Passing on old knowledge

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Re: Passing on old knowledge

Postby mercalia » 22 Jun 2018, 11:35pm

JohnW wrote:
mercalia wrote:The trouble with letting a LBS do the work is you have to get the bike there ( not too hard if the bike is rideable, but what if it isnt? ) and then you have to get home. Nice if you drive a car that it also large enough to transport the bike but what if you don't have a car? ( like me )

All the more reason for bikes being simple and easy to repair/service/maintain, and for the 'older guys' to share their knowledge. In your position, if the bike was disabled, I'd buy the part that was kaput and fit it myself.

However, you make the point well - the current sophisticated/complicated/sooper-dooper-modern bikes are no help to the rider in your position. Just out of interest - what DO you actually do?

It's a strange situation wherein the only way a cyclist can deal with his bike is to drive it around in a car.

i do all my own work. The only thing I would have to get done would be changing the head bearings I think. Also my m/c has only seen inside a garage twice in 20 years ( when I bought it wanted a checkup & when I had the forks serviced, will do that again soon) - well except for new tyres and mots. (I once even did the valves) In my case living in London atleast I can get a bus/train home

atoz

Postby atoz » 26 Jun 2018, 11:49pm

JohnW wrote:It's a strange situation wherein the only way a cyclist can deal with his bike is to drive it around in a car.

Given that racing types have been doing this for years to get to races/time trials, and more recently sportives, I think that ship may have sailed- sadly.

JohnW

Postby JohnW » 27 Jun 2018, 12:03am

atoz wrote:
JohnW wrote:It's a strange situation wherein the only way a cyclist can deal with his bike is to drive it around in a car.

Given that racing types have been doing this for years to get to races/time trials, and more recently sportives, I think that ship may have sailed- sadly.

...............dunno about that - I had my racing wheels on sprint carriers on my front wheel - I rode to time trials up to 48 miles away!

The guys who used to win (me being well beaten!) often had their wives/brothers/fathers/mates bring them in the car - they didn't even have to drive themselves. Serious racing is different though.