65 arghh!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
fausto copy

Re: 65 arghh!

Post by fausto copy »

Yes, bus passes issued at 60 here, though you are correct about usage.
What's weird id that if you can get a return ticket to England from Wales, it's free.
But if single tickets are only provided, you have to pay to come home again. :roll:
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

That's interesting.
When I used to give blood (still do) one of the technicians used to ask my date of birth.
When I told him, he always used to ask me if I knew there was a 17th June strasse (or very similar) in Berlin.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

fausto copy wrote:That's interesting.
When I used to give blood (still do) one of the technicians used to ask my date of birth.
When I told him, he always used to ask me if I knew there was a 17th June strasse (or very similar) in Berlin.

Very briefly: there was a revolt against tighter work conditions in the East, tanks were sent in
It was instrumentalised in the BRD, it was one of the turning points in relations between the two Germanies, has been forgotten a bit now
Lucky you do not remember it, the cold war
Could have gone either way

You can read all about it on the www, doubtless there are dozens of books about it, even in English

Prompted me to revise too, diolch
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
hondated

Post by hondated »

fausto copy wrote:Hi folks, reached my 65th birthday today and woke up with splitting migraine (no alcohol or drugs involved) and turned to look at the clock and tweaked my back :shock:
We'd planned a short walk this afternoon followed by an afternoon tea.
It's pi**ing down and have checked with the tearoom to find it's fully booked (who put Father's Day down on my birthday :? ).

Oh well, I've always felt it's been downhill all the way since my 60th.

fausto.

Happy Birthday FC Guess your asking where all that time went !
hondated

Post by hondated »

fausto copy wrote:Yes, bus passes issued at 60 here, though you are correct about usage.
What's weird id that if you can get a return ticket to England from Wales, it's free.
But if single tickets are only provided, you have to pay to come home again. :roll:

Only used my bus pass once on our local Loop Bus during the day and when I looked around it was full of old people so haven't used it since :D
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

fausto copy wrote:Thank you folks for all your good wishes.

I've still got the pounding headache, but we visited friends and managed a short (and damp) walk.
On returning to their house, Megan brought out a lovely apple cake that she had made as she knew we wouldn't be getting to the tearoom,
although she had no idea it was my birthday.
We spent the next two hours taxing the old grey cells with a game of Rummikub; most entertaining.

On leaving I was gifted a jar of their new-season honey, which, having tasted it, is divine and for some strange reason has stimulated some memory from childhood. I can't work out what exactly it reminds me of....some type of sweet, or even medicine of some sort. :?

And here's a somewhat bizarre question for you:

Now that most (if not all) pensions are paid electronically, what would you say is the modern equivalent of that old favourite birthday present for senior citizens, the inscribed leather pension book holder. :lol:

Cheers, fausto.

P.S. Not sure about toner Colin, but I could definitely do with some sort of tonic. :roll:
And thanks for that cheerful thought Mercalia :shock:

A good whisky with a little warm honey is a good preventative medicine if taken on a regular basis as a nightcap

No evidence whatsoever, but it works for me
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

reohn2 wrote:I can't be mythered with the Maths as I'd just forget anyway :?

While I do remember,HAPPY BIRTHDAY Fausto! :)

My birthday is a week tomorrow when I get my OAP :) or should that be :? Or even :( .

As for booking ahead,last week we booked a week on a favourite caravan site in North Wales from tomorrow,only to find it's forecast to be blowing a hoolie and piddling down with rain :?

Happy 65th birthday John and welcome to the club. :D

I trust the weather has improved somewhat from a possible damp trip to North Wales.

We're off to the IOW tomorrow and can't believe the forecast of at least 10 hot dry days, though the last time we were there (37 years ago) Mrs.C got heatstroke, so hope it doesn't happen again.
I've promised her plenty of ice creams to keep her cool, from my pension pot, which those nice people kindly told me I qualified for one day's payment the day after my birthday. Don't think there'll be enough for 99's though. :wink:

Have a great day,
fausto.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I missed this thread last week. I was busy celebrating the 80th birthdays of my father- and mother-in-law and the 50th of my brother-in-law,a nd the 12th of Mini V!

So happy belated, fausto, and happy birthday, John. :)

On Father's Day, we went to Sutton Hoo, which was very nice & the tea rooms weren't exceptionally busy. I suspect that it was a normal Sunday sort of busyness. It was better than many National Trust tearooms I have been in, so outside of the fact that it was typical NT prices, it was a good choice for Father's Day Sunday.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom