Does anyone know? Yes they do

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Username

Does anyone know? Yes they do

Post by Username »

New Horizons cost about, well a lot.Google and Alexa says about $700 million. Dont know what that is in UK money but lets see how cheep it is to cycle to Pluto. Pluto's distance actually varies by the same distance that Uranus orbits. This itself is over a billion miles so lets ignore it. When NH flew by Pluto in 2015, Pluto was roughly 3.1 billion miles from earth.

So what is the cost of getting New Horizons to Pluto? 700 million divided by 3 point one billion is = I dont know exactly. But its about 22 cents per mile using current tech. Current tech involves hugely expensive and powerful rockets. These involve fire, flame and threats from Donald Trump. Can you imagine how cheap it would be if you just sent a bike there instead?

They already got a balloon to Saturn's largests moon, and they did that by killing less than ten polar penguins. TEN!
Tangled Metal

Re: Does anyone know? Yes they do

Post by Tangled Metal »

Of course the route there was a lot longer than the distance between pluto and earth. When you factor in slingshots and the like to get your speed up to actually make it.

But despite all that, what is your point?
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

Tangled Metal wrote:But despite all that, what is your point?

Yes, confused as to what this thread is trying to say....I assume it has a purpose?
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

chris_suffolk wrote:

Yes, confused as to what this thread is trying to say....I assume it has a purpose?

Oh, have none of us ever posted after the pub :D
Can you buy a USB brethaliser that disables PayPal over a certain reading?
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
CliveyT

Post by CliveyT »

iandriver wrote:
chris_suffolk wrote:

Oh, have none of us ever posted after the pub :D
Can you buy a USB brethaliser that disables PayPal over a certain reading?

As a part time sysadmin I was told to always make the superuser password something you can't type whilst drunk