2 stroke brushcutter engine issues

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
thirdcrank

Re: 2 stroke brushcutter engine issues

Post by thirdcrank »

That cheapo model is on Amazon for the same price. Only a couple of reviews and not very good.

I get the impression you are looking for reasons to shell out and I'd suggest it's what you should do. AFAIK, you need heavy-grade kit for your land. OTOH, some jobs are infrequent. They still need doing properly. I'd say if you get professional kit it will last you for years, as the old stuff has done. Also, you have the mentality and skills to prefer regular maintenance to disposable.

My garden isn't huge, so I can manage with mains electrical stuff, so I've not had to bother with petrol. As a casual observer, it seems likely to get trouble from infrequent use. My only experience of two-stroke engines was on my BSA Bantam and what a palaver. Reading this thread, I'm amazed the technology persists. FWIW I'd be looking for 4 stroke.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Yeah get a Honda four stroke Mick F!! I thought you were the Dartmoor legend? :lol:
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Paulatic wrote:After going through similar problems with our old Husky I bought a Honda.
We’ve had it about 10 yrs now, 4 stroke, and certainly kick ass. I change the oil every year and that’s all That’s needed done.

Hi,
If only all things were "Honda" :) You cant knock them, have many Honda bikes still have, lost count how many I have, Honda car also several all the same model 545 twin............1980's 40 mpg flat out around town................
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, shell out for another.

It's like owning a clapped out car. You can keep tinkering and repairing bits, but eventually it's better to shell out on a replacement. Done that many times over the years. Cut your losses, and move on.
Mick F. Cornwall
pwa

Post by pwa »

I used to buy and use strimmers / brushcutters professionally, and I would always buy from a reasonably local outfit that also repairs and services (so not internet) and buy the best, not something cheap. A good machine will save you stress and effort. For heavy duty use you want something of the grade that council workers would use, with a pair of proper handholds and a good harness, not a strap over one shoulder. A good harness, where the machine clips on at the hip, reduces body aches.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

But it may be something small and silly of course.
There's not that much major that can go adrift with a 2stroke. Crank seals or bearings - then it's knackered.
An ignition fault cause can be hard to find but should be easy to diagnose- it has a good spark when it doesn't run or not!
If the spark is good and "fat" and you eliminate the plug by substitution then really it can only be a fuel issue.
Putting fuel directly into the carb inlet will let you tell if the blooming thing will fire and run.

Does the machine have a fuel primer or did you previously have to pull it to get fuel pumping?
Last edited by PDQ Mobile on 2 Jun 2018, 10:59am, edited 1 time in total.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

pwa wrote:I used to buy and use strimmers / brushcutters professionally, and I would always buy from a reasonably local outfit that also repairs and services (so not internet) and buy the best, not something cheap. A good machine will save you stress and effort. For heavy duty use you want something of the grade that council workers would use, with a pair of proper handholds and a good harness, not a strap over one shoulder. A good harness, where the machine clips on at the hip, reduces body aches.

A Council worker with a strimmer is an unknown sight round here!!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Mention of Honda takes me back again to my BSA Bantam 175. Without doubt, the mistake I made was in not going for a C50 which would have been so much more reliable and faster.

For anybody concerned about emissions, without rejecting internal combustion in favour of a scythe, 2-stroke seems a strange choice. The need to burn lubricating oil doesn't help keeping the exhaust clean. I did quite a high mileage commuting on mine - around 10,000 miles p.a. - and keeping the silencer clear wasn't easy. With something hanging round your neck, you're inhaling it. It's a romantic aroma and all that, memories of youth etc., but not clean.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Went out shopping today, and called in at Southwest Garden Machinery having 'phoned first.
http://www.southwestgardenmachinery.co.uk
The Echo one had gone, but they had a pre-owned Tanaka professional brushcutter ready for sale though needs going through the workshop for a service. I saw the thing and it's just what I need and maybe in the region of £200 and a current model. Could be a week yet, but I've bagged it and when it's ready, they'll get in touch. I'll bite their hands off when it's ready.

This one:
http://www.tanakapowerequipment.co.uk/t ... xKiMbRH1E4

Price brand new?
http://www.mowdirect.co.uk/tanaka-tbc-5 ... utter.html
Mick F. Cornwall
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

thirdcrank wrote:Mention of Honda takes me back again to my BSA Bantam 175. Without doubt, the mistake I made was in not going for a C50 which would have been so much more reliable and faster.

For anybody concerned about emissions, without rejecting internal combustion in favour of a scythe, 2-stroke seems a strange choice. The need to burn lubricating oil doesn't help keeping the exhaust clean. I did quite a high mileage commuting on mine - around 10,000 miles p.a. - and keeping the silencer clear wasn't easy. With something hanging round your neck, you're inhaling it. It's a romantic aroma and all that, memories of youth etc., but not clean.

The advantage of 2 stroke (and why it's so used) is relative light weight and the ability to rev to speed very fast.
The emissions are clearly not healthy but a quality 2T oil at 50:1 is different to an old Bantam. Oily residue in the exhaust is simply not present.

And at risk of thread drift a decent lightweight scythe (Austria make the best) can be a thing of some joy on a summers evening!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PDQ Mobile wrote:And at risk of thread drift a decent lightweight scythe (Austria make the best) can be a thing of some joy on a summers evening!
I'll let you scythe to your heart's content.

We had one at home when I was a yoof and tried it. Damned hard work and was a devil to sharpen using a long hand-held stone. Nearly had my hand off! :shock:
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

poldark.png
poldark.png (80.78 KiB) Viewed 211 times
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I was a bit younger back then, and older and wiser now.
Mick F. Cornwall
pete75

Post by pete75 »

PDQ Mobile wrote:And at risk of thread drift a decent lightweight scythe (Austria make the best) can be a thing of some joy on a summers evening!

Nooo. The best scythes are blacksmith made. Easy to pick up at Saturday auctions round here. Quite often a lovingly cared for blacksmith made scythe turns up blade well greased and wrapped in sacking usually complete with sharpening stone. They go for under a fiver. I presume they come from dead people's house clearances.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pwa

Post by pwa »

pete75 wrote:

Nooo. The best scythes are blacksmith made. Easy to pick up at Saturday auctions round here. Quite often a lovingly cared for blacksmith made scythe turns up blade well greased and wrapped in sacking usually complete with sharpening stone. They go for under a fiver. I presume they come from dead people's house clearances.

The trouble with blacksmith scythes is the weight. And getting a razor edge is a chore and a half. But if you have a big area to cover on a regular basis you are better off with a petrol brushcutter.