Odd experiences while cycling

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: Odd experiences while cycling

Post by reohn2 »

reohn2 wrote:Cyril Haearn
We'll have to agree to differ.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

reohn2 wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Cyril Haearn
We'll have to agree to differ.

I do find it strange that r2 interprets John's text so differently
Perhaps John will be back from his ride soon to write his 2d worth :wink:

Plus One for diversity of opinions
In theory :?

Besides, what if it had been a horse?
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 4 Aug 2018, 12:39pm, edited 2 times in total.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

So that's that then :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Any chance of changing the subject?

Over some 60 years of cycling, I reckon I have the odd anecdote to come up with - which might be of some amusement.

Like the time I saw a young bullock galloping down the field towards the hedge separating it from the road (along which I was approaching). It made no attempt to slow down or swerve as it approached this hedge: instead it prepared itself for a leap which any show-jumper at Hickstead could have only envied, cleared the hedge neatly, and executed a perfect landing in the roadway just in front of me. Not content with that, it then proceeded to repeat the performance, neatly topping the hedge on the other side to get into the field beyond it.

Needless to say, my trousers were at serious risk of turning a deep shade of brown throughout this performance. But I needn't have worried...

Why?, I've wondered ever since. Why so frisky? Possibly, unlike most bullocks as I understand things, it hadn't had the 'snip' - or if it had, it hadn't quite done the job....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Look what I found today.
Very strange. Goodness knows why someone has collected them all.
Just here:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.55820 ... 312!8i6656

IMG_0539.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Telephone boxes!

On sees them quite often in Germany converted to free book swap stations, with shelves, one may take and deposit books as one wishes
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

I imagine those newer 'phone boxes are a bit cheaper than the classic red version, which I understand can go for £1,000 a pop if they're in good condition. I recently saw a red 'phone box marked as a library (or was it a book swap?) while driving through a crofting village on the way to show my passengers the village bus stop, which has been used as a greenhouse for the last few years.

Hmm, maybe this should be in the positive thread.
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

661-Pete wrote:Any chance of changing the subject?

Over some 60 years of cycling, I reckon I have the odd anecdote to come up with - which might be of some amusement.

Like the time I saw a young bullock galloping down the field towards the hedge separating it from the road (along which I was approaching). It made no attempt to slow down or swerve as it approached this hedge: instead it prepared itself for a leap which any show-jumper at Hickstead could have only envied, cleared the hedge neatly, and executed a perfect landing in the roadway just in front of me. Not content with that, it then proceeded to repeat the performance, neatly topping the hedge on the other side to get into the field beyond it.

Needless to say, my trousers were at serious risk of turning a deep shade of brown throughout this performance. But I needn't have worried...

Why?, I've wondered ever since. Why so frisky? Possibly, unlike most bullocks as I understand things, it hadn't had the 'snip' - or if it had, it hadn't quite done the job....

Reminds me of the time I watched a six-month-ish heifer canter along the edge of her field, following a van that was driving along the adjacent road. She neatly sailed over a fence that split the field in two, and carried on as if nothing had happened. Fortunately she stopped by the next fence, which was the same height but marked the boundary with someone else's land. In that case I put it down to youthful high spirits.

As I recall the heifer had spent time in both 'halves' of the field, which was recently divided, so probably saw the whole thing as "home."
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Mick F wrote:Look what I found today.
Just here:

IMG_0539.jpg

I'm guessing they'll be laid on their side and labelled as eco camping pods next summer. Given the size of my touring tent, I'm wondering if that's a stupid suggestion or not now.......
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Mick F wrote:Look what I found today.
Just here:

IMG_0539.jpg

Party lines?
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:lol: :lol:
One of them has a sign on it that I thought was quite ironic.
IMG_0539.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

"Coins Not Accepted Here" - is it ridiculous? I was in a pub on the northern edge of Portsmouth a short while ago, and I ordered my drink - when it came I was told that I couldn't pay with money/cash - they only accepted card payments. I had to pay by card - plastic money for plastic people. I thought that the barmaid was joking at first, but she was incapable of seeing any comedy in the situation.

It was the first time that I'd been in to the place - and the last. The barmaid was very attractive, but as I saw her that perfection could only be plastic also.

I hadn't gone there on my bike, so this doesn't really fit in with the thread. Looking around me at the décor and sparse collection of customers, the word 'pretentious' replaced 'plastic' in my mind - but certainly 'odd'.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

I was riding down a deserted lane in Mallorca a few years ago. Reckoned I was going at a fair old pace. Low stone wall either side of me. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a big hawk type bird lift up from a field. It flew over towards me turned and stationed itself close to my right shoulder. We both "flew" along together for quite some time. The bird just keeping station, never looking at me. Eventually it must have spotted something more interesting and veered off into the fields again. Weird and wonderful experience.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

JohnW wrote:"Coins Not Accepted Here" - is it ridiculous? I was in a pub on the northern edge of Portsmouth a short while ago, and I ordered my drink - when it came I was told that I couldn't pay with money/cash - they only accepted card payments. I had to pay by card - plastic money for plastic people. I thought that the barmaid was joking at first, but she was incapable of seeing any comedy in the situation.

It was the first time that I'd been in to the place - and the last. The barmaid was very attractive, but as I saw her that perfection could only be plastic also.

I hadn't gone there on my bike, so this doesn't really fit in with the thread. Looking around me at the décor and sparse collection of customers, the word 'pretentious' replaced 'plastic' in my mind - but certainly 'odd'.

Most pubs I go in, one has to spend over a certain amount before they will accept a card.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

bigjim wrote:
JohnW wrote:"Coins Not Accepted Here" - is it ridiculous? I was in a pub on the northern edge of Portsmouth a short while ago, and I ordered my drink - when it came I was told that I couldn't pay with money/cash - they only accepted card payments. I had to pay by card - plastic money for plastic people. I thought that the barmaid was joking at first, but she was incapable of seeing any comedy in the situation.

Most pubs I go in, one has to spend over a certain amount before they will accept a card.

Yes - that's my experience - I've never previously paid for drink by card, except when having a meal and the beer etc. just comes onto the tab.