Odd experiences while cycling

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
iandriver
Posts: 2267
Joined: 10 Jun 2009, 2:09pm
Location: Cambridge.

Odd experiences while cycling

Postby iandriver » 26 Jul 2018, 9:15pm

So, it's about 6am, I'm cycling into Brugge from Ghent along the river (path, not the actual river). I come across a quite distresses looking jogger who points into the rough at the side of the path. Lying there is an elderly gentleman, lying montionless, flat on his back, with his arms by his side's but elbows bent at 90 degrees upwards, hands in the air. By heck did it look like riggamortice had set in. I go and shove his leg. He wakes, smelling of booze, and says something in Flemish. At this point I kind of left him to the jogger who looked more releived than me that we had run into a good old fashioned drunk rather than a corpse.

So, what have you come across that you really didn't bank on. Stories that end well please :-)
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....

Outlaw13
Posts: 15
Joined: 17 Aug 2017, 5:11pm

Re: Odd experiences while cycling

Postby Outlaw13 » 26 Jul 2018, 9:35pm

More really unexpected than odd. I was cycling over the Trent on the Clifton flyover last week, about a mile up river from Trent Bridge. I saw a splash in the water that looked like a big fish so I stopped to take a look. After a few seconds it surfaced again then shot back under. Definitely a mammal rather than a fish. After a few seconds more it surfaced again and rolled onto its back as it drifted under the bridge.....
An otter...right in the heart of Nottingham. Made my week!

User avatar
661-Pete
Posts: 9746
Joined: 22 Nov 2012, 8:45pm
Location: Sussex

Re: Odd experiences while cycling

Postby 661-Pete » 26 Jul 2018, 9:52pm

iandriver wrote:So, it's about 6am, I'm cycling into Brugge from Ghent along the river (path, not the actual river). I come across a quite distresses looking jogger who points into the rough at the side of the path. Lying there is an elderly gentleman, lying montionless, flat on his back, with his arms by his side's but elbows bent at 90 degrees upwards, hands in the air. By heck did it look like riggamortice had set in. I go and shove his leg. He wakes, smelling of booze, and says something in Flemish. At this point I kind of left him to the jogger who looked more releived than me that we had run into a good old fashioned drunk rather than a corpse.
Similar thing to yours, but this takes me right back to my student days. Cycling back to my digs late one night, I pass what I at first take to be a pile of old clothes dumped in the gutter. But just as I pass it, I realise it's a young man lying prone, part on the road, part on the pavement, apparently unconscious. This scares me - is it a hit-and-run? I don't dare to investigate the 'body', there happens to be a phone box across the road (this was long before the days of mobiles of course) so I dash across and summon the blues and twos.

Ambulance duly arrives, but in the meantime another passer-by has noticed the man, but, having a bit more gumption than I, has attempted to rouse him. Then it becomes clear that he's utterly blotto and quite incoherent - but alive. I explain how I saw him lying, the ambulancemen check him over for injuries and offer to transport him home (which was very generous of them).

Just as the ambulance is driving off, the police turn up and I have to explain to them all over again. They're not terribly impressed but at least they don't castigate me for raising a false alarm. After all, it might have been a hit-and-run victim...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

Tangled Metal
Posts: 6456
Joined: 13 Feb 2015, 8:32pm

Re: Odd experiences while cycling

Postby Tangled Metal » 26 Jul 2018, 9:58pm

One story springs to mind, not quite in your line but it was a late night journey home.

After a very, very, very long day where the choice was work until finished or lose your weekend. So some time after 1am I was riding home with an emergency light that I couldn't really see my way clearly. I was very tired after too many long days and that last long day without much food so I was quite ready to see anything.

I hit the start of my little town's street lighting just at the right time that a tiny, tiny bat flew just under the light chasing flies. Can you guess what I saw?

Yes the shadow of a bat that was 3m across at least! I was doing about 15 to 20mph I think and the shadow came from behind to overtake me in a horror movie style!

iandriver
Posts: 2267
Joined: 10 Jun 2009, 2:09pm
Location: Cambridge.

Re: Odd experiences while cycling

Postby iandriver » 26 Jul 2018, 10:28pm

Drunks and animals. I see a theme. :D

The bat one is brilliant. (Enjoying the others too)
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....

User avatar
bovlomov
Posts: 4202
Joined: 5 Apr 2007, 7:45am
Contact:

Re: Odd experiences while cycling

Postby bovlomov » 26 Jul 2018, 11:20pm

I was cycling through High Wycombe on the A40 bypass section, when a minibus stopped a short distance ahead of me. The side door opened and one man fell out, pursued by two others. These two proceeded to bash the living daylights out of the first, swearing at him all the while. The first didn't seem the least bit bothered by these attacks, returning as many insults - but no punches I think. I stopped the bike and asked what was going on. The first dusted himself down and wandered off across the road, hurling insults as he went. I gathered from the others that they had picked him up along the way and he had said something to one of their girlfriends - who were waiting patiently in the bus.

The two got back into the minibus and off it went. I was left feeling rather more shaken than any of the protagonists seemed to be. For all three the fight seemed to be a matter of routine. The first looked as though he was used to being beaten up and the others seemed comfortable using their fists.

A few minutes later I stopped at a petrol station to pick up some water, and found myself in the queue with someone in a Santa outfit. In midsummer.

Tangled Metal
Posts: 6456
Joined: 13 Feb 2015, 8:32pm

Re: Odd experiences while cycling

Postby Tangled Metal » 27 Jul 2018, 12:48am

iandriver wrote:The bat one is brilliant. (Enjoying the others too)

Wasn't at the time. Raised my pulse a bit I can tell you. Think the modern batman imagery, all dark and moody. Then a huge bat shadow flies very quickly from behind you. Very funny thinking about it now though.

Flinders
Posts: 3018
Joined: 10 Mar 2009, 6:47pm

Re: Odd experiences while cycling

Postby Flinders » 27 Jul 2018, 8:43am

Tangled Metal wrote:
iandriver wrote:The bat one is brilliant. (Enjoying the others too)

Wasn't at the time. Raised my pulse a bit I can tell you. Think the modern batman imagery, all dark and moody. Then a huge bat shadow flies very quickly from behind you. Very funny thinking about it now though.

I love the bat one. I'd like to use it to illustrate shadow effects next time I'm teaching about shadows if I may.... :mrgreen: Amusing stories keep 'em awake. :wink:

Tangled Metal
Posts: 6456
Joined: 13 Feb 2015, 8:32pm

Re: Odd experiences while cycling

Postby Tangled Metal » 27 Jul 2018, 9:01am

Flinders wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:
iandriver wrote:The bat one is brilliant. (Enjoying the others too)

Wasn't at the time. Raised my pulse a bit I can tell you. Think the modern batman imagery, all dark and moody. Then a huge bat shadow flies very quickly from behind you. Very funny thinking about it now though.

I love the bat one. I'd like to use it to illustrate shadow effects next time I'm teaching about shadows if I may.... :mrgreen: Amusing stories keep 'em awake. :wink:

Be my guest. Always good to learn by humour. I was chuckling as I typed the story.

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 14975
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: Odd experiences while cycling

Postby mjr » 27 Jul 2018, 11:45am

661-Pete wrote:Cycling back to my digs late one night, I pass what I at first take to be a pile of old clothes dumped in the gutter.

Which reminds me of cycling somewhere west of Utrecht and what I thought was a plastic bag next to the cycleway suddenly flapped its rather large wings and flew away... revealing itself to be a heron.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

User avatar
661-Pete
Posts: 9746
Joined: 22 Nov 2012, 8:45pm
Location: Sussex

Re: Odd experiences while cycling

Postby 661-Pete » 27 Jul 2018, 12:27pm

Coming home from work late one evening, I was cycling along a twitten* between houses (legally - no NO CYCLING signs there) and approached what I at first took to be an oddly-shaped dog crouched on the tarmac, facing away from me. As I came closer it looked around at me, then scuttled off.

A badger.

What surprised me was that this was in a fully built-up area, not close to any open countryside or woodland. I thought badgers are more lovers of the Great Outdoors.

Or perhaps not. I've heard that some houses nowadays are entertained by badgers in their back gardens. Perhaps it's the only place they can enjoy peace and quiet, un-persecuted by farmers and the like...

*aka "snicket", "ginnel", "alley", etc. etc. according to region
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

User avatar
Cunobelin
Posts: 10120
Joined: 6 Feb 2007, 7:22pm

Re: Odd experiences while cycling

Postby Cunobelin » 27 Jul 2018, 12:44pm

661-Pete wrote:Coming home from work late one evening, I was cycling along a twitten* between houses (legally - no NO CYCLING signs there) and approached what I at first took to be an oddly-shaped dog crouched on the tarmac, facing away from me. As I came closer it looked around at me, then scuttled off.

A badger.

What surprised me was that this was in a fully built-up area, not close to any open countryside or woodland. I thought badgers are more lovers of the Great Outdoors.

Or perhaps not. I've heard that some houses nowadays are entertained by badgers in their back gardens. Perhaps it's the only place they can enjoy peace and quiet, un-persecuted by farmers and the like...

*aka "snicket", "ginnel", "alley", etc. etc. according to region


Some years ago I used to have to go into work for 06:30 to do the Radiopharmacy session

I used to cycle down the cycle path on the old railway track into Gosport

On one corner, there was an old Brock who just used to sit there and watch the world pass HIS territory in a very aloof way
Last edited by Cunobelin on 27 Jul 2018, 12:46pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Cunobelin
Posts: 10120
Joined: 6 Feb 2007, 7:22pm

Re: Odd experiences while cycling

Postby Cunobelin » 27 Jul 2018, 12:45pm

661-Pete wrote:Coming home from work late one evening, I was cycling along a twitten* between houses (legally - no NO CYCLING signs there) and approached what I at first took to be an oddly-shaped dog crouched on the tarmac, facing away from me. As I came closer it looked around at me, then scuttled off.

A badger.

What surprised me was that this was in a fully built-up area, not close to any open countryside or woodland. I thought badgers are more lovers of the Great Outdoors.

Or perhaps not. I've heard that some houses nowadays are entertained by badgers in their back gardens. Perhaps it's the only place they can enjoy peace and quiet, un-persecuted by farmers and the like...

*aka "snicket", "ginnel", "alley", etc. etc. according to region



Mistaking a badger for a dog.... bet you felt a right twitten....

Flinders
Posts: 3018
Joined: 10 Mar 2009, 6:47pm

Re: Odd experiences while cycling

Postby Flinders » 27 Jul 2018, 12:49pm

Thanks, TangledMetal.
I chap in our village was cycling one night and had a badger run out under his front wheel. Not a cheery story, in his case it did the cyclist a lot of damage. Those badgers are pretty big.

thirdcrank
Posts: 28687
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 2:44pm

Re: Odd experiences while cycling

Postby thirdcrank » 27 Jul 2018, 1:15pm

I was once riding on the original Gildersome roundabout when there was a lot of horn blowing behind me: ie a lot, even by the standards of somewhere where there was a lot of it. I was overtaken by a woman in a small car who was cut up and stopped by a large 4x4 which appeared to force her onto the verge. She got on her phone, and two very large men in long overcoats got out of the 4x4 and swaggered back towards her. It really looked like something out of a 1970's TV programme: menacing. I was on my way shopping in broad daylight btw, and there was a long queue on the other side of the road towards the roundabout, with everybody watching the action from the safety of their cars. I decided to intervene which surprised then amused all three of them. They were driving together to the nearby travellers' site and the woman had missed the turning on the roundabout they had stopped her to tell her. :oops: