Boys (formerly) in Cave

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Tangled Metal

Re: Boys (formerly) in Cave

Post by Tangled Metal »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:
Vorpal wrote:...asks the person with a Welsh user name :wink: :wink:

To be fair he probably shortened it for us. :D

Bryn Poeth *Uchaf*
A YH near Cynghordy, no road access, stayed there once
Means: Hill Warm Upper

That was a joke but might have known it to be true. :D

I love the welsh language. Predictable but impenetrable to outsiders. Reminds me of going off path in the Rhinnogs (probably bad spelling but I am English with a hint of American ancestry so let me off).
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Tangled Metal wrote:
Vorpal wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Why do Thai people have such long names?

...asks the person with a Welsh user name :wink: :wink:

To be fair he probably shortened it for us. :D

Would you two care to explain your pseudonyms?
Rhinog is spelt with one "n", it obviously refers to the rhinoceri who lived there millions of years ago
Moel Ysgyfarnogod is the hill of the hare, looks just like one :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Done them both. In my hill bagging days. Still remember the trip, out one way and back, out the other and back and so on. A quick trip to bag hills so we didn't have to come back to get the odd outlier later on. Not that coming back was something to be avoided more that a single hill in a group that's not bagged becomes annoying as it's likely not a full day out to get it.

In the past my hill days were numerous but not enough in Wales.

My name was something that crashed into my head when registering. Normally I struggle thinking of a username. This time it's been reading about a poster having an accident and writing off his bike (might be on another forum). When registering I just thought of that broken bike hence the username.

I know I'm not alright! I think differently at times. I wasn't more concerned about the bike but having been concerned about the rider in the thread is now moved on to the practicalities of thinking about what I'd do about the bike. Reclaim what I could for the next bike? For example.

It's sometimes interesting to hear how ppl come up with their username. Like yours is a Welsh descriptive name used for a hostel you stayed at. I take it a memorable trip or place? Another story for another place perhaps.

I must admit to being curious about mercalia. I think mercalia on CUK predated the one in shipping news book and perhaps isn't the person who wrote 5 episodes of Downton Abbey. Google only goes so far with me at the controls!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Oh no, bagging Hewitts! Too much driving for me
Showell Styles had it right, he conquered Cnicht hundreds of times, the weather and the light were different each time
Brocken-Benno has conquered the Brocken thousands of times (he could not start until 1989) and has become a minor celebrity, Plus One
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Wait until trig points call! Calling a remote farm just to ask permission to visit a trig point in their back garden so you can record the trip officially, too far IMHO.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

661-Pete wrote:I have to ask, what the hell were these wretched kids and their teacher doing in a known-to-be dangerous cavern, in the first place!? At the start of the monsoon season to boot! I read somewhere that the objective of their little adventure was to write their names on the cave wall somewhere at the far end of the system.

Apparently the boys had been in the cave before. Versions about the coach's responsibility in the matter vary.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/world/ ... b88889337z
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/10/worl ... eless.html
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Vorpal wrote:
661-Pete wrote:I have to ask, what the hell were these wretched kids and their teacher doing in a known-to-be dangerous cavern, in the first place!? At the start of the monsoon season to boot! I read somewhere that the objective of their little adventure was to write their names on the cave wall somewhere at the far end of the system.

Apparently the boys had been in the cave before. Versions about the coach's responsibility in the matter vary.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/world/ ... b88889337z
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/10/worl ... eless.html

Apparently there was a sign outside warning people not to go in
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

There's caves, quarries and mines in the UK with signs saying don't go in. I think I've been in quite a few, stepping over the fence to get there at times too.

The cave quarry on the side of Loughrigg had a fence put across it once but that got ignored. I know a lot of people who've been down a few admits at Coniston copper mines.

It's human nature to ignore warning signs when there's a strong local tradition of going into a cave system. If there wasn't this effect then there is cave art and the culture it represents that wouldn't exist.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Cave art is fascinating, the start of "civilisation"? One cave in France suffered from so many visitors breathing so a replica was made, hopefully with an even floor :wink:
The thought of getting lost in a dark cave is very scaring, plenty of people get lost and are never found, there are show caves one may visit for a small fee

I would imagine the signs are put up with good reason, they should always be obeyed just like traffic law, maximum speed limits &c
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Well, if it's true that the coach went in after the boys, in an effort to rescue them, that puts a different complexion on it - very different. I agree about that.

One problem with these immense media beanfests, is that stories get garbled and distorted.

As to dissuading boys of that age from taking risks- just try! When I was a kid, there were children who used to play 'chicken' on the railway lines. Occasionally they didn't survive. Such incidents were tragic but didn't grab worldwide headlines. I think, if the news coverage had been scaled back, this would just have been another 'rescue story' exciting some local interest. Like mining accidents.

Any way of knocking a bit of common sense into these youngsters? Well, one idea comes to mind: I suggest that Mark Twain's Tom Sawyer (I presume Thai translations exist) be made compulsory reading in all schools in Thailand...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).