Osmand (again).

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
fausto copy

Osmand (again).

Post by fausto copy »

I've been happily using Osmand mapping on my Moto 4 phone for a couple of years now, since the recommendation from Alyrpal.
I don't tend to use the phone for much else unless I want a quick browse on t'internet when away in the camper van.
I've got BT mobile with a 500mB monthly allowance and have never gone above that, so no problem.

However, I've recently noticed that after each ride my allowance has been eaten into and after using Osmand for several day rides, I've used up my allowance.

I (foolishly?) assumed that Osmand was simply using a GPS single to operate whilst following my input gpx routes, but it appears that it's using my BT phone signal.
I have tried disabling the mobile signal but Osmand failed to work, although I did manage to follow the route the last time out.

Can someone please enlighten me on its properties please, or what I should be doing to limit the allowance usage.

Cheers, fausto.
SimonCelsa

Re: Osmand (again).

Post by SimonCelsa »

I am not sure what you mean when you say you have 'disabled the mobile signal'.

The obvious thing to try (which maybe you have done reference the above) is to check the phone location mode;

Settings - location - device only (use GPS to determine location). The other options are 'high accuracy' and 'battery saving' which use GPS, wifi & mobile networks to determine location. This is on a moto E so should be reasonably similar. Although I haven't used OSMand for a while, when I have used it I can't recall my phone balance depleting.

Any help?
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

I haven't used Osmand, but from experience with other mapping apps I suspect it is downloading mapping information as it goes, rather than using a pre-downloaded map. Some apps can be very "helpful" in that regard, the developers seem to assume everyone has unlimited data plans and very little 'phone memory.

Some also continually download local traffic information, and I have used one that uses a remote server to calculate routes - which is not a good thing to find out when stuck in a strange town with no mobile data left!

From a quick search it looks like the free version of Osmand has a limit on how much "offline" map it will store, maybe your routes have taken it over that limit.

Traffic and route info are not huge on their own but they still add up, and map tiles can be pretty big.
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Have you set up the prog to do its routing online rather than offline OP?

Faster but of course goes online.

By the by, shouldn't this thread be in another section?

You might get more help then.
Sweep
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I’m not familiar with your phone, but, can’t you just select Osmand and don’t allow access to mobile data?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Thanks for your replies.
My phone is actually a Moto E (not 4, as stated) and I've been into settings as Simon mentions and it is set up as he suggests.

When I said I disabled the mobile signal, I meant I'd switched off the connection to BT (my provider).
As something had eaten in to my allowance I just wanted to make sure I could follow my downloaded gpx route using Osmand.

I'm still not sure whether I can do that, as the first time I tried it a message came up saying I had no connection (to what I know not)
and the second time my route did display and I was able to follow it.

I'm also unclear as to how my data allowance is being used. :?

fausto.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

I use Osmand on a MotoG. I download the relevant free map using WiFi. For instance the North West UK. It does not take much space and anyway Osmand saves maps to the SD card. I disable Data when I'm out, it all works perfectly and does not affect Data allowance.
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

I've got the paid version of Osmand and have downloaded the relevant maps.
(I hadn't realised I hadn't downloaded South of England, so when we were touring there last week I just had my route shown on a plain screen, but at least I could follow it OK.)
The maps aren't the problem; it's when I follow the input gpx route that my data allowance is being used up.

I'll try it again with data disabled.

fausto.