The heat

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pwa

Re: The heat

Post by pwa »

How much power does air con use? It occurred to me that as air con is only needed in very sunny weather it could be run directly off solar panels. No help at night, of course. My wife teaches in a 1990s classroom block that becomes an oven in summer. Opening windows and closing blinds does little to help. But the roof, or one side of it, would be perfect for solar.
horizon

Post by horizon »

pwa wrote:How much power does air con use? It occurred to me that as air con is only needed in very sunny weather it could be run directly off solar panels. No help at night, of course. My wife teaches in a 1990s classroom block that becomes an oven in summer. Opening windows and closing blinds does little to help. But the roof, or one side of it, would be perfect for solar.

So this is how it works:

In extreme weather on very hot days for the elderly and vulnerable you use a/c.
Then you extend it for office workers.
And restaurants (for the customers, of course).
Then in the shops.
And in all workplaces. And in the car going home. And in hotels overnight. And therefore why not in the home? And why only when the heat is extreme? And what now is extreme: over 25 deg? Over 20 deg? And indeed why not all the time everywhere? And then find that you don't get on very well in Cornwall when it's hot so now you need it in the local Spar shop. In Cornwall.

Solar or not, free or not, it's still madness.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
pwa

Post by pwa »

horizon wrote:
pwa wrote:How much power does air con use? It occurred to me that as air con is only needed in very sunny weather it could be run directly off solar panels. No help at night, of course. My wife teaches in a 1990s classroom block that becomes an oven in summer. Opening windows and closing blinds does little to help. But the roof, or one side of it, would be perfect for solar.

So this is how it works:

In extreme weather on very hot days for the elderly and vulnerable you use a/c.
Then you extend it for office workers.
And restaurants (for the customers, of course).
Then in the shops.
And in all workplaces. And in the car going home. And in hotels overnight. And therefore why not in the home? And why only when the heat is extreme? And what now is extreme: over 25 deg? Over 20 deg? And indeed why not all the time everywhere? And then find that you don't get on very well in Cornwall when it's hot so now you need it in the local Spar shop. In Cornwall.

Solar or not, free or not, it's still madness.

In a classroom where it it is registering 32c and you have to try to get 30 kids to concentrate on the lesson?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Just use plug in portable fans for the few days in the year when it is too hot, and put blinds or shades over the windows
In winter put on warm clothes and use the heating less
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pwa

Post by pwa »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Just use plug in portable fans for the few days in the year when it is too hot, and put blinds or shades over the windows
In winter put on warm clothes and use the heating less

The 32c is with the blinds over the windows! :lol: My wife has tried taking in fans but the kids squabble over where they are placed. And would ten fans use less juice than one aircon unit? It is hard to get through lessons when the kids are too uncomfortable to concentrate and the teacher has sweat dripping off the end of her nose. It would be cooler outside but in a school with over 1200 pupils if one class is seen outside the others want to go out too and lessons end. So the school forbids it.

In winter the kids work with coats and hats on.

What exactly do architects get paid for?
Last edited by pwa on 30 Jun 2018, 12:06pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

One would have thought schools in The Valleys could have been built shaded by the terrifying slopes of the hills :wink:

Air-con is a great con, it's the economy stupid, costs a bomb to install, if it does not work one can not just take it back for a refund, needs lots of maintenance, most of the year it is not needed

The kiddies spend too much time at school, maybe they could be scent home if it is too hot
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pwa

Post by pwa »

Cyril Haearn wrote:One would have thought schools in The Valleys could have been built shaded by the terrifying slopes of the hills :wink:

Air-con is a great con, it's the economy stupid, costs a bomb to install, if it does not work one can not just take it back for a refund, needs lots of maintenance, most of the year it is not needed

The kiddies spend too much time at school, maybe they could be scent home if it is too hot

It isn't in the valleys.

If the kids get sent home the parents have to leave work, and the uproar begins.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Been out this morning, just back and it was 61 °C in the conservatory. :shock: is this hot enough to fry an egg? :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
pwa

Post by pwa »

rjb wrote:Been out this morning, just back and it was 61 °C in the conservatory. :shock: is this hot enough to fry an egg? :lol:

I advise not sitting in there too long. Great for drying the washing though.
horizon

Post by horizon »

pwa wrote:
In a classroom where it it is registering 32c and you have to try to get 30 kids to concentrate on the lesson?

There are schools and teachers (yes, they exist) who force children to sit in classrooms on blistering hot days to study, indoors. If the children refuse, their parents are imprisoned.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

rjb wrote:Been out this morning, just back and it was 61 °C in the conservatory. :shock: is this hot enough to fry an egg? :lol:

now if you had a thermal couple between there and your room adjoining could generate some power? :wink:
seems to be you need to put up some aluminium foil in the windows?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Been in Plymouth today doing some retail therapy.
Hot in the afternoon, but cloudy earlier, which was nice.

Home now, and it's 31degC full sun without a cloud in the sky ................. sorry, a little hazy at the moment.
Mick F. Cornwall
rjb

Post by rjb »

Early start tomorrow at the rising sun ?
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

On Wednesday my wife and I rode from Devils Bridge over the mountain roads to a hotel at Staunton on Wye 59 miles. Thursday we did a tough 51 mile ride from there through Hay on Wye and over the Gospel Pass (highest road in Wales) finishing the day at a hotel in Monmouth. Then Friday we cycled 46 miles home. Not great mileage by our years gone by standard but not bad for two old fogies well into their 70s, in this heat and carrying out own luggage.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
horizon

Post by horizon »

pwa wrote: My wife teaches in a 1990s classroom block that becomes an oven in summer.

I missed that. I hope I didn't cause offence. :oops: