Who should we be boycotting?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Pastychomper

Re: Who should we be boycotting?

Post by Pastychomper »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Seems a bit perverse to fly flowers and vegs from Africa, both contain a lot of water which is short down there

One product that should certainly be boycotted is bottled water. I used to work at a firm that provided water in glass bottles free for staff. We were on the third floor with no lift, the servicepersons had to heave the crates on sack trucks up the stairs and the empties down again, heavy glass bottles weigh almost as much empty. They were a couple of gents 50+, wonder if their health suffered

I always drank tap water, can't remember being challenged about it, what arguments could I have used?

Sounds like the kind of exercise that might well have done them the world of good if they did it often enough. :lol: I agree though that transporting bottles of water about is usually daft, especially now we have that miracle of engineering, the pipe.
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Palm oil

Enormous areas of wilderness are being destroyed to produce it

Until it was "discovered" a few decades ago we did well enough without it. PO is used in Scottish Oatcakes, what did granny use back then? Home-made butter probably, +1

Quite unnecessary IMHO, it is transported great distances

I am sure the lives of the people who produce it could be improved in less destructive ways
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Palm oil is nothing new. See Wiki. It has been in use for millennia - and its use as a lubricant dates from the Industrial Revolution - its use in cosmetics goes back almost as far.

It has only recently been widely adopted as a food constituent, mainly because manufacturers have gone off using animal fats. This is the problem, and this is what has led to widespread destruction of rainforest especially in SE Asia...

Question - should we go back to using animal fats in foods? Poses a problem for vegetarians (and me)....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Wetherspoons
Alternative facts welcome :wink:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Sorry, repeating so this pops up

I do not drink, so I cannae boycott witherspoons, but should one boycott organisations whose owners have certain political views?

I would like to boycott a certain food store but I am too lazy to walk further to another store, I do pay attention to prices and I walk further to save money, mind
pwa

Post by pwa »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Sorry, repeating so this pops up

I do not drink, so I cannae boycott witherspoons, but should one boycott organisations whose owners have certain political views?

I would like to boycott a certain food store but I am too lazy to walk further to another store, I do pay attention to prices and I walk further to save money, mind

I suppose you should ask yourself whether you would be okay with people, with political views contrary to your own, boycotting companies run by individuals who share your own views. I'd prefer that people who run businesses just kept quiet about their political views as much as possible. The same with celebs. When I use services with the Virgin branding (not often) I try to put to the back of my mind the shrivelled Bee Gee.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Dyson.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Tangled Metal wrote:Dyson.

Bought a cleaner 20 yrs ago Lasted a few years, brittle plastic syndrome, we’ve boycotted them ever since.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

pwa wrote:

I suppose you should ask yourself whether you would be okay with people, with political views contrary to your own, boycotting companies run by individuals who share your own views. I'd prefer that people who run businesses just kept quiet about their political views as much as possible. The same with celebs. When I use services with the Virgin branding (not often) I try to put to the back of my mind the shrivelled Bee Gee.

Not sure I understand?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Merino companies who don't certify that their production is free from mulesing.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Bonefishblues wrote:
pwa wrote:

Not sure I understand?

Shrivelled Bee Gee = Branson. I try not to think about him.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

pwa wrote:

I figured it was he, but I didn't get the BG connection.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Bonefishblues wrote:
pwa wrote:

You don't think he looks like an elderly Bee Gee?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

pwa wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
pwa wrote:

You don't think he looks like an elderly Bee Gee?

I absolutely see the 60s throwback, but sadly elderly Bee Gee is a little oxymoronic!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Tangled Metal wrote:Dyson.

well a recent BBC report on those who paid the most tax put him in the list.So maybe atleast he isnt tax avoider like some of the rich? maybe need to boycott those celebs in the BBC with their private company finace deals who pay very little?