Us boycott

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
roberts8

Us boycott

Post by roberts8 »

A friend is fed up with Trump and said he was going to boycott everything American. It made me think that US cycling goods could go up in price and how difficult would it be to avoid US goods. I assume he will still use Microsoft and google so boycotting could be difficult, it just made me think in relation to cycle gear.
Thornyone

Re: Us boycott

Post by Thornyone »

I detest Trump and hope that the people of the US come to their senses before too long (though a great many didn’t want Trump anyhow). I do buy White Lightning lube and though I don’t need more at present I would get more if necessary. Not sure about trade boycotts: there are reasons to dislike aspects of numerous countries. I must say that I am currently quite carefully checking my fruit and veg to try to avoid buying Israeli produce, due to their very heavy handed tactics against protesters. OTOH, there are aspects of Israel that I certainly approve of (advanced and tolerant on some social issues) and also plenty of Jews there don’t support the government’s excesses, so I suppose I could be accused of inconsistency.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I try to buy local stuff and only seasonal but sometimes things from far away are cheaper :?

We can get everything we need in Europe but the English American literature is a plus, just read Everyman by Philip Roth

Of course we can stay friends with Canada, right?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pwa

Post by pwa »

About a week ago I was in Tesco and picked up a bottle of a particular Californian red wine that I like. Then I thought of Trump's tariff on steel from Port Talbot and put the bottle back on the shelf. So my boycott began about a week ago.