Toblerone

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
661-Pete

Toblerone

Post by 661-Pete »

I can't remember when I last ate one of these things - probably back when I was a kid. I like chocolate, but I prefer it to be more chocolatey and less sugary (Toblerone is 60% sugar it seems). Maybe others on here have more of an addiction to the triangular thingies?

Anyway, they're back in the news so it seems: doing away with the infamous 'bike rack' design and reverting to the bigger, close-packed triangles, in a bar weighing 33% more.... (*applause*)

.... but - wait for it! At a price hike of more than 200% :shock: .

So - is this a 'punishment tax' on kids for complaining about the smaller, more widely-spaced triangles?

Or is this a drive in the fight against childhood obesity, by pricing the children out of a delicious albeit ultra-sweet snack?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Toblerone

Post by Mick F »

I wouldn't give you tuppence for a milk chocolate one, but the dark chocolate version is very nice indeed.
Don't see them very often, but when you do, buy one - or even two.

.......... or even twenty. :D
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Toblerone-Dark ... +toblerone
Mick F. Cornwall
pliptrot

Post by pliptrot »

Just like many things today; the marketing management have control and have zero interest in the customer. The net result of this is endless attempts to cut the cost of the product to manufacture and to put the price up to the buyer. I guess here there was a backlash? I hope a massive increase in the price has the same effect. Cycling equivalent? Brooks saddles.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my SM-G900F using hovercraft full of eels.
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

Toblerone is my guilty pleasure and I always receive one or two at Christmas and birthday.

A few years ago I was in Zurich and dropped into a local restaurant for a meal. There was a giant (fake) Toblerone hanging from the ceiling. One one side it said Toblerone, the second side said Toblertwo and the third side - Toblerthree. Strange, they speak German in Zurich and that joke only works in English!
softlips

Post by softlips »

I bought one of the giant ones a couple of years ago. Was about £40. I expected lots of smaller ones inside but no it was the size of the box. Everyone that visited at Christmas ended up leaving with a piece, had to use a cleaver to cut it.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Having been given a quite substantial Toblerone by the good lady as a pressie i packed it into the panniers and set off to work for the week.
Couple of nights later, mmm fancy a chunk of said confectionary, eating it while reading in bed, luxury ...
Except ..
I fell asleep, the bar melted all over me and the bed clothes !
I woke up covered in brown stuff .. :shock: :shock:
Trying to explain the situation to the Housekeeping staff in the Mess was difficult ... to say the least !!

How they laughed .. eventually !
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Mick F wrote:but the dark chocolate version is very nice indeed.
Don't see them very often, but when you do, buy one - or even two.
That's news to me - never heard of the beast. Mind you, there are easier ways of getting your 'fix' of dark chocolate!

PaulB wrote:Strange, they speak German in Zurich and that joke only works in English!
I was tempted to post the obvious response to that (about 'stereotypes') - but I don't want to get moderated! :oops: Anyway, nearly everyone in Switzerland speaks some English, surely?!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

pliptrot wrote:Just like many things today; the marketing management have control and have zero interest in the customer. The net result of this is endless attempts to cut the cost of the product to manufacture and to put the price up to the buyer. I guess here there was a backlash? I hope a massive increase in the price has the same effect. Cycling equivalent? Brooks saddles.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my SM-G900F using hovercraft full of eels.

I think that this will go down as one of the more inept instances!
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I'm afraid I may have become a bit more cynical than usual about the substance - since I finished reading, a few weeks ago, the best-selling novel Atonement, by Ian McEwan (highly recommended).

For those not familiar with the story, I should explain that one of the characters is a 'chocolate' tycoon - except that he's nothing of the sort! Instead, he amasses his immense fortune through the purveying of fake chocolate bars - containing no chocolate whatsoever. OK - this is only fiction - but it makes me suspicious of anything that looks like chocolate, smells like chocolate, and tastes like chocolate. It may not be....

Pass the Ferrero Rocher around, anyone? Ah Monsieur l'Ambassadeur, vith zis you are spoiling us!
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I always supposed that people only bought it in Duty Free :lol: That's mostly where I have seen it on sale. In Norway, people often bring little treats for their colleagues from wherever they visited on summer holidays. Quite a few of them come from the dutty free at the airport, port of departure, etc.

There's lots of Toblerone, Turkish delight, tubs of M&Ms and that sort of thing around the office in August and early September.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

661-Pete wrote:I'm afraid I may have become a bit more cynical than usual about the substance - since I finished reading, a few weeks ago, the best-selling novel Atonement, by Ian McEwan (highly recommended).

For those not familiar with the story, I should explain that one of the characters is a 'chocolate' tycoon - except that he's nothing of the sort! Instead, he amasses his immense fortune through the purveying of fake chocolate bars - containing no chocolate whatsoever. OK - this is only fiction - but it makes me suspicious of anything that looks like chocolate, smells like chocolate, and tastes like chocolate. It may not be....

Pass the Ferrero Rocher around, anyone? Ah Monsieur l'Ambassadeur, vith zis you are spoiling us!

TBF it's mostly in the UK and USA that one can purvey vegetable oil and fat laced with sugar with only a tiny amount of the ingredient normally thought of as chocolate. Others are rather more scrupulous.

Affecting book, isn't it.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Another literary allusion to chocolate (of sorts) springs to mind:
George Orwell (in 1984) wrote:Chocolate normally was dull-brown crumbly stuff that tasted, as nearly as one could describe it, like the smoke of a rubbish fire.
And of course, elsewhere in the book, there's the report of the ration of this stuff being increased from 30g to 20g (sic)....

OK we don't seem to have reached those depths.... yet!
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Well Mick F, I've finally worked out why Toberone's are the shape they are.............
It's so they fit in the box!!! :lol: :lol:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:lol: :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I thought the last one I tried was a bit chewier and crunchier than expected....

Then I twigged. I was trying to take a bite out of the hedge-trimmer..... :shock: