Pendleton Again

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Re: Pendleton Again and yet again

Post by mercalia »

thirdcrank wrote:VP is all over the media this morning with a report that she considered suicide after the Everest attempt. Persist to the end and she's in a new telly programme to be screened in the spring.

why would any one admit to that?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mercalia wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:VP is all over the media this morning with a report that she considered suicide after the Everest attempt. Persist to the end and she's in a new telly programme to be screened in the spring.

why would any one admit to that?

Because individual who has historically bared her soul to an unusual degree? Because all different? Because discussion of mental illness is no longer taboo? Because any one of a thousand things?
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Bonefishblues wrote:
mercalia wrote:why would any one admit to that?

Because individual who has historically bared her soul to an unusual degree? Because all different? Because discussion of mental illness is no longer taboo? Because any one of a thousand things?

Frankly because it'll mean better ratings figures for the programme. Celebs do this because by staying in the public eye they earn money.

Everytime you hear a celeb presenting a programme starting 'I've always been fascinated by Egypt/big cats/ elephants/ Everest....' you know they've been fascinated by it since their agent pitched it to them.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Ben@Forest wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
mercalia wrote:why would any one admit to that?

Frankly because it'll mean better ratings figures for the programme. Celebs do this because by staying in the public eye they earn money.

Everytime you hear a celeb presenting a programme starting 'I've always been fascinated by Egypt/big cats/ elephants/ Everest....' you know they've been fascinated by it since their agent pitched it to them.

Ah yes, because that, too. I knew there would be a Forum Member along to conflate the two. Yes, that'll sell things, you're right.

And so it continues.
merseymouth

Re: Pendleton Again

Post by merseymouth »

Hello all, What is very sad is the fact that VP hasn't acclimatized to normal life after her high adrenalin addicted past?
She has failed to come aware that she was as it's called in rockclimbing terms "Feeding the rat"!
That adrenalin rush is hard to disconnect from, so life must feel flat and non challenging. Very sad.
I have a different slant on life, on awakening in the morning I merely smile to myself and think "Well, I've still got a pulse".
We must all learn to live as mere survivors! IGICB MM
Tangled Metal

Re: Pendleton Again

Post by Tangled Metal »

Adrenaline is addictive. Used to climb with a complete fear of heights. Used to whitewater kayak at grade 5 for fun. Also used to get withdrawal through the week that left me needing a fix. Rallying my car round the industrial estate after a late night finish at work. Plus other things like trying to get above 58mph on my road bike. That was on a downhill with a sharp left turn at the end and you needed the full length of the hill too so it was about scaring yourself at the end (plus anything above 45mph on a road bike with 23mm tyres on or rough country roads is scary).

My solution was to calm down and grow old. I'm mid forties and the adrenaline days were early 20s for me. Having said that skiing fast 4 days after first putting skis on felt good so it's still there in me.

I think this issue with seeking adrenaline is either in you or not. If it becomes too controlling then without it you have problems. Just my take on it.

I think the other thing is VP is making her living on the back of a now finished competitive cycling career. She might not have a career to fall back on so presenting things on TV or doing these high risk things for TV is her source of income now. Promotion is part of that. Right now mental health is starting to become more of a mainstream and public problem so tapping into her own issues there will tap into that movement. I'm not saying it's untrue or a cynical action. I think it's someone in the public eye joining the movement. A kind of mental health #metoo movement. Self promotion I think isn't the main reason for it. Could be wrong though.