Did you get married in clothes related to your work or other activity?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Did you or would you get married in clothes related to your work or other activity?

Yes I did or would do
25%
No I didnt or wouldn't
69%
dont know
6%

Total votes: 16

thirdcrank

Re: Did you get married in clothes related to your work or other activity?

Post by thirdcrank »

gaz wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:... nudists ...

By definition nudists cannot get married in clothes related to their activity :wink: .

It's called a birthday suit.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

............. and I've been in mine for much of the day. Luxury of having a detached property. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Cunobelin wrote:Full no 1s (see Mick F's pic in the other thread)
Yep.
Also, been to funerals in No1s too, latterly to my dad's funeral April 1990. Thinking about it, that was the last civil occasion that I wore uniform.

Left the RN in 1996 and my uniform(s) have been in the loft ever since. I don't think I could part with them as they are a large part of me, and our, lives.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

thirdcrank wrote:
gaz wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:... nudists ...

By definition nudists cannot get married in clothes related to their activity :wink: .

It's called a birthday suit.

It has been done though..... Nudist Weddings are a genuine thing!!!!

So technically, you are translating the same outfit (or rather the lack of one) from an "other activity" to the Wedding

I will refrain from posting pics....
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Mick F wrote:
Yep.
Also, been to funerals in No1s too, latterly to my dad's funeral April 1990. Thinking about it, that was the last civil occasion that I wore uniform.

Left the RN in 1996 and my uniform(s) have been in the loft ever since. I don't think I could part with them as they are a large part of me, and our, lives.

Same year as me. I left under "Options for Change" - mine are also in the loft, although I don't think I would fit in these days

I also have somewhere in the loft, a picture frame with all my badges and the dates they were awarded including the 4 year service strips and LSGCM
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Cunobelin wrote:Same year as me. I left under "Options for Change"
I remember that.

I'd signed on for 22years - CS1 - and then for 32years - CS2 - to come out at aged 50.
I was a very senior CPO and Charge Chief (these days a WO2) and felt I'd done as much as I wanted. I had considered going for WO1 but to be frank, I'd had enough.

One day, I'd driven to Devonport - I cycled maybe three or four times a week - and walking down the jetty to my ship HMS Argyll, I thought, "What the heck, I'll just turn round and drive home. What are they going to do about it?"
I figured that someone like me at my seniority and position, all they would do would send me on sick leave. As it happens, I carried on to work and waited for the possible notification under Options for Change that I could hopefully be offered redundancy.
I saw my boss and registered my interest, but my position wasn't on the eventual list, so I gave my boss my resignation.

The poo hit the fan. :lol:
Remember, I was a very senior senior rating, head of group, departmental co-ordinator and the head honcho in all I surveyed in the Weapon Engineering Department and with a long and solid career foundation behind me.

"What's wrong with my ship?" the captain asked.
"Nothing" I replied, "It's just that I've had enough and want out."

I was supposed to give 18 months notice, but I was off the ship PDQ and they asked me when I wanted to leave. I went for early April so I got the next pay/pension rise. In the end, it was 13 months from seeing my boss and walking out HMS Drake main gate never to return.
Mick F. Cornwall
gnvqsos

Post by gnvqsos »

It would be absurd to wearwork-clothes to a wedding.Those that do this must place a rather too much importance on their occupation,and their own ego.Surely a marriage requires the two participants to relinquish their separate indivdual identities and forge a bond with their partner.it would reduce a serious ceremony to something akin to a farce.I wore a smart jacket and trousers,with a tie and black shoes- a distinct contrast with the attire I opted for in my teaching career.

What would a person wear if they were a gigolo,or a <i>[derogatory word removed]</i>?Worse still,would you want your wife to appear in a tabbard and headscarf or your husband dressed in a traffic warden's outfit.Worse still a marriage betwewen priests would create great confusion for any photographers!I have to say it is one of the silliest questions I have seen on this forum,and seems to have been posited in a gesture of spontaneity.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

gnvqsos wrote:It would be absurd to wearwork-clothes to a wedding.Those that do this must place a rather too much importance on their occupation,and their own ego.Surely a marriage requires the two participants to relinquish their separate indivdual identities and forge a bond with their partner.it would reduce a serious ceremony to something akin to a farce.I wore a smart jacket and trousers,with a tie and black shoes- a distinct contrast with the attire I opted for in my teaching career.

What would a person wear if they were a gigolo,or a <i>[derogatory word removed]</i>?Worse still,would you want your wife to appear in a tabbard and headscarf or your husband dressed in a traffic warden's outfit.Worse still a marriage betwewen priests would create great confusion for any photographers!I have to say it is one of the silliest questions I have seen on this forum,and seems to have been posited in a gesture of spontaneity.

The original conversation was a desperate attempt to criticise the royal wedding for wearing uniform. It was described as sinister and the claim made that uniform was only worn to prove one was "better". It was also claimed Forement did not get married in Uniform

This was refuted by pointing out that Service (Military and Emergency) personnel did not get married in uniform. The discussion was then extended t was then extended to "work clothes" and other groups to confuse the issue. It was never suggested that work clothes should be worn. The OP seems woefully ignorant that Dress Uniform is completely different from work clothes

Getting married in Uniform remains fully acceptable and is often the choice for those working in the groups under the original discussion.

It is up to the individual, if you have a common bond, (it is often how you met been a part of your lives this far, and something you both enjoy) whether that be a cycle club, Armed or Emergency Services and wish to use that as a wedding theme then why the vitriol and criticism of that choice.
Last edited by Cunobelin on 21 May 2018, 6:49am, edited 1 time in total.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Mick F wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:Same year as me. I left under "Options for Change"
I remember that.

I'd signed on for 22years - CS1 - and then for 32years - CS2 - to come out at aged 50.
I was a very senior CPO and Charge Chief (these days a WO2) and felt I'd done as much as I wanted. I had considered going for WO1 but to be frank, I'd had enough.

One day, I'd driven to Devonport - I cycled maybe three or four times a week - and walking down the jetty to my ship HMS Argyll, I thought, "What the heck, I'll just turn round and drive home. What are they going to do about it?"
I figured that someone like me at my seniority and position, all they would do would send me on sick leave. As it happens, I carried on to work and waited for the possible notification under Options for Change that I could hopefully be offered redundancy.
I saw my boss and registered my interest, but my position wasn't on the eventual list, so I gave my boss my resignation.

The poo hit the fan. :lol:
Remember, I was a very senior senior rating, head of group, departmental co-ordinator and the head honcho in all I surveyed in the Weapon Engineering Department and with a long and solid career foundation behind me.

"What's wrong with my ship?" the captain asked.
"Nothing" I replied, "It's just that I've had enough and want out."

I was supposed to give 18 months notice, but I was off the ship PDQ and they asked me when I wanted to leave. I went for early April so I got the next pay/pension rise. In the end, it was 13 months from seeing my boss and walking out HMS Drake main gate never to return.

I joined in 1976, and In some ways I had grown out of parts of the system. in 1995 I "failed" as a First Aid Instructor for not being direct and assertive enough. The reason I failed was that there was too much class involvement - I was "teaching" and not "instructing". I appealed, sent along my success rates in the First Aid Courses and the questionnaires that I took at the end of each course, then gave my references and assessments as a University Lecturer. I was placed under remedial assessment by the local Education Officer, who attended one class, and I was reinstated, so I was a little disillusioned

They cut our branch from 32 to 6!

So after discussion with the PMO, I worded mine carefully to the effect that due to drafting and limitations of Service life further service with the RN was detrimental. to my Academic and Professional career........ was one of the first to be selected!

Came out 4 months later and took a one month locum contract at my present place of work, and somehow never left
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Mick F wrote:
Yep.

That was an eye-opener for me, and superb attention to detail.

We were pall bearers for a close colleague, and had to rehearse everything so that it was right on the day.

The coffin that we had to practice with was weighted exactly to the weight of our colleague so we were rehearsing as closely as possible to the day
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I joined in 1975 and despite an amazing and exciting time registered for the "Options For Change" redundancy programme for which i was accepted but due to staff shortages ( you couldn't make it up) i actually served until September 1997.
I was given pension and seniority rights until September 1998, for reasons i have never been sure about, possibly SDNI.
Then recently on a letter from the veterans association it had my end of service date as September 2002.
SO ...5 years standard reserve service that goes with a 22 year service term. ???

The Battle of Britain Ball was on the 23rd September 1997 and i handed my ID card in at the Guardroom at RAF Conningsby the following day on leaving the mess with my wife.
Still miss it!

As for the birthday suits .... we had 2 years with the house next to us unoccupied. My wife and i spent many a day wandering around the garden, reading the paper on the decking and carefully barbecuing in only our sandles ... on a couple of occasions our son turned up (late teens) with a couple of friends in tow .... the screams as they fled the garden where worth it !
Last edited by landsurfer on 21 May 2018, 7:18am, edited 1 time in total.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

landsurfer wrote:Still miss it!
I joined up in September 1969 and left April 1996.
I was rated CPO in December 1976, so I was a chief for nearly 20years.

Do I miss it?
I'm not sure at all.
I get "tired and emotional" about the memories and the life, but I'm glad I'm out. I have dreams about still being in, or being called back.
I used to enjoy - nay relish - the fixing and maintenance side of my life. I tended to be drafted into the surface weapons side on my ships, but I was shorebased in Faslane submarine base working on the cryptography equipment - very very interesting and stimulating.

Going into middle management, I was a fish out of water at first, but eventually loved it, though latterly I lost the plot and had had enough. Part of me wanted to jack the management in and go back to actually working on the equipment rather than being in charge of people working on the equipment.

I've always been better with a screwdriver than a pen.
Mick F. Cornwall
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Mick F wrote:
landsurfer wrote:Still miss it!
I joined up in September 1969 and left April 1996.
I was rated CPO in December 1976, so I was a chief for nearly 20 years.

That was the reason i left, the prospect of being a Chief Tech for the rest of my working life was not appealing.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Who joins the forces now, is it hard to find the right people, does one have to be very smart?

I remember reading Cunobelin stopped shaving 1976, now I know why :wink:

I like the idea of wearing traffic wardens uniform, or priests getting married, might look like the consecration of bishops in the vatican, lots of uniformed priests in the audience too
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Slightly OT I know of two funerals - or at least the wake or memorial service afterwards where club members were encouraged to wear the cycling club jersey. That's a sort of uniform and evidently in both cases cycling was a huge part of the deceased's life.