Cafe Ventoux, Leicestershire

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Thornyone

Cafe Ventoux, Leicestershire

Post by Thornyone »

This place is close to numerous routes that I ride regularly, and on both NCN 63 and the National Byway, but I visited it for the first time yesterday. There are some fairly unfavourable recent reviews on the web, but I thought I’d give it a try. I was not impressed, I’m sorry to say. I had a tuna and something-or-another panini. I couldn’t work out whether it contained possibly a teaspoon of the fish or whether a knife which had experienced exposure to tuna at some time during the previous 3 weeks, had been wiped over the bread.
Cycle parking is odd, with bikes hung up by the saddle from a wooden beam. OK if you want to watch your 3lb steed gyrate in the breeze, not so good for my hefty contraption.
On the plus side, the staff were pleasant enough, and drinking water is on tap outside.
I was going to pass the time of day with a roadie with what looked like high-end carbon fibre, and ask him about his mount, but his unsmiling look did not encourage it.
There is some marvellous cycling round here. En route I took the deserted field road from the beautiful stone village of Hallaton, past the motte-and-bailey castle and on towards Goadby. There is very little traffic even on the country lanes. Next time I’ll maybe check out the pub in Glooston instead.
Cafe Ventoux could be brilliant, but sadly it isn’t.
PH

Re: Cafe Ventoux, Leicestershire

Post by PH »

That pretty much reflects my own experience from a visit last year. The coffee was average and the sandwich didn't reach that standard.
There's a fair bit of choice in the area, Leic CTC seem to have them all covered
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?hl ... 0000000327
Thornyone

Re: Cafe Ventoux, Leicestershire

Post by Thornyone »

PH wrote:That pretty much reflects my own experience from a visit last year. The coffee was average and the sandwich didn't reach that standard.
There's a fair bit of choice in the area, Leic CTC seem to have them all covered
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?hl ... 0000000327

CV seems to have gone downhill from reviews I’ve read. Thanks for the link. I am trying to train myself to take a proper lunch stop because normally I just bolt down a couple of bars on my rides, stop for about 5 minutes max and end up knackered :lol: