Yahoo....scam or real?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
531colin

Yahoo....scam or real?

Post by 531colin »

I got an E mail purporting to be from Yahoo saying their system had prevented somebody signing into my E mail account (in Russia!) because they were using an old, non-secure (etc) app.
I was invited to change my settings so that such an app. could be used if this was me trying to log in from Russia, presumably using somebody else's device, or to change my password if I thought the attempted sign-in was fraudulent.
They thoughtfully provided me with links to help me change my password or settings, but I don't think I will be using their links!

So my question, good people, is.....real or scam of some sort?
I'm not clever enough to attach the E mail here....... :(
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Yahoo....scam or real?

Post by Mick F »

Can't help, but something happened to my Google account some time back.
I can't get in with my passwords etc so I click on the Forgot Password link and they ask where to send the code to, offering a mobile number or an email address. Neither of which are mine. Consequently, I can't add or edit my blogs.
Mick F. Cornwall
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

531colin wrote:They thoughtfully provided me with links to help me change my password or settings, but I don't think I will be using their links!

I am not clever either in such matters...
But I think you are very wise not to use the links.
firedfromthecircus

Post by firedfromthecircus »

The golden rule is never click the links. Navigate to the site in question in your normal manner from your browser. If there has been a security issue then you will be able to sort it from there anyway without having to click in through a link.

As to whether this particular e-mail was a scam, I have recently had cause to sign in to a few accounts via new devices. My experience is that the site will email to say there has been a new log in but that if it is legit I don't have to do anything. If it is not legit then go to the site and change passwords. I don't remember them giving links.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

531colin wrote:I got an E mail purporting to be from Yahoo saying their system had prevented somebody signing into my E mail account (in Russia!) because they were using an old, non-secure (etc) app.
I was invited to change my settings so that such an app. could be used if this was me trying to log in from Russia, presumably using somebody else's device, or to change my password if I thought the attempted sign-in was fraudulent.
They thoughtfully provided me with links to help me change my password or settings, but I don't think I will be using their links!

I get some thing similar with Gmail but in that case it is just me using another computer and Thunderbird email client. so in my case it is genuine. In your case it looks to me like an attempt to get your details for identity theft, imitating some thing that does actually happen for real as in my case. Its a kin to some one pretending to be from eg Barclay Card telling you you need to confirm your details etc becuase some irregular activity has been spotted on your account ( hehe them :wink: )
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

This stuff makes me so angry. But what puzzles me is how on earth these scammers hope to score any 'hits' when the phony-ness of their messages is so blatant?

A recent message purporting to be from Paypal:
Pay Pal

Update information - PayPal <here a meaningless jumble of letters and digits>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We need to confirm the information you've given us. Please provide the requested information as soon as possible to ensure you can continue to use our service.
Until we can confirm the information you've given us, we need to limit most of the functionality on your account. For now, you can continue to receive payments but you won't be able to withdraw funds or make payments.
There then followed a couple of links, which needless to say (hovering the mouse was sufficient) pointed to nothing in the least resembling a Paypal address.

Do they really expect people to respond to such a message, which doesn't even contain the targetted person's name?

No - wait! They only need one sucker to be drawn in, out of many millions. They they've scored.... :evil:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

I treat everything like this with suspicion. As above never sign in through the link. Just go through your browser to the respective site.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I have had lots of " your Paypal account will be restricted until you ......." emails.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

like this one

click  to enlarge
click to enlarge
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Golden rule: It's a scam.

Platinum rule: If you *do* have an account with them, then log in using your own bookmarks and check alerts in there... Never click on a link in an email.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

yes I seem to have accounts all over the place often with Apple :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

531colin wrote:I got an E mail purporting to be from Yahoo saying their system had prevented somebody signing into my E mail account (in Russia!) because they were using an old, non-secure (etc) app.

It depends... Email from yahoo will say something like

This sign-in attempt was made on:

Date and time:
19 June 2018 08:33:54 PDT

Estimated location:

Russia

Device:

browser, windows nt

(IP address: XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX)

If this was you, you don’t need to do anything else.

If this wasn't you:
1.Review your account activity and remove the devices and apps that you don’t recognise.
2.Review your phone numbers and email addresses and remove the ones that don’t belong to you.

They may include links, but they require you to login to your account, or to access them from a device that is already logged in. If you are uncertain, it is best to go to the yahoo site and follwo their instructions, or contact them with information about the email you received.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom