Insect ident please

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Insect ident please

Post by Mick F »

We've had hornets up in the loft, and they were flying in and out of a hole up in the eves.
They were huge, much bigger than my stinging waspy thing. Maybe an inch and a half long.

From what we were told, they were non-agressive and not to worry about them. They eventually left and I blocked up the hole, but they were no trouble at all.
Mick F. Cornwall
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

The typical size of a European hornet worker is about 25mm (one inch) long. Your specimen looks to be just that size - or it would be if it were straightened out.

If you saw much larger hornets earlier in the year they may have been queens which can measure 35mm.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Well, it it were a hornet, their publicity is much exaggerated.
I was stung, firstly on the right upper arm. The sting didn't hurt any more than a good nettle sting, and maybe the same as a wasp sting.
All gone now, and there were zero marks on my arm and no after-effects.

Wasp, IMHO.
Nothing more.
It was a biggy, and probably a queen wasp.

Still have it in the kitchen on the windowsill. Anyone want an autopsy ................ or a closer photo?
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Well .................

It was a hornet, and I know where the nest is.
Took a couple of photos, but I don't want to get too near of course!

Along our property many years ago, there was a row of elm trees. All that's left now is a few stumps, and it's on one of them that the hornets have built their nest. This stump has been gradually falling off the bank for years, and I've always planned to pull it completely down but never got round to it. I ain't going to do for a while yet! :lol:

The black bin on the right is our compost bin, and it's about 15ft from the nest. I've done a zoom in as well.
The other photo is from below the bank looking up.
IMG_0001.JPG
Zoom.jpg
PICT4949.JPG
Mick F. Cornwall
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Many many moons ago and in another life, I once kicked a stump like that in riverside woods in the higher reaches of the Tamar.
It exploded!
The resultant Michelin Man lookalike was a source of some amusment in a public house later that evening!!
------

They are pretty quiet peaceful left alone though.
Now rare or non existant in many places in Britain.
Do a fair bit of good in their environment;
And certainly interesting.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Well spotted! If you can, keep away from it (all social insects regard a close approach to their nest or hive as a threat - beekeepers know that!). If you leave it alone, it'll be a lot less trouble than a common wasps' nest.

At least you know now what that queen you encountered earlier in the year, was up to...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

European hornet .......... not Asian.

We were out yesterday evening leaving at seven-ish and were going to come back late, so we left the outside front light on as well as the porch light. The porch is just a shelter really, with no outer door.

We came home, I unlocked the front door, and leant out of the door to turn the porch and outside lights off, and felt a little fluttering on my hand. I stopped turning the lights off and saw that it was a hornet on the light switch and his friend was buzzing about. I got a small sting on my right thigh through my trouser leg, and the assailant died for his sin as I knocked it off and trod on it.

Meanwhile, there's still two in the porch, so off went the lights and the door closed tightly.
The two of them were still there this morning, but looking very sorry for themselves, huddled together on the door-step.

We can only think that leaving the lights on in daylight when the hornets were active, they were possibly attracted to the flies and insects that would congregate by the lights as it got dark. Maybe this morning, the hornets are lost and don't know the way back. Either way, they seem very subdued.

Perhaps the queen has finished laying and has flown, and all the workers are slowly dying.
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Outside lights seem to attract hornets and if you get too close they often seem to try to attack you. It often happens this time of year too. Scary… I keep outside lights off for that reason and only switched on when needed.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

We have a hornet nosing around our garden at this very moment, even as I'm writing this. Unusual to see one active at midday: they're more crepuscular in their habits than other wasps. This one seems to be taking an interest in the ivy which grows all over our fence, and is currently in flower.

There are plenty of common wasps around too. It's when you see a hornet alongside a common wasp, that you appreciate the difference in size. But unlike their smaller cousins which can be a damned nuisance at this time of year, the hornets never trouble us. A welcome visitor!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Dead one on the floor of the porch today.
The two that were there, had gone this morning, but later we found another one but as dead as a door-nail.

Question:
I'm often - if not permanently - in bare feet domestically.
Considering that these hornets are dying (mabe in increasing numbers) can we get stung by stepping on a dead one?
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Mick F wrote:Considering that these hornets are dying (mabe in increasing numbers) can we get stung by stepping on a dead one?

Only if it died ar* se up.. :D

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Crepuscular?
Ours are out and about from dawn until dusk.
All day, buzzing in and out of the growing in size nest.

Dunno about very early morning or quite late into the evening, but any or all daylight and they are there all day.

As for stinging when dead be they up or down ...........
I wonder if the sting is still "alive" when they are dead and still. Maybe they need to actively stick their stinger into you using live bodily fluids.

Tell you what, I'll experiment and check .......................................................... oh no I won't! :lol: :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

In the paper this morning "Asian Hornets spotted in Liskeard" . Not too far from Gunnislake. Whats yours Mick? https://goo.gl/images/r2VzBn Apparently they can killl 500 bees a day!

Apparently you need to report their prescence, to DEFRA I suppose?

Al
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We have a friend locally who is a beekeeper and we've been in touch with photographs etc.
Ours are European, and NOT asian, though we do know there are a few Asian hornets around and about, but ours are European ............ and probably Cornish. :wink:

TBH, I'm sorry that they're not Asian, because they are indeed notifiable ....... and as such, they are treated free of charge.
The ones we have up the path here, are severely cramping our style, as we can't go up the path to the rest of the garden.
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Next door neighbour had hornets in his roof. He got them treated with that white powder poison but the next year they were back. A second heavier dose did get rid of them. Sounds like you need to lather the nest with it over the winter or in the early Spring.

Al