How to be a fast cyclist, like really fast cyclist.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Username

How to be a fast cyclist, like really fast cyclist.

Post by Username »

I think you need to think less about your bikes weight. Actually your bikes weight IS important, but not for long. In fact, before you even buy a bike, you need to go to college or university for ages. Dont know what courses you need to take but ultimately you need to become an astronaut. Once you've become an astronaut you hop on board a Russian soyuz on an ISS bound trajectory. Now this is where your bike weight comes in, but not for the reason your thinking. For every extra kilo of mass sent up into space, this costs a whole load of money, probably about a billion USD per kilo, or something else. Either way its a lot. BUY A REALLY REALLY LIGHT BIKE!!! Even a fragile one will do (all expensive bikes a fragile, so no issue here). This is the only time where spending more money on your bike than your car will actually save your money. Anyway.......

Your now on the International Space Station. Forget about both weight and aerodynamics. None of them matter now. The weight was only important during lift off, but thats gone. Now you need to connect to strava. The ISS does have internet, look!. Astronauts need to thoroughly work out everyday so as to minimise the awful effects weightlessness has on the human body. While doing this on your exercise bike, connect it to strava. I dont know how you will plan the route (thats down to NASA), but you will be much faster than your buddies. Your average speed should be about 17500mph (yes, semteen thousan five tonne miles per hour) for each workout.

Well I just thought its an easy way to cycle over 10,000mph and very quickly become the fastest cyclist on Ear.....ever!
mercalia

Re: How to be a fast cyclist, like really fast cyclist.

Post by mercalia »

get an e-bike
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

I'm sure one of those base jumper types on a BMX could be pretty quick still, at a fraction of the cost. Or ride your Brompton up and down the isle of the Eurostar.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

It's all down to Special Relativity, really. Anyone can be a Really Fast Cyclist, relative to some place or other...

The only thing you can't be is a faster-than-light cyclist, not relative to anything. Not even with Mr Sulu at the helm....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
RickH

Post by RickH »

iandriver wrote:I'm sure one of those base jumper types on a BMX could be pretty quick still, at a fraction of the cost. Or ride your Brompton up and down the isle of the Eurostar.

Mountainbiking UK had a parachute jump out of an aeroplane on an MTB in August 1990 (link). The guy even managed to land on the the bike.

I think they did a basejump too but haven't found it yet. There are a few basejump on a bike youtube videos but they seem to jettison the bike soon after getting airborn rather than trying to land on it.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.