Ad Blockers

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Bsteel

Re: Ad Blockers

Post by Bsteel »

661-Pete wrote:
pete75 wrote:Adblock has an option to allow some non obtrusive advertising. That's their description. Have never tried it but it may do what you want.
I've tried. I can't be absolutely certain, but it appears not to do what I want.

One of the worst offenders is the Independent (newspaper) - which, as you know, now exists online only. I can't handle the site with ads enabled. But if I turn on Adblock, they scream at me....

It may be worth taking a look at the 'Brave' web browser, the adblocker is built into the browser and does seem very effective. However I believe it may well fund this with it's own ads and tracking.
Username

Post by Username »

pete75 wrote:The point about advertising is that many free to use websites are funded by advertisements.
Paid for newspapers contain paid for adverts and anyone who buys teh newspaper is effectively paying to see the adverts. Online newspapers have to be funded somehow either through a so called paywall or by being paid by advertisers.

The ads should be restricted to a side panal or some other non intusive method. Popups are unacceptable.

TV is ridiculous. I only ever watch stuff on catchup or prerecorded stuff. Watching TV the normal way is incredibly frustrating due to excessive ad breaks. I also don't watch stuff on Dave anymore, even their catchup. A hour long program is reduced to 40-45mins on Dave due to ads, worst of both worlds. If I had my way I'd ban ads during programs, at least for subscription channels.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Username wrote:
pete75 wrote:The point about advertising is that many free to use websites are funded by advertisements.
Paid for newspapers contain paid for adverts and anyone who buys teh newspaper is effectively paying to see the adverts. Online newspapers have to be funded somehow either through a so called paywall or by being paid by advertisers.

The ads should be restricted to a side panal or some other non intusive method. Popups are unacceptable.

TV is ridiculous. I only ever watch stuff on catchup or prerecorded stuff. Watching TV the normal way is incredibly frustrating due to excessive ad breaks. I also don't watch stuff on Dave anymore, even their catchup. A hour long program is reduced to 40-45mins on Dave due to ads, worst of both worlds. If I had my way I'd ban ads during programs, at least for subscription channels.

It's not difficult to prevent pop ups and you don't need an ad blocker to do it.
With ITV it's teh ad breaks which pay for the programmes - no ads no programme.
What is Dave?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mjr

Post by mjr »

pete75 wrote:What is Dave?

I believe it's a popular free-to-air television channel owned by BBC and Discovery, m'lud, mostly showing repeats of panel shows and Top Gear, not to be confused with the former prime minister.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Username

Post by Username »

pete75 wrote:
Username wrote:

It's not difficult to prevent pop ups and you don't need an ad blocker to do it.
With ITV it's teh ad breaks which pay for the programmes - no ads no programme.
What is Dave?

Dave, it's a channel that shows repeats from other channels. Top Gear and Only Fools and Horses are prime examples.

How do you stop those "we use cookies" type popups asking you to accept?
meic

Post by meic »

How do you stop those "we use cookies" type popups asking you to accept?

An add on called "I dont care about cookies" as it is new you still have to report any that slip through their net but they are then added to the list.
Yma o Hyd
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mjr wrote:
pete75 wrote:What is Dave?

I believe it's a popular free-to-air television channel owned by BBC and Discovery, m'lud, mostly showing repeats of panel shows and Top Gear, not to be confused with the former prime minister.

Aimed at low life chav scum then?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker