A suitcase full of photographic wonder: John Turner

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

A suitcase full of photographic wonder: John Turner

Post by mercalia »

I hope they are put on display in a gallery in london, maybe the Photographers Gallery.
Haberdasher's, Canning Town, London, 1938
Haberdasher's, Canning Town, London, 1938

Berwick Street Market, Soho, London, 1957
Berwick Street Market, Soho, London, 1957

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-43782267
Cunobelin

Re: A suitcase full of photographic wonder: John Turner

Post by Cunobelin »

I was reading an article about the problem of digital photography

There are frequent finds such as these, which give a superb insight into our post

Now they are all on hard drives and will simply be lost to posterity
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Cunobelin wrote:I was reading an article about the problem of digital photography

There are frequent finds such as these, which give a superb insight into our post

I do like the one with the monster bloomers :lol:

I think the issue is that who will bother to look at whats on an old hard drive ( assuming it can be connected to a future pc)? A box of pictures shows what it is without any effort at all. An old pc with its hard disc will just be tossed into the skip?
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

mercalia wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:I was reading an article about the problem of digital photography

I think the issue is that who will bother to look at whats on an old hard drive ( assuming it can be connected to a future pc)? A box of pictures shows what it is without any effort at all. An old pc with its hard disc will just be tossed into the skip?

... as someone once said:

I can read the dead see scrolls, but try and get a 30 year old tax return off a 5 1/4 droopy disc
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Cunobelin wrote:
mercalia wrote:

I can read the dead see scrolls, but try and get a 30 year old tax return off a 5 1/4 droopy disc

I have a drive, and a PC that will accept it...
I can't be the only one, and I'm absolutely positive that various computing museums would have the capacity as well..
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:
mercalia wrote:

I can't be the only one, and I'm absolutely positive that various computing museums would have the capacity as well..

but the chances are if these pictures had been digital on the old gents ancient pc, the relatives would probably have just dumped the old pc in a skip - it would be an old 286/386 era pc - not bothering to look?
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

[XAP]Bob wrote:

Have you tested a diskette lately? I ask because a few years ago I found that neither of the two 3.5" floppy drives I had in working PCs would read any of the floppies in my collection. I suspect both drives had quietly accumulated too much dust while relatively unused, but it may be that the magnetic patterns on the disc surfaces had degraded in the 5 or so years I'd stored them.
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot