World cup - looking forward?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cunobelin

Re: World cup - looking forward?

Post by Cunobelin »

My mother suffers from Dementia, and has not been happy for the last week or so.. my brother had to explain that as a proud Scot she was probably unnerved by the flags, took the ones out of her room and replaced with a Saltire, she is much happier
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

We went out for a meal during one of the games in which England played. We were the only ones in the restaurant. Even though staff were watching the game, we had an excellent meal, and good service.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

What's all this guff about Germany on the news?
From a quick Google, they came second in 2002, 3rd in 2006, and 3rd again in 2010, then won in 2014.
Good history, but they are newcomers to the competition.

Flash in the pan.
Mick F. Cornwall
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Mick F wrote:What's all this guff about Germany on the news?
From a quick Google, they came second in 2002, 3rd in 2006, and 3rd again in 2010, then won in 2014.

Flash in the pan.

Germany first played in the football World Cup in 1934.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Deutschland ist raus, Germany is out!

Who should the millions or German fans support now? What will happen with the fan merchandise, special beer &c &c? Nobody expected this! €€€ could some of the stuff be sold in England? :wink: Will Ms Merkel have to go?*

* she is in a difficult situation with her political friends, it is complicated and has nothing to do with football
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

pete75 wrote:

Flash in the pan.

Then what?
2nd World War, then Germany was split into two parts.
Germany didn't enter the World Cup again until when? 1992?
Mick F. Cornwall
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Mick F wrote:
pete75 wrote:

Flash in the pan.

Then what?
2nd World War, then Germany was split into two parts.
Germany didn't enter the World Cup again until when? 1992?

I believe Germany sometimes had two teams in the world cup in some years. In any case there has been a team from Germany in almost every world cup since 1934. The fact that Germany was split into two parts didn't stop it from being Germany.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pwa

Post by pwa »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Deutschland ist raus, Germany is out!

Who should the millions or German fans support now? What will happen with the fan merchandise, special beer &c &c? Nobody expected this! €€€ could some of the stuff be sold in England? :wink: Will Ms Merkel have to go?*

* she is in a difficult situation with her political friends, it is complicated and has nothing to do with football

I would offer my condolences but I know Germany's footballing woes are not something that bothers you. In the UK we are more used to footballing failure and Germany could learn from us. First, your football media need to turn on the national team's coach, blame him for everything and make his life a misery. Then turn on the players whose lack of commitment makes them unfit to continue living. Following all that, get on with real life and regain a sense of perspective. It works for us.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

pete75 wrote: The fact that Germany was split into two parts didn't stop it from being Germany.
Yes it did.
We're not talking about a country name, but a football team name.
It was West Germany in the competition until re-unification.
Mick F. Cornwall
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Mick F wrote:
pete75 wrote: The fact that Germany was split into two parts didn't stop it from being Germany.
Yes it did.

If you want to be pedantic then you're wrong. No such country as West Germany ever existed nor East Germany for that matter - they were the Bundesrepublik Deutschland or Federal Republic of Germany in English and Deutsche Demokratische Republik - German Democratic Republic. Both had teams in the world cup.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

In that case isn't it really Inger-land not England? Judging by what the goons that support it say.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

West Germany was the name of the famous football World Cup team and the team that came second in 1968, not Germany.
England played West Germany in 1968.

(The whole of) Germany's international football team wouldn't have got going again until after re-unification.

Quote from BBC:
Germany failed to make it past the first stage of the World Cup for the first time since 1938.

True, I'm sure, but there's no mention that Germany (as an international football team) weren't in the competition for about fifty years.
Mick F. Cornwall
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Mick F wrote:West Germany was the name of the famous football World Cup team and the team that came second in 1968, not Germany.
England played West Germany in 1968.

(The whole of) Germany's international football team wouldn't have got going again until after re-unification.

Quote from BBC:
Germany failed to make it past the first stage of the World Cup for the first time since 1938.

True, I'm sure, but there's no mention that Germany (as an international football team) weren't in the competition for about fifty years.

Wrong - there wasn't a world cup tournament in 1968.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You knew I meant 1966!
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

pete75 wrote:
Mick F wrote:
Yes it did.

If you want to be pedantic then you're wrong. No such country as West Germany ever existed nor East Germany for that matter - they were the Bundesrepublik Deutschland or Federal Republic of Germany in English and Deutsche Demokratische Republik - German Democratic Republic. Both had teams in the world cup.

J'aime l'Allemand, I love Germany so much I am glad there are two of them!
-French politrickian
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies