Who agrees with Boris?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
bovlomov

Re: Who agrees with Boris?

Post by bovlomov »

reohn2 wrote:Sorry Bov' it's all my fault.

An ad hominem attack on Johnson or Gove needs no elaboration. Don't let it happen again!
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

reohn2 wrote:......................PS,I agree with your every word on the creep :wink:

The creep crept into the crypt and er....er....er.... on all of us! :lol: :lol: :lol:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

bovlomov wrote:

An ad hominem attack on Johnson or Gove needs no elaboration. Don't let it happen again!

I'll try but I can't promise anything....
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

JohnW wrote:
reohn2 wrote:......................PS,I agree with your every word on the creep :wink:

The creep crept into the crypt and er....er....er.... on all of us! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not so much crept,more like drove a bulldozer :wink:
W H Auden
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

reohn2 wrote:
bovlomov wrote:

Actually, on closer inspection, random37's post might not have been ad hominem. The 'rubbish' could be a quality of Johnson's actions as an MP rather than the essence of his character. Really, it could easily be either or both, for one is a function of the other. Johnson's contributions are rubbish because he is rubbish, and vice versa. As Cicero said, it's a chicken and egg problem. Or was that Isaiah Berlin?
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

bovlomov wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
bovlomov wrote:An ad hominem attack on Johnson or Gove needs no elaboration. Don't let it happen again!

Actually, on closer inspection, random37's post might not have been ad hominem. The 'rubbish' could be a quality of Johnson's actions as an MP rather than the essence of his character. Really, it could easily be either or both, for one is a function of the other. Johnson's contributions are rubbish because he is rubbish, and vice versa. As Cicero said, it's a chicken and egg problem. Or was that Isaiah Berlin?

Be careful - he's heading for No.10!
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

reohn2 wrote:
JohnW wrote:

Not so much crept,more like drove a bulldozer :wink:

Or a JCB - and what's he got in the bucket?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

JohnW wrote:Or a JCB - and what's he got in the bucket?

Well he certainly likes digging in muck :?
W H Auden
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Cyril Haearn wrote:BoJo is rich and influential
Many people voted for him

I often wonder about the Many people voted for him”. My parents always vote Conservative yet it would be difficult to find any issues where they agree with their Conservative MP. They vote Conservative and not for the individual standing in the safe seat. If there were two Conservative Party candidates standing then very unlikely the current person would get their vote.

i th8nk that in some consituencies it is the party that gets the Vote rathe than the individual standing. Difficult to determine if it is Botis attracting peoples’ vote or the Conservative Party or historical allegance.

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Wouldn't it be nice if we didn't have a system of party politics.
Why not have candidates who have no allegiances to a party?

Party politics ruin everything.
Mick F. Cornwall
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Mick F wrote:Wouldn't it be nice if we didn't have a system of party politics.

Full PR then?
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Mick F wrote:..........Why not have candidates who have no allegiances to a party?...................

Like Boris, you mean?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PDQ Mobile wrote:

Full PR then?
Yep.
Sounds good to me.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Psamathe wrote: ... I often wonder about the Many people voted for him”. My parents always vote Conservative yet it would be difficult to find any issues where they agree with their Conservative MP. They vote Conservative and not for the individual standing in the safe seat. If there were two Conservative Party candidates standing then very unlikely the current person would get their vote.

i th8nk that in some consituencies it is the party that gets the Vote rathe than the individual standing. Difficult to determine if it is Botis attracting peoples’ vote or the Conservative Party or historical allegiance.

A safe seat is, by definition, safe or it is most of the time. On that basis, just about any candidate selected by the party which has traditionally held the seat will be returned but there's much more to it than that. Understandably, safe seats are coveted and being selected is the hard part. This is where Johnson prospers because he has the flair for appealing to the type of safe Tory on the selection committees of safe Tory seats. He's also good at wowing people at constituency events, telling them what they want to hear in a patrician tone. He also seems to have the cunning to avoid an open clash between constituency and national issues. eg He's been outspoken in his opposition to expansion at Heathrow, but when the Cabinet reached the opposite decision he conveniently managed to be absent, rather than getting into a position where he had to support Cabinet policy or resign his post as Foregn Secretary.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Mick F wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:

Full PR then?
Yep.
Sounds good to me.

Like the elections for Brussels then!!

I am all in favour of PR.
IMV it would help our domestic policy making a great deal