Isle Of Man TT.......ITV4

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
NATURAL ANKLING

Isle Of Man TT.......ITV4

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
If your suffering withdrawal of Grand Tours...........must warn you some reports of dead riders already.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Isle Of Man TT.......ITV4

Hi,
Interesting today or yesterday they were talking class zero IIRC, electric lapping at 120 mph :o
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Interesting today or yesterday they were talking class zero IIRC, electric lapping at 120 mph :o

The TT Zero bikes are definitely interesting but SO boring to watch.....you don't hear them coming and then they flash past with just a 'Whooosh' of tyre noise, and they only do one lap.

MotoE (electric GP bikes) is coming to the MotoGP paddock in 2019. I will be popping to the bar when that's on.

I still miss the two strokes.....memories eh ??
hondated

Post by hondated »

Tiberius wrote:

The TT Zero bikes are definitely interesting but SO boring to watch.....you don't hear them coming and then they flash past with just a 'Whooosh' of tyre noise, and they only do one lap.

MotoE (electric GP bikes) is coming to the MotoGP paddock in 2019. I will be popping to the bar when that's on.

Totally agree with you on zero bikes. Got into a discussion with a fella at TT2015 and he just didnt get it at all. Yes I agreed it is the future and the technology involved is terrific but for me a spectator they did nothing for me at all.
Even got into a short discussion with Mc Pint on Twitter about them . My opinion was Classic bikes = Exhaust noise , Modern bikes = Speed, Zero bikes
nothing.
Dare say I could ride a zero bike but probably have to be slowly.

As for deaths I hate the TT but at the same time love it. Dont agree with the " died doing what he loved" train of thought at all but if they are willing to take the risk there is not a lot I can do about it. As you clearly know Tiberius when your actually standing by the road you just cannot believe how fast they are going past.
As I write my thoughts are with one of our local lads TT rider Steve Mercer and his family who is seriously ill in hospital having collided with a course car traveling to an earlier incident in which a young rider was killed.
Whippet

Post by Whippet »

It seems that the TT has run an excellent social media campaign this year. My Facebook feed has been full of amazing TT on board footage. I’m sure it will result in more fans wanting to visit next year.
I’m actually off to the Island later this afternoon, I was due to do a cycle timetrial around the TT course on Sunday ( The Nelson Memorial TT ) but annoyingly it was cancelled at short notice due to roadworks. I did this event last year and can confirm that the course seems more hilly on a cycle than motorbike. All is not lost as I’ll be changing bike to my Mercian and will do a perm Audax around the island instead.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
William Dunlop killed yesterday practice racing :(
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/northern-ireland/44754057
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Tiberius wrote:

Or the MV 3 - glorious noise

[youtube]f410HRvyOjw[/youtube]
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Yes, memories of the BSA and Trident, probably came after the racing mv's etc?
Very distinctive sound.
My brother had a XS Yamaha 750 triple, even that was fun to drive for a Yamaha...ha...ha :)
If you listen carefully you will find many small cars and micro vans using a triple small cc motor.

My Subaru was a 1200cc triple, Subaru Sumo 4x4, incredible fun to drive and real pocket rocket, just watch the understeer on roadabouts 8)
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Yes, memories of the BSA and Trident, probably came after the racing mv's etc?
Very distinctive sound.

Yep. Am sorely tempted to buy this - managing to resist so far.

https://wesellclassicbikes.co.uk/parts-and-projects/534
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Early Rocket Threes late Trident T160, had the lovely slopping motor :)
Brother had last 160 made, mate two in fact had rocket threes, there is a local runs a business importing all the USA stuff we sent out, last time I looked there were rocket threes......................
hondated

Post by hondated »

Early Rocket Threes late Trident T160, had the lovely slopping motor :)
Brother had last 160 made, mate two in fact had rocket threes, there is a local runs a business importing all the USA stuff we sent out, last time I looked there were rocket threes......................

If only they had brought out earlier NA but by the time they did we had the Honda 4 & others. My all time favourite was a Triumph Thruxton Bonneville which are rarer than Goldstars now.
Still trying to get over the loss of William. He was like all the Dunlops such a nice fella and never sought the limelight. Linda Joes wife got it right when she said he was like Joe in that he was a quiet fella and just loved racing bikes.
For all our cycling colleagues I have also read he liked to get out on his bicycle as well.
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

Sad news. A really nice guy, nowhere near as 'abrasive' as Michael.
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

pete75 wrote:
Yep. Am sorely tempted to buy this - managing to resist so far.

https://wesellclassicbikes.co.uk/parts-and-projects/534

It needs painting......I'm thinking 'Slippery Sam'.....I'm sure you know what I mean.... :)
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Oh..............I did ride a Rob North trident :shock:
Like 900 ducati......let the clutch out and doing 30+ mph.............minimal turning lock........then the throttle jammed :evil:

After a while it was a bit pleasant.
hondated

Post by hondated »

Tiberius wrote:

Sad news. A really nice guy, nowhere near as 'abrasive' as Michael.

Your right he was more like Joe his uncle if you met him very quiet and self effacing. Funnily enough, but I must add I am a Dunlop fan, met Michael a few times and has always been friendly and polite. I must also add that given their purpose at the TT I never expect to get into deep conversation with any of the riders.