Should items be offered in the For Sale section which are only available for purchase elsewhere ?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Should items be offered in the For Sale section which are only available for purchase elsewhere ?

Poll ended at 4 Jul 2018, 3:33pm

I OBJECT to items displayed here which are ONLY available via another website e.g. Ebay ( & not this FORUM ).
68%
I do not mind if items displayed here are ONLY available via another website.
18%
I don't care.
14%

Total votes: 28

Graham

Post by Graham »

A recent small ad, in the For Sale section, contained a list of links to items on Ebay.

i.e. the items themselves were not available directly via the FORUM ( thus avoiding Ebay )

Objections were made on the topic itself and the post itself reported to Mods.
Last edited by Graham on 20 Jun 2018, 3:49pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: thus
horizon

Re: Should items be offered in the For Sale section which are only available for purchase elsewhere ?

Post by horizon »

I'm OK - better to be notified than not. And buyers sometimes want the protection of ebay (FWIW). They may also want the higher price. Having said that, this is a forum not a marketing medium for a seller. So maybe a few more views before I vote.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Tangled Metal

Re: Should items be offered in the For Sale section which are only available for purchase elsewhere ?

Post by Tangled Metal »

Depends on whether forum members can make a direct offer through this website. If you're selling through several websites that's OK but each website classified ad should be capable of leading directly to a sale without recourse to another site. If you add that it is on xyz sites fair enough, a buyer could then go to those sites if they offered a benefit the buyer wanted.

Basically it can be marketing but it really should be about selling imo.
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

I see no reason why not. If it's an item I am interested in then I'll have a look, if not then I won't bother. Perhaps that's a little simplistic but for perspective it's only bikes and stuff for sale.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

what about heads-up to things you come across on Ebay that might interest others here? where does that fit in the poll?
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Any link to a bargain would be appreciated.

Here's one: https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TOTERBSR/ ... fixed-hook)

Simi!ar item in Halfords currently at £11. Sorry a bit off topic but very handy if you're a bit stuck for bike space in your shed!
Bez

Post by Bez »

Personally I'd suggest that there isn't anywhere near a high enough volume of posts in the classified forums for this to be an issue.

Were that to change, such that the few classified ads were being overwhelmed by eBay links, I'd suggest it would become one.

Some forums have compromise solutions; eg eBay links only permitted within 24 hours of the auction end.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

I'd be ok with eBay "buy it now" items - the convenience of uploading item photos, paying via PayPal, and all that. But auctions seem a bit contrary to the more relaxed tone of this forum. (Though that might just be because I'm rubbish at eBaying.)
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
horizon

Post by horizon »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:I'd be ok with eBay "buy it now" items paying via PayPal,

Paying by PayPal is the norm on here (IIUYC).
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
drossall

Post by drossall »

I think the requirement (enforced rigorously) to put eBay in the title is a reasonable compromise.
gaz

Post by gaz »

mercalia wrote:what about heads-up to things you come across on Ebay that might interest others here? where does that fit in the poll?

If I want something on ebay, I've already got a search set up to give me a heads up by email notification. I can't see the point in guessing at what anybody else is looking for.
PH

Post by PH »

drossall wrote:I think the requirement (enforced rigorously) to put eBay in the title is a reasonable compromise.

I agree entirely with that. Don't tolerate those that don't comply, just delete them.
I've voted for the neutral "Don't mind" option but thought it was a pity there wasn't anything more positive. For me, an advert for something I'm looking for is a good thing regardless of where it's being sold. For those who only want to purchase via the forum, a clear thread name will save them a wasted click.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Bez wrote:Personally I'd suggest that there isn't anywhere near a high enough volume of posts in the classified forums for this to be an issue.

Were that to change, such that the few classified ads were being overwhelmed by eBay links, I'd suggest it would become one.

Some forums have compromise solutions; eg eBay links only permitted within 24 hours of the auction end.

I agree that there isn't such a plethora of them that it's not really an issue at the moment.

Limiting such threads to within 24h of the auction ending is a bit random and counter productive. I'd say that such threads should contain an end date as well as the EBAY flag in the header. And potentially not have them bumped.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

While I understand what's being discussed, I'm not at all clear about the underlying factors. Were the complaints based on a feeling that the forum was being exploited or something to do with ebay? Or something else? So far, I've not voted because I'm a "don't know" rather than a "don't care."

:?
gaz

Post by gaz »

Having seen the For Sale thread in question pre-moderator intervention, I would infer that the complainant felt the forum was being exploited.