Insect ident please

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Insect ident please

Post by Mick F »

When we had them up in the loft years ago, they were coming in and out via a small hole in the top corner of the southern gable end top corner barge boards. Right at the very top corner.

We got in touch with Cornwall Council. They put us on to a private pest control firm because it's all contracted out these days. We were told that if they weren't a problem to us, to leave them alone and they'll eventually leave, then block the hole up .......... but they never come back to a previous nest anyway.

When our present ones go ....... and it won't be long now, maybe a couple of weeks or so ........ I'll be removing the nest for a trophy plus pulling down the old elm stump as it's in the way.

The old nest up in the loft is still there. Must be ten years now. It's difficult to get at to take away, but it's still there right in the top corner.
Mick F. Cornwall
rjb

Post by rjb »

We've had noticed posted up in the village asking us to report any sightings of Asian hornets. There are confirmed sightings in Cornwall at Liskeard and North Devon. Somerset may be next :(
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

If you find them, report them, and they'll be exterminated.
They are a major threat to honey bees.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Our hornets have gone.

Their nest was getting less used and it seemed that there were fewer and fewer hornets going in and out over the last week or so, and as we had heavy rains and winds recently, their nest was bashed and broken by it.

There wasn't much left of it on the ground and none at all on the tree stump. I carefully picked up a very damp but intact piece and brought it inside to dry out and photograph.
IMG_0577.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
The one I saw was about 30 - 40 mm long looked like a wasp, sunning itself at the local tip, never seen one that big before, looked dangerous.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

That's big even for a European hornet. Possibly a queen. Interesting piccy of the 'comb', MickF. Never seen a hornet's nest myself - encountered plenty of hornets, but they've been out foraging and clearly some distance from the nest.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Saw a hornet resting on a fence post on Sunday. Seemed a bit dozy and eventually flew off.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

What about this whopper?

1805-57TZ70.jpg
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

As climate change ramps up, we will have to get used to seeing all sorts of strange insects, some benign, some not. Never mind, on the plus side, there will be fabulous wines available from pretty vineyards in Kent... rest assured that there will no other down-side.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)