The heat

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: The heat

Post by reohn2 »

As this thread seems to be concerned with energy use,something that concerns me,not only in extreme weather but all the time is water usage.When I first visited Italy and some parts of France it impressed me on the use of foot operated taps in public washrooms and toilets,press your foot and you got water,take it off and it stopped,resulting in only using the water you needed,similarly so toilet cysterns

Contrast that to the UK which have unhygienic press top taps that almost always over run the amount of water needed or conventional taps that people sometimes leave on.
A lot of water is wasted which needs energy to purify and means more going down the drain to the local sewage works being unnecessarily purified.
That's before we get on about baths v showers.......
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:The Grauniad has an article about trees today, the Newtown bypass (Powys) was rerouted to avoid destroying a 600 year-old oak, Plus One!

And will probably fell a thousand trees and bushes as a result........
W H Auden
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Four days ahead of schedule it's raining in South Wales :?
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
pwa

Post by pwa »

reohn2 wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:The Grauniad has an article about trees today, the Newtown bypass (Powys) was rerouted to avoid destroying a 600 year-old oak, Plus One!

No it is just a minor re-alignment. The mystery is why some numpty didn't swerve the route to one side of the great tree in the first place.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Freddie wrote:
horizon wrote:If you cannot cope with the current heat wave, then you are ill.
Hmm, I was speaking generally, rather than just about myself.

Sorry Freddie, I meant "one" not you personally. :) In fact, I doubt I was referring to anyone on this forum.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

BBC reports history being made.

The Met Office has issued its first weather warning for a thunderstorm in its 164-year history, after days of sweltering temperatures

Is there time to install a lightning conductor? Run around in a blind panic?
The weather service introduced the new advisory for thunderstorms last month.

Somebody in the BBC Newsroom affected by the heat.
rjb

Post by rjb »

It's getting very dark here and we can hear the thunder. It's on its way towards us here in Somerset.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
horizon

Post by horizon »

I've often wondered what it must be like to be on a cycling forum for expats in Malayasia (or somewhere like that). Now I know. :D :wink:
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pwa wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

No it is just a minor re-alignment. The mystery is why some numpty didn't swerve the route to one side of the great tree in the first place.

I'm unaware of the intricacies of that particular case but but you're right of course
W H Auden
rjb

Post by rjb »

rjb wrote:It's getting very dark here and we can hear the thunder. It's on its way towards us here in Somerset.

Heavy rain now and is it my imagination but is the lawn colour changing from yellow to green, and is that a weed sprouting? :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The torrential rains cleared by early afternoon here, and we had glorious hot sunshine again this afternoon.
Mrs Mick F and me sat outside with a few glasses of beer sunning ourselves.

Earlier on today, the temp had dropped to 16degC in the rain and heavy clouds and I very nearly considered that we may have to light the fire to keep the house warm later on.

It cheered up, and we're nice and warm in the late afternoon Cornish Climate again with 28degC at 5pm.
Back to normal. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:oops:
27degC now.
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

More beer Mick F? :lol:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

reohn2 wrote:
pwa wrote:
reohn2 wrote:And will probably fell a thousand trees and bushes as a result........

I'm unaware of the intricacies of that particular case but but you're right of course

PlusMinus
Driving from the top to the bottom of Wales without going through England will be easier = more traffic!
Newtown is old, but it is a New Town too :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

philvantwo wrote:More beer Mick F? :lol:
Yes, we did!

Talking of beer, Morrisons are doing bottles of Old Speckled Hen for a quid a bottle.
Lidl's were doing it at £1.25 a bottle, but it's now £1.49 and Hobgoblin is still at £1.25.
I think I saw Hobgoblin in Morrisons today at a quid a bottle, but I prefer the Old Speckled Hen.

How these shops can sell beer so cheaply, I don't know. Maybe loss-leaders in the hope that I'll buy something else?
Some hope!
What else do you need if you have beer at a quid a bottle? :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall