World cup - looking forward?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Si

World cup - looking forward?

Post by Si »

The cheese rolling :wink: is almost upon us in Russia!

Are you looking forward to it, and if so why.....
1. you love see some top class sportsmen performing at one of the greatest sporting events in the year
2. you are in England and busy planning quiet rides on empty roads while Eng-er-land are playing (just as long as you get home before the end of the match when everyone comes out the pub, jumps in their cars and looks to vent their rage after Eng-er-land giving a lack lustre performance (against a country they've never heard of) for 89 minutes then 1 minute of the English goal keeper inexplicably chucking the ball into the back of his own net)
mjr

Re: World cup - looking forward?

Post by mjr »

I am looking forward to a world-class event that will have world-class drug testing and consequently people realising that cycling has far from a monopoly on doping.

But it's in Russia, isn't it? So fat chance of that!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

nope dont have a tv. dont care one fig
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

mercalia wrote:nope dont have a tv. dont care one fig
Plus One. :D

I follow current affairs, so no doubt I'll be paying attention, but do I actually care enough to go somewhere to watch the tournament?
No.
Mick F. Cornwall
hamster

Post by hamster »

In the words of Guy Martin: 'I find it hard to get excited about watching 22 millionaires chase a bag of wind round a field.' (Or some such)
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

The good news:
It'll only last three matches, so far as the E****nd team are concerned, so all those silly flags on the cars will be coming off almost as soon as they've gone up...
The bad news:
This means we'll only have a few days of traffic-free roads - albeit at only 90 minutes a shot, they don't stay traffic-free for very long!

Anyway, we're off to France next week....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
mjr

Post by mjr »

mercalia wrote:nope dont have a tv. dont care one fig

I understand that you can also follow the matches on the same system that brings you these discussions, or on the latest versions of those great 1920s sound broadcast reception devices.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

661-Pete wrote:This means we'll only have a few days of traffic-free roads - albeit at only 90 minutes a shot, they don't stay traffic-free for very long!

I think it's 110 minutes in ideal conditions these days: the players get a 20 minute rest after 45ish minutes, plus they usually play a few minutes more than 45 in a attempt to make up for time lost when people roll around the floor pretending to be hurt. After the first three games, when they cannot have a bore draw, they then play another 30 minutes with some rest and lost time and then march up and down the field taking single kicks, so overall match clock time often approaches three hours.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

I won't be watching it, in fact I'd rather go out into the back garden and wash my hair in the birdbath!
rjb

Post by rjb »

Na! It's all over now! Took place last week. :lol:
Spot the cheese.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

This is the first Football World Cup where I just don't feel bothered. I'm hoping to get into it when it starts because I loved the sport when I was younger and played it into my mid-20's but for the past 15 years or so I've much preferred the Rugby World Cup. Anyway, the highlight of my sporting calendar on TV happens in April... Paris-Roubaix!! It's the only Sunday in the year when Mrs. Spinners allows me to take Sunday lunch into the lounge and I'm excused washing up :wink:
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
gnvqsos

Post by gnvqsos »

I agree-I have no real interest.This will probably mean that the tam will shoch us all by winning two matches.They have the element of surprise in as much as they can only outperform expectations.In 1970 they could have picked a reserve team better than the current players-how many current players would make a World XI?Southgate could even pick homself and strengthen the sieve that is our defence.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

hamster wrote:In the words of Guy Martin: 'I find it hard to get excited about watching 22 millionaires chase a bag of wind round a field.' (Or some such)

Neues Deutschland: for many, Heimat (homeland) means worshipping a dozen millionaires every couple of years

In Belgium too, there will be some great times for cycling or walking when many people stay home with the tivi, it will be very quiet out
The celebrations after could be problematic though

One earnestly hopes the cops do not tolerate flags on vehicles

My favourite sport is Eisteddfod Cenedlaethol Cymru, in Caerdydd! And cycling of course
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I'm really looking forward to France 2019. Italy and Spain have already qualified, and Sweden have a rising star in Stina Blackstenius.

But I will probably watch a few games in the men's tournament leading up to it. ;)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

No! The TV will be full of it and I've never liked football. If it was Rugby Union or Cricket I'd feel differently.
The following football enjoys it will please a lot of people.
I take comfort that the TDF is not far away :D