Re-tune your TV?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
661-Pete

Re-tune your TV?

Post by 661-Pete »

We use Freeview. As it happens we watch very little these days, mostly news and weather (both of which can be got on the internet of course).

But last night we turned on only to get the message "No Signal". Well, I spent a while fiddling about, check if the aerial lead had got pulled out at the set or the wall; tried powering things off and on a few times, went outside to see if the aerial had come off the roof (improbably). No joy. So today I was up in the loft checking the cable (was a bit worried that a mouse might have gnawed through it). Still no joy. Turned on again: "No signal".

Looked on the BBC website and no reports of any malfunctions at the transmitter end.

Finally dug up this little bit of info, deeply buried on the BBC website and not at all easy to find. Re-tuned TV. Problem solved.

My gripe is - if there was any publicity about it, we missed it all. Re-tuning one's receiver is not something one expects to have to do every day - when the big switch-over to digital-only happened a few years ago, there was almighty fuss about it, with offers to send technicians around to people's homes to re-tune for them, etc. etc..... So why no warning, this time? They just silently change the channels without telling anyone.

Oh well - once bitten... as they say. Will know for next time.

End of gripe.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Re-tune your TV?

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Signal has been dropping out for a second or two two days running.............

Anyway does not your device retune every night etc...............automatically....
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Anyway does not your device retune every night etc...............automatically....
No. It's an early-generation device (separate box, feeding into an old analogue TV) and doesn't have any clever stuff like that in it - I was unaware that more modern sets do that. If so, it would be a nuisance to us, if it were to obstinately re-install all the junk channels that I have to carefully edit out after each 'search'....

We have been constantly toying with the idea of getting a more modern TV but have so far resisted: it's hardly worth it for the amount of use we make. Moreover a widescreen wouldn't 'fit' in our living room so well. The current set stands in a corner - very much in the manner of old CRT type sets back in the good old days....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
mjr

Post by mjr »

661-Pete wrote:My gripe is - if there was any publicity about it, we missed it all. Re-tuning one's receiver is not something one expects to have to do every day - when the big switch-over to digital-only happened a few years ago, there was almighty fuss about it, with offers to send technicians around to people's homes to re-tune for them, etc. etc..... So why no warning, this time?

I don't watch freeview much (I have a satellite set which gives even more watchable channels, but not all of the ones on freeview) and even I'd seen the pop-up message warning me that a retune would soon be required. Had you not put the TV on BBC/ITV/4/5 in a week or two?

Two more years of retunes are planned. See https://ukfree.tv/article/1107052530/Of ... le_201720_ for schedule.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
random37

Post by random37 »

There's nothing on anyway!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I heard on the radio this morning that Room 101 has been going for 24years.
I hear Casualty is still running too.
Good grief.

No wonder we don't have a telly anymore!
Mick F. Cornwall