Blocking Post From Users.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
NATURAL ANKLING

Blocking Post From Users.

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Do many people here Block Users Posts? I am not even sure what the means either?
I am just curios, I have never found the need to automatically block seeing some users post................
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
thirdcrank

Re: Blocking Post From Users.

Post by thirdcrank »

It would be interesting if it could be shown - a bit like likes and dislikes - how many members were ignoring who.

I don't use it much and whenever I occasionally do use it, most already on my list have moved on. My main criterion is avoiding dross. Occasionally, if I've inadvertently upset somebody and then been unable to resolve it by clarification, apology etc., I've put them on the list to avoid the risk of upsetting them again.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I've used it in the past (not any longer).

It is of limited use as whilst it will hide the posts made, often those posts will be quoted by others and the quotes are not blocked (or at least used not to be).

Ian
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I have used it twice, a note appears that the PNG, persona non grata, has posted, one may just click on it and read it if one dares
We have friends and foes, I think there should be a third category called "family" (people one loves to hate) :wink:

Have others used it, and why?

Do the moderators do a lot of unseen work, or do they mainly check new members?
I sometimes wonder whether some members are not only cyclists but also members of the BAD, british association of drivers :o
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
gaz

Post by gaz »

I haven't blocked any forum posts from any user, yet. PMs on the other hand :mrgreen: .
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I just checked. No entries.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Ok, I am not the sort to block anyone..............though I am not sure about the other way :?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Ok i dont think i have blocked anyone but how do i check. Are they listed in the foes :?: :? :? :?
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
gaz

Post by gaz »

Yes, if you add anyone to your foes list you can no longer see their posts (unless quoted by someone else).
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Had to go and check, but I still have one 'foe' listed.

The user has not been active in a while, but had no ability to type in a coherent or intelligible manner.
Additionally the content that I did manage to decode was utter tripe.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

gaz wrote:Yes, if you add anyone to your foes list you can no longer see their posts (unless quoted by someone else).
That's the problem in a nutshell.

Basically, if you are upset by someone's posts - perhaps they're picking on you? - you can still see what they're saying if they are quoted.

Not used the system on here, but I have on another forum. (360Maxi on the Fiatforum.com) You just need to ignore them and not use software to do it for you because it won't work 100% for you. There's bound to be some - or even many - posts coming through if they are a prolific poster.

Unless it works 100%, it's pointless.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Mick F wrote: ... Unless it works 100%, it's pointless.

It works by saving space. Not perfectly, but every little helps.

One feature I would like would be to be able to spike a whole thread, not because there's anything wrong with it, just to keep it out of the "unread thread" etc lists, when it's not something of personal interest. I suppose I notice this most if a thread has a cryptic or clickbait title.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Mick F wrote:Basically, if you are upset by someone's posts - perhaps they're picking on you? - you can still see what they're saying if they are quoted.
As it so happens, this is just what's happened to me a few days ago - in Another Place (nothing to do with cycling - and under a different username so don't go looking). And yes I am upset about it. These things happen. Best is to walk away. Whether that involves quitting the site for good or not - well, in my case I'm still undecided. It seriously messes up one of my post-retirement hobbies... :(
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

661-Pete wrote:
Mick F wrote:Basically, if you are upset by someone's posts - perhaps they're picking on you? - you can still see what they're saying if they are quoted.
As it so happens, this is just what's happened to me a few days ago - in Another Place (nothing to do with cycling - and under a different username so don't go looking). And yes I am upset about it. These things happen. Best is to walk away. Whether that involves quitting the site for good or not - well, in my case I'm still undecided. It seriously messes up one of my post-retirement hobbies... :(

I've little experience of other forums but I thought that moderators were supposed to keep on top of that kind of thing.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

There are not many nasty people on these fora, I have had arguments with a few but they are soon forgotten, is it different on non-cycling fora?
I really believe cyclists are a bit kinder than average, anyone disagree?

I do love railways, looked at some railway fora. The are new members, established members, senior members. Do they have uniforms and medals? :wink:
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 21 May 2018, 6:01pm, edited 1 time in total.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies