Pendleton Again

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
NATURAL ANKLING

Pendleton Again

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
With all that success I would sit down and decide on a career which won't damage my health, modelling might be better in the long run or even commentary, her profile still says Jockey?
On Foggle......I like the guy, is that a career path you do or do you just wake up one day, private schools and connected.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/0 ... triggered/
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mercalia

Re: Pendleton Again

Post by mercalia »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
With all that success I would sit down and decide on a career which won't damage my health, modelling might be better in the long run or even commentary, her profile still says Jockey?
On Foggle......I like the guy, is that a career path you do or do you just wake up one day, private schools and connected.

I thought everest climbers used oxygen aids? silly woman
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Not read all about the subject, I know some still do it without?
Many have left themselves on the mountain, it an incredible toxic environment, where people pass you by while you are still conscious, frozen into the ice.........................

Falling off a horse in front of a jumping galloping horse behind you maybe more toxic.
broadway

Post by broadway »

mercalia wrote:

Maybe you should ask yourself why "silly woman" is the right thing to say.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I watched a talk by a guy I used to know. He'd had two attempts at everest. The first he got taken out in the death zone by an idiot minor celebrity who read sponsored by some company to climb it. Very lucky to survive. Very epic story of his rescue / self help (nobody can carry you in the death zone, you have to do the work yourself no matter how broken you are).

Part of the issue is the holiday makers buying their spot on top. It's beyond a lot who buy the trip. They're selfish in that they're risking the lives of others just being somewhere they really haven't got the experience to be. The guy I knew was a highly experienced climber and mountaineer with a lot of alpine experience (plus other parts of the world). I'm just glad he was able to make the second trip and succeed. He's now got a lifetime of free meals at a well known (to everest summiteers) restaurant in Kathmandu. Can't remember the details but your name goes on a board (photo or something) and you get a card for the club. Something like that. Good food and local beer.

So IMHO Pendleton was a tourist and I don't think she should have been there.

Looking back at things, I've actually known some very experienced and talented climbers and mountaineers in the past. People with hard earned experience. Even one old guy who was a pioneer you probably would never hear about (but the big names you do know about seemed to know him by all accounts). I do have a lot of respect for outdoor people who won their experience the right way through time served.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
if you remember the footage of the horse fall, now the Everest thing, then she is sure trying the hard way to die young.
Its not brave just stupid, we all know the phrase "Better to live one day as a tiger than a thousand years a sheep", Tigers are becoming extinct fast.
Animals are born to survive, we just learn from experience.

No doubt if the worst happens many will lump praise on a tragedy, like some other medallist she just seems lost to me, needs some good guidance I.M.O.
Good luck and stay safe!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Tangled Metal wrote:I watched a talk by a guy I used to know. He'd had two attempts at everest. The first he got taken out in the death zone by an idiot minor celebrity who read sponsored by some company to climb it. Very lucky to survive. Very epic story of his rescue / self help (nobody can carry you in the death zone, you have to do the work yourself no matter how broken you are).

Part of the issue is the holiday makers buying their spot on top. It's beyond a lot who buy the trip. They're selfish in that they're risking the lives of others just being somewhere they really haven't got the experience to be. The guy I knew was a highly experienced climber and mountaineer with a lot of alpine experience (plus other parts of the world). I'm just glad he was able to make the second trip and succeed. He's now got a lifetime of free meals at a well known (to everest summiteers) restaurant in Kathmandu. Can't remember the details but your name goes on a board (photo or something) and you get a card for the club. Something like that. Good food and local beer.

Looking back at things, I've actually known some very experienced and talented climbers and mountaineers in the past. People with hard earned experience. Even one old guy who was a pioneer you probably would never hear about (but the big names you do know about seemed to know him by all accounts). I do have a lot of respect for outdoor people who won their experience the right way through time served.

death zone
? expand that sounds chilling
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

broadway wrote:
mercalia wrote:

Maybe you should ask yourself why "silly woman" is the right thing to say.

silly girl then?
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

As I understand it the death zone is the altitude on a mountain where the oxygen concentration is technically too low to survive (for long). It's often described as the altitude where your body is actually dying. It doesn't heal itself if you get cuts or beginnings if frost nip or bite.

It's also the altitude range that just walking on the flat is incredibly difficult. Whilst at sea level say a broken leg or serious sprain would not cause too much difficulty. You can hobble to safety with the help of another person. In the death zone other people are too busy surviving and moving themselves. Imagine two big and burly soldiers only able to take a couple of steps helping an injured colleague before collapsing completely knackered. That's the issue you have if you get injured in the death zone. If you can't get yourself down it's actually likely to kill you and if anyone tries to help them too.

That's something I got from the guy who had been in that situation but got himself down to the point people could help him the rest of the way. That's why I strongly believe those high altitude mountains should be the reserve of those mountaineers who have the experience and track record building up to it. I do not believe you should be able to buy your place onto the mountain. Invite only perhaps. Certainly not a celebrity deciding to do it then a year or two later getting helped down having realised it's too much for them.

She's a gutsy lady but let's make this clear, she's got issues. It's the only way I can understand the need for seriously risky activities. I think she's possibly missing competition. She is probably looking for some challenging activity to replace the complete obsession that was competitive cycling. I wish her well but hope she retires gracefully soon before she gets seriously injured or worse.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
We all like and luv her, but...............horses............motorcycles.............mountains, they are all bloody dangerous, talking from experience.
I always think of this when mountains are involved- K2 (the savage mountain) you want a real challenge go there..............
https://www.dawn.com/news/365813

"The five women who have stood on its 8,611-metre (28,251 feet) peak before Pasaburn have all met their deaths at high altitude - three of them while descending K2 and two of them on mountains in Nepal six years after their K2 feats."

"Until this week 198 people had scaled K2 since its conquest by Italian pair Achille Compagnoni and Lino Lacedelli. Fifty-three people died on its slopes. Everest has claimed 179 lives against 2,000 summiteers, giving it a fatality rate of nine per cent."

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/real ... te-1077078
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

mercalia wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:I watched a talk by a guy I used to know. He'd had two attempts at everest. The first he got taken out in the death zone by an idiot minor celebrity who read sponsored by some company to climb it. Very lucky to survive. Very epic story of his rescue / self help (nobody can carry you in the death zone, you have to do the work yourself no matter how broken you are).

death zone

It is...

An explanation here
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I much prefer sheep to tigers
Apparently Chomolungma has been tidied up a lot, people are made to take their rubbish out
Locals collect oxygen bottles cos they are worth a lot

Paying lots of money to go up there and risk ones health is crazy IMHO

Foel Fras 3092' is enough for me
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

It's a challenge but if you have family or dependents then it's a very selfish activity to do due to the very real risks. The only guy I met who I knew had summitted gave an air of self obsession I think. It was a feeling he only cared about what he wanted to do. He was a sociable guy and fitted in with people but I pity his family. Best off being single if you want that life IMHO.

Pendleton strikes me as lost. Competitive cycling was a life for so long. Now she's out of that life she's got a big hole to fill. I believe that's why she's looking around for a new direction.

I think the long jumper Rutherford is doing the same. He's had a very good long jump career but he's not getting the performance so he's retired. However he's getting good power output in testing for track cycling. So he's trying for that as a second sporting career. If he doesn't make it I wonder if he'll become lost?

I don't know because he has a strong family support network. IIRC his dad built a long jump pit and run up for him in his garden. That's his level of obsession but the fact his dad was involved with him and his family makes me suspect a failed cycling career (and I hope that doesn't happen but he goes onto his success in the track) won't be as big a deal as Pendleton's failed adventures.

Who would want to be a retiring sportsman or woman? A life if obsessive pursuit of your goals only to reach your peak then drop off the other side to retire when very young. Money might not be an issue but enforced retirement when young can't be fun for an obsessive.
Neilo

Post by Neilo »

Tangled Metal wrote: I'm just glad he was able to make the second trip and succeed. He's now got a lifetime of free meals at a well known (to everest summiteers) restaurant in Kathmandu. Can't remember the details but your name goes on a board (photo or something) and you get a card for the club. Something like that. Good food and local beer.

Rum Doodle, been there, nice food in 2009
If it aint broke, fix it til it is.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Cunobelin wrote:
mercalia wrote:

death zone

It is...

An explanation here

I only read a bit of it enough to think people must be mad to go there.

"Upon reaching the death zone the climber will notice his or her increased breathing rate and heart beat. The ability to do any basic tasks like making a meal, putting on climbing boots etc will leave the climber very short of breath. Inside the body the blood will start to thicken which could lead to clotting or strokes. These physical reactions are the body’s way of combating oxygen deprivation, also known as hypoxia.

Altitude also affects the climbers loss of appetite which can be potentially dangerous as it is vital to remain well hydrated and nourished for the climb a head. Sleeping can also be a problem in the death zone, many climbers can not sleep at all while others sleep but wake frequently during the night gasping for air.

As the climber goes higher, the air quickly gets thinner and this can lead to far more dangerous medical conditions such as High-Altitude Pulmonary Edema (HAPE) and High-Altitude Cerebral Edema (HACE) which is known as acute mountain sickness.

As the climber goes higher, the air quickly gets thinner and this can lead to far more dangerous medical conditions such as High-Altitude Pulmonary Edema (HAPE) and High-Altitude Cerebral Edema (HACE) which is known as acute mountain sickness.

HAPE is when the lungs fill up with fluids. If the climber does not descend to a lower altitude as soon as possible he or she will eventually drown by there own internal fluids.

HACE is where your brain swells due to increased blood circulation from not getting enough oxygen. This can also cause loss of coordination, hallucinations and mental deterioration."

:? :shock: :? :shock: :? :shock: :? :oops:
Last edited by mercalia on 27 Jun 2018, 9:23am, edited 3 times in total.