Front cover of Cycle Mag

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Front cover of Cycle Mag

Post by Mick F »

I'll be emailing the editor later.

Have you seen the front cover of Cycle?

I'm very much aware of advertisements doctoring the photographs to make them "better" but a font cover of a mag about cycling?
Look at the "photo" and see how not only have the cyclists been superimposed on a backdrop of a lovely village in Cheshire? but they've ruined the picture of the lady right at the front.

Fist in the air, but she's got seemingly extra limbs and her left foot has gone, only to replaced by the person who's been obliterated by his or her's foot, and she doesn't seem to have her own left leg at all!

Very very shoddy indeed.
Cycle Mag Front.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Re: Front cover of Cycle Mag

Post by thirdcrank »

Part of the female rider's left leg is hidden by a black bag or something similar strapped behind the head of her frame. I don't think there's been photoshopping in the sense of superimposing people here.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

What? There's a whole other person behind her without a bike. I even think behind her bars there's a silver brake lever in the middle of the left side of her handlebars.

Looking to get left there's a shoddy bit of airbrushing out that IMHO looks almost the angle of front forks of a bone. Look to a kind of swirl there.

I think there were two riders just out of alignment so they removed one and made a bad job of it. Didn't they have a better photographic option? Poor photography or image decisions.

I'm with you Mick. It's bad on so many levels. Badly done. Bad initial photograph to use if you have to take a rider out.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

If one wanted to be pedantic and contravershul.....

A certain piece of equipment is being worn in a way that has been proven to cause injury

Just sayin’ like
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

The guy behind the lady who was badly removed had the same kit on as the guy behind her and to her right. Black with red stripe at the end of the legs and sleeves.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Cunobelin wrote:If one wanted to be pedantic and contravershul.....

A certain piece of equipment is being worn in a way that has been proven to cause injury

Just sayin’ like

Should comments like that get you relegated to a certain equipment ghetto?
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

If it's not doctored, then it is a dreadfully composed photograph. It is extraordinarily unlucky positioning for there to be no part of the second placed bicycle visible, and only an arm, a shoulder and a leg.

I think we have established that cover images are all professionally taken. This one is beyond amateurish.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm assuming two following riders, each in a similar red/black strip. One rider in view, the other masked except for left arm+ left-hand brake lever and right shoulder + part of right leg.

It looks to me as though in addition to the bag I mentioned, the greater part of the rider + bike behind the female rider is also hidden by the bottles mounted on her down tube and seat tube.

It will be interesting to hear what Dan the Editor Man has to say: if photoshopping is the only way to have a woman leading a couple of men it's rather sad..

PS Is there a caption?
PPS I'd agree that professional photographers generally both avoid the plant growing out of somebody's head and often contrive to manoeuvre their unwitting subject in front of something that makes them look as though they are wearing a halo etc.
Last edited by thirdcrank on 23 Jul 2018, 4:42pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Tangled Metal wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:If one wanted to be pedantic and contravershul.....

Just sayin’ like

Should comments like that get you relegated to a certain equipment ghetto?

100% h*****s, is that the law? Certainly if a h****t is worn it should be worn correctly, right?
The Gazette has been going downhill since 1973 IMHO :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

thirdcrank wrote:If photoshopping is the only way to have a woman leading a couple of men it's rather sad..

You know I never even thought that. To me it looks like a supportive in the middle to lower echelons of participants so nobody was leading anyone in any way that's important.

It's funny how people see an image differently. Both in technical aspects and perception of the image.

Whether photoshopped or not it would be interesting to find out. Also if it is why? If someone has been badly removed it was probably not a good shot. Also, was there an attempt for creating a positive female image?

Still I doubt I'll buy the magazine anyway. They all seem to be repetitive with content through the year's cycle.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Professional photographers take hundreds, even thousands of pictures
In the hope that a few are usable :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I wonder if there's confusion about the hidden rider's left arm? If you assume it must be on either the hood or drop it's in the wrong place, but if the rider's using the centre part of the bars, their arm is where I would expect it. The red panel down the side of the female rider's top confuses the view of the hidden rider.

(I made the assumption about the female rider in front as she appears to be celebrating something.)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

If you go further into the mag, there's loads of photo issues. Most are advertisements, so that's excusable perhaps.
(Note that we English speakers say "advertizments" not advertize-ments! :wink: but that's pushing the envelope of this thread.)

Look at page21 for instance, or page29 ........... but page30 is perfect though that's an article in the mag with info etc.
Page41 photo is daft, but page42 photo is even dafter even though it's brilliant article.

Need I go further with photos in Cycle? :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PS:
I've emailed Dan Joyce.

For publication on the letters pages please.
I'm very much aware of advertisements doctoring the photographs to make them "better" but a font cover of a mag about cycling?
Look at the "photo" and see how not only have the cyclists been superimposed on a backdrop of a lovely village in Cheshire? but they've ruined the picture of the lady right at the front.

Fist in the air, but she's got seemingly extra limbs and her left foot has gone, only to replaced by the person who's been obliterated by his or her's foot, and she doesn't seem to have her own left leg at all!
Very very shoddy indeed.

Received a reply almost straight away.
Dan Joyce wrote:Mick
I’m bemused by your comments. I’m not sure what’s happened to the cover of your magazine, but the ones I’ve seen are fine and the image hasn’t been doctored. The cyclists haven’t been superimposed. I can clearly see the left leg of the lead rider. There *is* another cyclist immediately behind the lead rider, and you should be able to see that rider’s shoulders, right leg, and front tyre.

If you would like a replacement copy of Cycle, please contact the membership dept.
Best wishes
Dan Joyce
Editor, Cycle magazine

How's Dan Joyce not seeing what we? see, or his he correct and I've got a rogue copy of Cycle?
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Too late in the afternoon now, but I'll get back to him tomorrow plus a link to this thread.
Mick F. Cornwall