Who should we be boycotting?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
bovlomov

Re: Who should we be boycotting?

Post by bovlomov »

firedfromthecircus wrote:It seems that every time someone mentions that they are boycotting (or trying to avoid) something, someone else will come along and attempt to belittle or negate that effort. :roll:

That's one of the reasons I don't call myself a vegetarian, even though I don't eat meat. It's not so bad these days, but in the past there was always someone trying to expose the hypocrisy in the food choices of others. "You call yourself a vegetarian but you have leather shoes"; "What about the suffering of people who pick vegetables?"

By the way - another common response is to ask "Are you allowed to eat that?", as if there's an international vegetarian authority that is telling me what I am permitted to eat. I'm allowed to eat anything, apart from the flesh of humans and that of protected species.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'll see your M People song and raise you something I remember from my early Sunday school days.

Dare to be a Daniel,
Dare to stand alone.
Dare to have a cause that's true,
And dare to make it known.

(The words published online are slightly different, but my version is definitely what we sang.)
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

thirdcrank wrote:I'll see your M People song and raise you something I remember from my early Sunday school days.

Dare to be a Daniel,
Dare to stand alone.
Dare to have a cause that's true,
And dare to make it known.

(The words published online are slightly different, but my version is definitely what we sang.)

I didn't know this one. Instead of searching in vain for the hero inside myself, I might dare to be a bit more like Daniel.
wrangler_rover

Post by wrangler_rover »

As somebody who voted for Brexit, anything from mainland Europe, especially German.
Despite working for a German company for 10 years with a company car, my choice of company cars was 2 x Japanese built in the UK and 1 x built in Japan. Made redundant 6 months ago, I got another job with a company car, this time I chose one built in Korea. I would rather buy wine, cars etc. shipped half way around the world than buy goods made in the EU.
As has been said previously, it is a matter of personal choice in a free market economy what people buy.
I personally believe that Japanese and Korean cars are better engineered, have a higher specification, represent better value for money and are more reliable than their European counterparts, they must believe in them to offer warranties of 5 and 7 years respectively on their new cars. I also consider these far eastern manufacturers to be more ethical, remember the recent emissions scandle.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

This is a bit like the Wetherspoons discussion about the owner's politics when the sale of demon drink was once the main concern.
pwa

Post by pwa »

wrangler_rover wrote:As somebody who voted for Brexit, anything from mainland Europe, especially German.
Despite working for a German company for 10 years with a company car, my choice of company cars was 2 x Japanese built in the UK and 1 x built in Japan. Made redundant 6 months ago, I got another job with a company car, this time I chose one built in Korea. I would rather buy wine, cars etc. shipped half way around the world than buy goods made in the EU.
As has been said previously, it is a matter of personal choice in a free market economy what people buy.
I personally believe that Japanese and Korean cars are better engineered, have a higher specification, represent better value for money and are more reliable than their European counterparts, they must believe in them to offer warranties of 5 and 7 years respectively on their new cars. I also consider these far eastern manufacturers to be more ethical, remember the recent emissions scandle.

I am currently resisting the temptation to boycott EU produce. I'll save that for when or if the EU takes an unfriendly stance towards the UK in trading matters.

I've already given up on VW group cars due to the way my current 1.6L diesel powered Golf is so crap compared to the 1.9L Skoda diesel (VW Golf engine) it replaced. Poorer fuel efficiency, poorer torque and, I'm sure, dirtier emissions in spite of what the figures state.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

thirdcrank wrote:This is a bit like the Wetherspoons discussion about the owner's politics when the sale of demon drink was once the main concern.

If the product is good enough or cheaper or better or has a monopoly people do not (can not?) boycott it

But remember Ratner who crashed his jewellery stores by saying the products were crap? :wink:

I try to avoid buying food that has been transported a long way. But sometimes it is cheaper than local stuff
Some stores order too little of the local/cheap products so one has to buy others. Or do without :? I try to keep a supply at home, I am willing to do without
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pete75

Post by pete75 »

wrangler_rover wrote:As somebody who voted for Brexit, anything from mainland Europe, especially German.
Despite working for a German company for 10 years

Won't buy German products but willing to take a wage from Germans. The money to pay your wages came from selling the products and/or services produced by that German company. About 11 out of 10 on the hypocrisy scale.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pwa

Post by pwa »

pete75 wrote:

Won't buy German products but willing to take a wage from Germans. The money to pay your wages came from selling the products and/or services produced by that German company. About 11 out of 10 on the hypocrisy scale.

Firstly, I'm not sure that Wrangler is still working for a German company, it could be in the past. And secondly, we don't all enjoy the luxury of only working for employers we approve of. Think of the poor so-and-sos working for Sports Direct, Amazon, etc.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

pwa wrote:
pete75 wrote:

Firstly, I'm not sure that Wrangler is still working for a German company, it could be in the past. And secondly, we don't all enjoy the luxury of only working for employers we approve of. Think of the poor so-and-sos working for Sports Direct, Amazon, etc.

Who knows, maybe w was/is milking people s/he dislikes :wink:
pwa

Post by pwa »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
pwa wrote:
pete75 wrote:

Do you milk your employer? More often the other way round, surely. I'm not sure I like my employer, though I like some of the other people who work there.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

pwa wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:
pwa wrote:

Do you milk your employer? More often the other way round, surely. I'm not sure I like my employer, though I like some of the other people who work there.

My employer milks me
I did milk an employer once a bit maybe, lots of pay, not much work, boring. Left to learn and grow more, earnt less
Could have been a mistake, probably was
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Boycott Garmin as most of their Bluetooth enabled products are rubbish. Cadbury chocolate as the new owners would have George Cadbury turning in his grave and also charities who's ceo's are paid too much.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I'm boycotting anyone that boycotts anything.
Ill informed oiks !!
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Shops where the staff lick their fingers

Organisations whose drivers disobey traffic law

Goods transported from afar. Buy local stuff, products that are in season. After b****t there will be more porridge and fewer bananas. One hopes