Should I go on tour?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
gbnz

Should I go on tour?

Post by gbnz »

Any thoughts?

My employed role has become unbearable, not because it's stressful, demanding, time consuming or anything of that sort (The role is well below my abilities/experience levels), but merely because of the bureaucratic nature of the organisation and certain individuals. I'm currently facing unfounded allegations of this and that, of which I know I will be found GUILTY - not because of any fault on my part, but due to the inability of individuals who've spent 30 years in one role to think out of the box (I.e.. I've been subject to heavy criticism amongst others, due to my failure to wear a bicycle helmet when cycling into work, because it's illegal, it's unsafe, you're not allowed to cycle into work without wearing a bicycle helmet; though I believe these allegations may be dropped from formal disciplinary action, as has the suggestion that locking my bicycle to a bicycle sheffield stand outside the office is "wrong" , because nobody does that:shock: - I kid you not, I've actually been TOLD this).

Now that we've hit summer, I've seriously considered chucking the job in, chucking my stuff in storage and heading off on a short tour for 6-10 weeks, prior to my return and the job hunt. On reflection another route with fewer financial conequences beckons; what about going through the motions at work and focusing on cycling / getting fit in a stunning part of the country, prior to my role being terminated (Nb. You weren't quite up to it, you haven't met our expectations, you took a bite out of your sandwich at your desk instead of going to the room where WE eat our sandwiches, you were seen to loosen your shoe laces (On a hot day) which is against our rules because it's inappropriate).

reohn2

Re: Should I go on tour?

Post by reohn2 »

It all sounds like a vendetta but why? :?
You could chuck the job and seek a better more fulfilling job or see it out to find out how ridiculous your employer's claims are.
It all sounds a bit weird TBH
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

To quote my boss at my first job when I was 16,
"You spend 1/3 of your life working. 1/3 sleeping. And if you're lucky, the other 1/3 sh***ing. You might aswell be happy at work."

Another way of looking at it is that at the age of 41 in October last year I had a stroke. Who has a stroke at 41? I still suffer from severe fatigue and dizzy spells.
You never know what's round the corner just waiting to bite you. Never mind thinking "I have retirement to have fun and enjoy life".
You may not have that long. Pack the job in and go touring while you still can.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

gbnz wrote: ... My employed role has become unbearable, not because it's stressful, demanding, time consuming or anything of that sort (The role is well below my abilities/experience levels), but merely because of the bureaucratic nature of the organisation and certain individuals. ...

Over 30 years ago, when occupational stress was only just beginning to be recognised, I was sent on a three-day residential course to become my force's expert on occupational stress. (This was in the immediate aftermath of the tragic fire at Valley Parade in Bradford.)

The definition of stress on that course was along the lines of "when the perceived demands on the individual are not balanced by their ability to cope." ie It's not only too much pressure; an undemanding job can be stressful. Also, if you have no channel to challenge jobsworth attitudes, that can be stressful using the same "balance" analysis.

(I was saved any stress when a change of bosses meant somebody else got the role I'd been trained for.)
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Whether you chuck in your job or whether you are dismissed, you presumably will be seeing Jobseeker's Allowance or whatever it is called. You need to check what the implications are for both cases. When I had to sign on 40 years ago, the staff were very aggressive because I had left my job voluntarily. They grudgingly admitted that moving 300 miles because my husband had got a new job was a valid reason but I was still made to feel like a work-shy pariah.

I don't know whether today they would cut your benefit - OTOH you might also be penalised for having been dismissed. One possibility might be to hang on until they push you out, then claim constructive dismissal, but the stress levels would be huge and I expect you wouldn't want to go there.

How easy will it be for you to find another job? (I was able to retrain and become self-employed.) Vantage is right - you only have one life and looking after yourself is most important. Good luck, whatever you do.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

My own thoughts on your situation: Too many variables and considerations we are unaware of to make any useful or helpful comment. e.g. Your financial situation (commitments, savings, income, requirements, etc., etc.), your "employability" (is the whole world desperately short of your skill set or would finding another job be a struggle, your age (pension situation, etc.). So much depends on so many factors.

From my own personal experience, think very carefully whether a summer touring could cost far far longer in a miserable situation. How would whatever is happening (or has happened) affect your employment prospects (e.g. letters of reference) - could it be crucial to "see through" the current issues to "clear your record" before moving on. I can't suggest any path but do remember that you are not (normally) tied to your existing company for life but it could be that enduring a few more months could (or might not) put you in a better long term position.

Sometimes making a decision can receive stress, even if the action is some way away e.g. deciding that you will <whatever> once <whatever> (e.g. in 6 months time) then the decision has been made so one can sometimes then relax and become less wound-up by daftness around you because it's all ending in e.g. 5 months 18 days.

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

LollyKat wrote:.....One possibility might be to hang on until they push you out, then claim constructive dismissal, but the stress levels would be huge and I expect you wouldn't want to go there.

This aspect has possibilities depending on the details of their "case" and the nature of the individuals involved. Once into whatever path they take if you face ineffectual weak individuals then maybe a few comments like "I'll need what you just said recorded and a copy please because it will be relevant to the Employment Tribunal I suspect will be happening ..." and "Accusing me of breaking the law when no laws have been broken will be very relevant to the Employment Tribunal we seem to be moving towards ..." will basically let them know you wont be quietly drifting out and might get them thinking about some sort of "pay-off" with you keeping a clean record (some sort of early retirement or voluntary redundancy). Of course much depends on the individuals and the situation and never phrase as a threat, only if you think it would help you and to inform them as to your inclination.

Ian
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

As something like this may eventually go further, I'll offer a couple of suggestions.

Over something like the helmet wearing, use the official grievance procedure, right to the top, so at least you will have the employer's reasoned view, rather than something which later can be presented differently.

Unless something has changed, incapacity through stress ins't something an employer can be expected to anticipate. So, if you were required to work in a hostle environment without the correct personal protective equipment, an employer should know of the dangers to your health and would be liable. With stress, which is much more related to the individual, they need to be alerted for you to have a compo claim if you subsequently suffer from stress. This needs care because I read something once where the advice to employers was at the first suggestion of stress, dismiss the employee for incapacity, which would be cheaper in the long run.

This tends to be the type of thing which is caused by rubbish management and rubbish managers tend not to like criticism.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

gbnz wrote:Any thoughts?

My employed role has become unbearable, not because it's stressful, demanding, time consuming or anything of that sort (The role is well below my abilities/experience levels), but merely because of the bureaucratic nature of the organisation and certain individuals. I'm currently facing unfounded allegations of this and that, of which I know I will be found GUILTY - not because of any fault on my part, but due to the inability of individuals who've spent 30 years in one role to think out of the box (I.e.. I've been subject to heavy criticism amongst others, due to my failure to wear a bicycle helmet when cycling into work, because it's illegal, it's unsafe, you're not allowed to cycle into work without wearing a bicycle helmet; though I believe these allegations may be dropped from formal disciplinary action, as has the suggestion that locking my bicycle to a bicycle sheffield stand outside the office is "wrong" , because nobody does that:shock: - I kid you not, I've actually been TOLD this).

Now that we've hit summer, I've seriously considered chucking the job in, chucking my stuff in storage and heading off on a short tour for 6-10 weeks, prior to my return and the job hunt. On reflection another route with fewer financial conequences beckons; what about going through the motions at work and focusing on cycling / getting fit in a stunning part of the country, prior to my role being terminated (Nb. You weren't quite up to it, you haven't met our expectations, you took a bite out of your sandwich at your desk instead of going to the room where WE eat our sandwiches, you were seen to loosen your shoe laces (On a hot day) which is against our rules because it's inappropriate).

My thought is that an internet forum is a poor place to seek advice for such a problem, not least because we only have your definition of it. Then there's the difficulty that none of us are you.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

thirdcrank wrote:
gbnz wrote: ; an undemanding job can be stressful. Also, if you have no channel to challenge jobsworth attitudes, that can be stressful using the same "balance" analysis.

Thanks to all, that about sums it up.

On balance I've now put my employer into a situation in which they'll have to respond. I won't be terminating my own employment prior to obtaining offers elsewhere, but would be reasonably happy if they push me out, in which case several weeks on tour beckon (Nb. I've no liabilities preventing me taking a break).

I'll continue ignoring the instructions on wearing a cycle helmet, using a sheffield stand, not wearing striped socks et al
rjb

Post by rjb »

Are you in the trade union? If not why not. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

rjb wrote:Are you in the trade union? If not why not. :wink:

+1
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I think these fora are great for asking such questions

Google the interweb too and ask people you know outside work

Often doing nothing for a while is a good choice
Ask yourself if you might regret going
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
hondated

Post by hondated »

Given your situation my first response would be to take sick leave. This will give you breathing space to gather your thoughts and to decide what you really want to do.
As for the criticism you have already received you should really just ignore it as it seems so infantile.
Before retiring myself I was a Shop Steward / Staff Rep and for these type of issues belonging to a Trade Union can be very helpful.
Its when an issue gravitates to the upper echelons of union management I can have an issue.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Be difficult...

Cite the examples where you have been bullied by ill informed management over simple things like the choice over cycle helmets

Then claim constructive dismissal to finance your tour