Old Maps on a TomTom

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Old Maps on a TomTom

Post by Mick F »

Have a read at my thread:
https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/map-p ... ost1229537

Roads change all the time, and there's been many of them in the last 50years.
Mick F. Cornwall
661-Pete

Re: Old Maps on a TomTom

Post by 661-Pete »

For a moment I thought this was about downloading historic maps onto the satnav - but it seems it's just a software bug. How disappointing! Never mind, you can view plenty of historic maps online here.

Possibly it depends on what you use the tomtom for, but I find that when cycling, old(ish) paper maps often serve quite well - just so long as I keep to minor country lanes, which don't change much over the decades. Where you might come unstuck is on entering a large town, what with its motorways, by-passes, pedestrian areas, etc. etc.

This is part of one of the oldest maps I possess, dating from the 1940s or thereabouts. For several reasons I wouldn't risk using this on a ride (the paper's a bit fragile anyway)! Those who know the area will observe that Crawley has shrunk to a mere hamlet, and a certain major international airport is missing altogether! Good luck to anyone who wants to attempt a tour of Surrey/Sussex based on this map..... :twisted: :lol:
Old Horley Map001.jpg
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I have a ‘game’ when touring

One of my references is always Muirheads Blue Guides (1926 version) and it is fun trying to navigate along the old routes and seeing what is still there
It is a real shame that someone like OS doesn’t add historic maps to their apps
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

I thought you were a Garmin man Mick F?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yep.
Garmin. Edge 205 first, then an Edge 705, and now a Montana and an Edge 20.
We've used the Montana in the car as a automotive satnav device.

We had a Fiat 500 up to a year ago. The car had a port on the top of the dash that you could plug in a TomTom Blue+Me Live. It connects via bluetooth to the car and to your phone. The display could show you your fuel consumption and economy etc plus you could operate your mobile phone through it or through the car steering wheel controls .......... plus it was all voice operated and the car would speak back.

When we sold the 500, I wanted to sell the whole TomTom kit and offered it on the Fiat Owners Club website for £100. No-one seemed to want it at a reasonable price. No doubt if I dropped the price to £50, it may go, but the unit is actually quite good and useful to us even though we can't use all the facilities with it in our Toyota.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

It's 585 months old now. :lol:

585 months.jpeg
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

You just explained why I always navigate in the car with Google Maps which has the additional benefit of showing current traffic problems and constantly updates you showing the current fastest route. On the bike I like Osmand+ which doesnt need a phone signal.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......