Odd experiences while cycling

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2
Posts: 37780
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Odd experiences while cycling

Postby reohn2 » 4 Aug 2018, 9:29am

Cyril Haearn wrote:Pressing the button at the lights is not provocative, I am helping to keep speeds down, enforce the law, reduce danger, increase chances for others to walk across. Glad to stop when cycling too

When in reality you're causing unnecessary traffic jams in turn causing more pollution due to standing traffic,irritating people who are forced to stop for no reason other than you unreasonable desire to press(other people's) buttons.
It's a plain silly tactic,in the same way claiming that someone who unintentionally cause someone else a slight fright by announcing their impending arrival from behind would cause all and sundry impending doom and heart attack.

Story alert.
I went for a walk in the countryside with someone with anxiety and depression as part of their recovery,to get them in the fresh air and in nature.
Whilst walking on a path we were passed closely from behind by some idiot on an MTB,he uttered not a word of warning.
Which do you prefer,some kind,any kind of warning(bell,whistle,tuba,clarinet perhaps,maybe a nice "hello coming past") of another's presence. Or no warning?
I know which the person I was with would've preferred,as it was me she clung onto in the event.
PS,she didn't die despite her advancing years.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 12299
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am
Location: Between the woods and the water

Re: Odd experiences while cycling

Postby Cyril Haearn » 4 Aug 2018, 9:45am

reohn2 wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Pressing the button at the lights is not provocative, I am helping to keep speeds down, enforce the law, reduce danger, increase chances for others to walk across. Glad to stop when cycling too

When in reality you're causing unnecessary traffic jams causing more pollution due to standing traffic,irritating people who are forced to stop for no reason other than you unreasonable desire to press(other people's) buttons.
It's a plain silly tactic,in the same way claiming that someone who unintentionally cause someone to a slight fright by announcing their impending arrival from behind would cause anyone impending doom.

Thinking of a couple of places where I press the button, one is on a through road where many go too fast, I prevent traffic crime
Another is in town where PoFs are always crossing, I help people save time and hold up motons
What do you do to fight traffic crime?

John w described enjoying frightening people
Anyone could be seriously affected by a sudden loud noise as described above, it could cause a heart attack or spontaneous violence
I wish a policeperson had been present to put the fear of God into him

Gleefully frightening vulnerable people while cycling is rather like frightening cyclists when driving
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son..
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on 49" fixed
We love safety cameras, we love life "1330"

reohn2
Posts: 37780
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Odd experiences while cycling

Postby reohn2 » 4 Aug 2018, 9:50am

Cyril Haearn
Well have to agree to differ.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 12299
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am
Location: Between the woods and the water

Re: Odd experiences while cycling

Postby Cyril Haearn » 4 Aug 2018, 10:22am

I am sure the Silent Majority agrees with me :D
The button on the edge of town is very good, there is a safety camera a bit further
If drivers are frustrated at having to stop after I press the button they may go too fast and be caught by the camera and lose their licences
..
In the case described where a mountain bike did not warn of his approach.. I prefer it when cyclists obey the law which neither he nor John w did

Plenty of times a sudden loud noise will have no lasting effects but one never knows

Cyclists who gleefully frighten others into panic as described by John w deserve a good talking-to,their mindset could be likened to that of motorists who bully cyclists
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son..
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on 49" fixed
We love safety cameras, we love life "1330"

mark a.
Posts: 1358
Joined: 8 Jan 2007, 2:47pm
Location: Surrey

Re: Odd experiences while cycling

Postby mark a. » 4 Aug 2018, 10:42am

Cyril Haearn wrote:I am sure the Silent Majority agrees with me :D


No we don't.

reohn2
Posts: 37780
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Odd experiences while cycling

Postby reohn2 » 4 Aug 2018, 10:54am

Cyril Haearn wrote:I am sure the Silent Majority agrees with me :D

I think you'll find they don't.

In the case described where a mountain bike did not warn of his approach.. I prefer it when cyclists obey the law which neither he nor John w did

I think you'll find JohnW did comply with the law,as a cyclist he gave an audible warning of his approach.

Plenty of times a sudden loud noise will have no lasting effects but one never knows

Then does it follow that we must do everything in silence including passing people from behind on cyclepaths?
I think you'll agree it doesn't.
The difference in John's case is the recipients response,which in this case was a bit OTT due,we can only assume to the possibility of smoking pot,but it needn't be so.
I've witnessed the some comical responses to ringing my bell or announcing my approach ranging from what looked by all accounts like abject panic to completely no reaction,the latter due to possible induced,selective or medical deafness.
The former can be mildy funny to witness on occasion ,which IMO is what JohnW describes.The latter 99.9% is an earbud catatonic walking state or selective deafness for whatever reason.
Story alert on selective deafness:-
I once approached five blokes,rucksack,boots.rambler types,from behind on a bridleway,I rang my bell,no response,shouted to them "cyclist,can I squeeze past please",still no response,as got along side the trailing member of the group he said to me "we could all be deaf" my answer was "are you" he said no my response was "no,just arrogant" as made my way throught them.
The medically stone deaf people have other senses to pick up on and are less surprised by a sudden appearance from behind,but for a no recognition state my approach is caution and as wide a berth as possible are best .

Cyclists who gleefully frighten others into panic as described by John w deserve a good talking-to,their mindset could be likened to that of motorists who bully cyclists

But he didn't "gleefully frighten others" he warned of his approach audibly,the reaction was comical but no way intentional,you seem to live in a sterile world according to Cyril Haearn which frankly IMO is more than a little OTT
Last edited by reohn2 on 4 Aug 2018, 11:04am, edited 2 times in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 12299
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am
Location: Between the woods and the water

Re: Odd experiences while cycling

Postby Cyril Haearn » 4 Aug 2018, 10:59am

John w wrote:

The echo was very satisfying.. You never saw such panic

Apparently he enjoyed frightening people
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son..
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on 49" fixed
We love safety cameras, we love life "1330"

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 12299
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am
Location: Between the woods and the water

Re: Odd experiences while cycling

Postby Cyril Haearn » 4 Aug 2018, 11:00am

mark a. wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:I am sure the Silent Majority agrees with me :D


No we don't.

The Silent Majority is by definition silent

I rest my case and commend it to the house

Irony alert! :wink:
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son..
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on 49" fixed
We love safety cameras, we love life "1330"

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 12299
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am
Location: Between the woods and the water

Re: Odd experiences while cycling

Postby Cyril Haearn » 4 Aug 2018, 11:04am

R2: no of course not, we should not do everything in silence, I did not suggest that, one should use the bell in a polite way, not very loud as described by John w, I imagine he was committing an offence

Hope the weather will get better soon, then we can use energy for cycling instead of arguing :wink:
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son..
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on 49" fixed
We love safety cameras, we love life "1330"

reohn2
Posts: 37780
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Odd experiences while cycling

Postby reohn2 » 4 Aug 2018, 11:05am

Cyril Haearn wrote:John w wrote:

The echo was very satisfying.. You never saw such panic

Apparently he enjoyed frightening people

Of which he himself denies.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

reohn2
Posts: 37780
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Odd experiences while cycling

Postby reohn2 » 4 Aug 2018, 11:06am

Cyril Haearn wrote:
mark a. wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:I am sure the Silent Majority agrees with me :D


No we don't.

The Silent Majority is by definition silent

I rest my case and commend it to the house

Irony alert! :wink:


I see you don't belong to that majority :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 12299
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am
Location: Between the woods and the water

Re: Odd experiences while cycling

Postby Cyril Haearn » 4 Aug 2018, 11:10am

reohn2 wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:John w wrote:

The echo was very satisfying.. You never saw such panic

Apparently he enjoyed frightening people

Of which he himself denies.

He described how he chose to cause panic
Seems to me his original text described very bad impolite boorish behaviour

Cycling is a broad church, +1, but this is the sort of thing up with which we should not put
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son..
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on 49" fixed
We love safety cameras, we love life "1330"

reohn2
Posts: 37780
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Odd experiences while cycling

Postby reohn2 » 4 Aug 2018, 11:21am

reohn2 wrote:Cyril Haearn
Well have to agree to differ.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Ben@Forest
Posts: 2142
Joined: 28 Jan 2013, 5:58pm

Re: Odd experiences while cycling

Postby Ben@Forest » 4 Aug 2018, 12:16pm

Cyril Haearn wrote:He described how he chose to cause panic. Seems to me his original text described very bad impolite boorish behaviour

Cycling is a broad church, +1, but this is the sort of thing up with which we should not put


I agree with you Bryn. Some years ago l was head down cycling at 20 -22 mph when a motorbike came past me not especially quick but seriously close, a handswidth from my handlebars to his. It made me sit up but no more than that.

The bike then moved very deliberately back to the middle of the lane so l don't think the rider had accidently strayed too close, he had purposely done it. And l can imagine such a rider posting on a motorcycle forum - l really scared this cyclist by.... you should have seen him jump etc....

And what if the OP had scared a horse - would that be as funny? And just to pre-empt any comment - I am a motorcyclist of over 30 years experience so have no axe to grind.

reohn2
Posts: 37780
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Odd experiences while cycling

Postby reohn2 » 4 Aug 2018, 12:22pm

Ben@Forest wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:He described how he chose to cause panic. Seems to me his original text described very bad impolite boorish behaviour

Cycling is a broad church, +1, but this is the sort of thing up with which we should not put


I agree with you Bryn. Some years ago l was head down cycling at 20 -22 mph when a motorbike came past me not especially quick but seriously close, a handswidth from my handlebars to his. It made me sit up but no more than that.

The bike then moved very deliberately back to the middle of the lane so l don't think the rider had accidently strayed too close, he had purposely done it. And l can imagine such a rider posting on a motorcycle forum - l really scared this cyclist by.... you should have seen him jump etc....

And what if the OP had scared a horse - would that be as funny? And just to pre-empt any comment - I am a motorcyclist of over 30 years experience so have no axe to grind.

Except JohnW is one of,if not the,most benign,mannerly and friendly charachters I've come across in the ten years I've been posting on the forum.
So I have more than a feeling his encounter with these people was equally as benign in his attitude toward them.
YVMV of course however mine won't :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.