The heat

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Vetus Ossa

Re: The heat

Post by Vetus Ossa »

Mick F wrote:
philvantwo wrote:More beer Mick F? :lol:
Yes, we did!

Talking of beer, Morrisons are doing bottles of Old Speckled Hen for a quid a bottle.
Lidl's were doing it at £1.25 a bottle, but it's now £1.49 and Hobgoblin is still at £1.25.
I think I saw Hobgoblin in Morrisons today at a quid a bottle, but I prefer the Old Speckled Hen.

How these shops can sell beer so cheaply, I don't know. Maybe loss-leaders in the hope that I'll buy something else?
Some hope!
What else do you need if you have beer at a quid a bottle? :lol:

I have boycotted Sainsbury’s since the stopped stocking Badgers Golden Champion!!

Have to drive to Lee Mill now :(
Beauty will save the world.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Mick F wrote:

A conscience? :wink:
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Vetus Ossa wrote:
Mick F wrote:
philvantwo wrote:More beer Mick F? :lol:
Yes, we did!

Talking of beer, Morrisons are doing bottles of Old Speckled Hen for a quid a bottle.
Lidl's were doing it at £1.25 a bottle, but it's now £1.49 and Hobgoblin is still at £1.25.
I think I saw Hobgoblin in Morrisons today at a quid a bottle, but I prefer the Old Speckled Hen.

How these shops can sell beer so cheaply, I don't know. Maybe loss-leaders in the hope that I'll buy something else?
Some hope!

I have boycotted Sainsbury’s since the stopped stocking Badgers Golden Champion!!

one thing I like about the self service queue in Streatham Lidl's is that where they keep all the booze.as with all queues have to wait a few minutes. On one side the wines for the hotty tooties clives and janets and on the other side the spirits and the beers for the bills and janices. I like the beer display best all those strange names of beers like those mentioned above are just 3 or so out of must be 20. Really do they all taste different to justify these fancy names or is it that beer drinkers have an inferiority complex when they see all the fancy wine names on the other side :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
so some one here explain the difference between an Hobgoblin and Old Speckled Hen to name just two. please I really want to know :wink:
Last edited by mercalia on 2 Jul 2018, 3:30pm, edited 2 times in total.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
pwa wrote:
No it is just a minor re-alignment. The mystery is why some numpty didn't swerve the route to one side of the great tree in the first place.

I'm unaware of the intricacies of that particular case but but you're right of course

PlusMinus
Driving from the top to the bottom of Wales without going through England will be easier = more traffic!
Newtown is old, but it is a New Town too :wink:

That town has always been blighted by having the trunk road down the main street. It will be a quieter, calmer place with the by-pass, and a nicer place for us cyclists to visit.
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

mercalia wrote:
Vetus Ossa wrote:
Mick F wrote:Yes, we did!

Some hope!

one thing I like about the self service queue in Streatham Lidl's is that where they keep all the booze.as with all queues have to wait a few minutes. On one side the wines for the hotty tooties and on the other side the spirits and the beers. I like the beer display best all those strange names of beers like those mentioned above are just 3 or so out of must be 20. Really do they all taste different to justify these fancy names or is it that beer drinkers have an inferiority complex when they see all the fancy wine names on the other side :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
so some one here explain the difference between an Hobgoblin and Old Speckled Hen to name just two. please I really want to know :wink:

There’s only one way I can think of to find out for yourself :lol:
But, yes, for sure they all do taste different.
Beauty will save the world.
mjr

Post by mjr »

pwa wrote:And would ten fans use less juice than one aircon unit?

Almost certainly. A classroom-size aircon is probably going to be measured in kW (here's a 2.6kW one for an 18m² room) whereas my ancient 9" office fan is 25W aka 0.025kW and uncomfortable to sit too close to on full pelt. You could give 40 kids a 9" fan each, put them all on full-blast and it still wouldn't be half that air con.

pwa wrote:It is hard to get through lessons when the kids are too uncomfortable to concentrate and the teacher has sweat dripping off the end of her nose. It would be cooler outside but in a school with over 1200 pupils if one class is seen outside the others want to go out too and lessons end. So the school forbids it.

Then the school is broken and needs fixing.

pwa wrote:What exactly do architects get paid for?

Are you sure the school was designed specifically for that site by architects?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

mercalia wrote: .......so some one here explain the difference between an Hobgoblin and Old Speckled Hen to name just two. please I really want to know :wink:
Hobgoblin is 5.2%, but tastes and feels quite a bit stronger.
It's a rich heavy malty beer and if it's cheap, I'll buy it and drink it.
You get a lot of bang for your buck with HG for £1.25 a bottle from Lidl's.

Old Speckled Hen is more of a bitter lighter beer, and less rich and malty. It's 5% and is quite refreshing in comparison to HG, and I actually really like it and at a quid a bottle from Morrison's, you cannot complain at all.

First time I had OSH, was on draught at Bridgwater at the Crossed Rifles, so if you happen to be cycling that way - 89miles from here and my first stop north - call in at the CR just about one hundred yards from the wonderful B+B at cyclist friendly The Admiral Blake.
https://www.admiralblakegh.com

If I were you, I'd go and buy a bottle of HG and another of OSH and try them back-to-back. You're not going to spend a fortune on them!
Very different beers.
Don't put them in the fridge, just serve at a cool ambient temperature and pour gently into a pint glass . We keep our bottles on a shelf in the north facing front porch open to the breeze.
Mick F. Cornwall
rjb

Post by rjb »

Mick F wrote:First time I had OSH, was on draught at Bridgwater at the Crossed Rifles, so if you happen to be cycling that way - 89miles from here and my first stop north - call in at the CR just about one hundred yards from the wonderful B+B at cyclist friendly The Admiral Blake.
https://www.admiralblakegh.com

We keep our bottles on a shelf in the north facing front porch open to the breeze.

That's very generous of you.
May call in on my next trip south 89 miles to yours. So if you notice your short, you know who to blame. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
pwa

Post by pwa »

mjr wrote:
pwa wrote:And would ten fans use less juice than one aircon unit?

Almost certainly. A classroom-size aircon is probably going to be measured in kW (here's a 2.6kW one for an 18m² room) whereas my ancient 9" office fan is 25W aka 0.025kW and uncomfortable to sit too close to on full pelt. You could give 40 kids a 9" fan each, put them all on full-blast and it still wouldn't be half that air con.

pwa wrote:It is hard to get through lessons when the kids are too uncomfortable to concentrate and the teacher has sweat dripping off the end of her nose. It would be cooler outside but in a school with over 1200 pupils if one class is seen outside the others want to go out too and lessons end. So the school forbids it.

Then the school is broken and needs fixing.

pwa wrote:What exactly do architects get paid for?

Are you sure the school was designed specifically for that site by architects?

I'll take your word for the maths.
I remember the block being built and I said at the time that it didn't look any different to other badly designed buildings that get too hot in summer and too cold in winter, and so it has proved. The windows soon deformed and let howling gales in during the coldest months, and the place becomes like a greenhouse in summer. Another building made of similar materials that was built at the same time, and which I worked in, showed that great insulation and shading from the summer heat is possible without spending a lot.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

pwa wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:
reohn2 wrote:I'm unaware of the intricacies of that particular case but but you're right of course

PlusMinus
Driving from the top to the bottom of Wales without going through England will be easier = more traffic!

That town has always been blighted by having the trunk road down the main street. It will be a quieter, calmer place with the by-pass, and a nicer place for us cyclists to visit.

It was quiet when I cycled there in 1973
The A483 is not the main street, it does not go right through the town centre even now
There was a plan for a Dinas Newydd, New City, 70 000 people, Newtown-Caersws. That could have been good for cycling, on either side of the river
Barry Hoban lives nearby, +8 TdF stages
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pwa

Post by pwa »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
pwa wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:PlusMinus

It was quiet when I cycled there in 1973
The A483 is not the main street, it does not go right through the town centre even now
There was a plan for a Dinas Newydd, New City, 70 000 people, Newtown-Caersws. That could have been good for cycling, on either side of the river
Barry Hoban lives nearby, +8 TdF stages

I cycled through there on a 200 mile ride one hot summer day around 1990, from South Wales to Bolton, and the A483 was a busy old road. I don't blame the people of Newtown wanting that taken out of town.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

seems like the roads are starting to melt and things and people sinking into the goo
Man gets stuck in melted tarmac in Newcastle
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-44730908
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Out this morning early, and the tyres were making a different noise on the road.
It was only shortly after 6am so it wasn't the tarmac melting, so I think it was residue of rubber/tar from car tyres being stuck to the road during the heat of the previous day.

My tyres sounded "sticky" as I rode along.
Mick F. Cornwall
RickH

Post by RickH »

mercalia wrote:seems like the roads are starting to melt and things and people sinking into the goo
Man gets stuck in melted tarmac in Newcastle
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-44730908

I think it more likely he put his foot through a thin layer of softened tarmac that was a "lid" on a preexisting void beneath.

"Man gets stuck in melted tarmac..." just sounds more dramatic than "Man gets foot stuck down hole..."
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.