Do you worry about the future?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Do you worry about the future?

Post by Mick F »

I'm in my mid 60s and although I intend to live forever, I have this sneaking suspicion that I'll be 6ft under in or 30 or 40 years time.

What for the future after that?
Do I care what happens after I'm dead and gone?
Mick F. Cornwall
PDQ Mobile

Re: Do you worry about the future?

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Mick F wrote:Do I care what happens after I'm dead and gone?

And the answer is??

For it's quite hard to say from here!
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I am on a weird position

Tomorrow I can retire from the NHS at 60

I am off work recovering from a hip relacement, so My role has been filled by my (very capable) deputies

Thing is they haven’t had the decency to have a single crisis in the last 6 weeks, no calls for advice , or help.... which in some ways is brilliant as it shows that we have the succession planning right

However ... going back will be difficult as the department’s dynamics will have changed totally, so would it be a good time to go?

On the other hand , I am bored, and really want to go back to the challenges, enjoyment, and fun of my job

But then again, in 6 years I get my full pension... will I feel the same then?
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Mick F wrote:I'm in my mid 60s and although I intend to live forever, I have this sneaking suspicion that I'll be 6ft under in or 30 or 40 years time.

What for the future after that?
Do I care what happens after I'm dead and gone?

A week later, someone will post “ Where is Mick F?”

Someone will answer that you have “crossed the bar” ... and you will become a permanent and eternal electronic record on this site

That is posterity for you
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

"Après moi, le déluge!", eh? Thank goodness not everyone, whatever their seniority, thinks that way. Some of us care a lot about the future. Including the future after we're dead.

Donald Trump doesn't, but then he's not a responsible human being. If everyone adopted his line of thinking, we might as well all be wiped out by the nuclear holocaust tomorrow. Or even more effective, a virulent pandemic on the lines of that released in the (fictional) Survivors TV series of the 1970s....

Mick F, perhaps you might want to have a re-think? After you've sobered up?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Cunobelin wrote:I am on a weird position

I am off work recovering from a hip relacement, so My role has been filled by my (very capable) deputies

Thing is they haven’t had the decency to have a single crisis in the last 6 weeks, no calls for advice , or help.... which in some ways is brilliant as it shows that we have the succession planning right

However ... going back will be difficult as the department’s dynamics will have changed totally, so would it be a good time to go?

On the other hand , I am bored, and really want to go back to the challenges, enjoyment, and fun of my job

Make no assumptions about your future health. Cycling here,there and everywhere, I was diagnosed with angina aged 59. Seize the day.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

We have had a good life, jobs we enjoyed, a nice family, travelled all over the world to everywhere that interested us and up til now good health. Its health thats the biggest worry.

18 weeks ago my Mrs suffered a third osteopathic spinal fracture that left her immobile. She can now painfully walk only short distances but do nothing practical at all. Suddenly we have had an unexpected life changing situation. I am now suddenly a full time carer. It has been a massive shock to us both. We have had fantastic support from the NHS occupational therapist but the GPs have been a huge disappointment. The only way we could find out what had happened was to go private. Currently we are trying to get a Blue Badge even though going anywhere in a car is painful for her.
I have a totally deaf grandson with CHARGE syndrome still fed through a stomach tube at age 8, long term I worry for him.

As for other worries, compared with my early life I think that modern life is rubbish. Whilst we are richer, healthier and we can travel further I think we have lost so much and I cant see how things will get better. There is a constant hum of people who think like me trying to escape to something simpler. I fear for the destiny of the human race in the not too distant future.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

thirdcrank wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:I am on a weird position

Make no assumptions about your future health. Cycling here,there and everywhere, I was diagnosed with angina aged 59. Seize the day.

I commuted to work every day until about 2 years ago, it became too painful to do so. Since then I have commuted by car and the bikes/ trikes have been for the weekend.

My wife is the same... ten years ago we cycled the Great Glen on Thorn Ravens, but now wish relies on a wheelchair for anything after a few yards.

My honest opinion at the moment from my mental health point of view is that work is keeping me more active, grounded and challenged so it is still positive.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

What's there to worry about?

Humans are transitory, life itself is transitory.
In the long term there is no future.

Short term we're headed for a future of 'stupid', we've already seen how easily the sheep are steered. Throw in the trend towards nationalism and the closing of borders and it'll make any future issues with regards diminishing resources, particularly oil and gas difficult to resolve peacefully.

Also look at the history and reasons of other failed civilisations and its pretty much a cert that we're on the same path and ours is a civilisation heavily dependent on technology and infrastructure to produce its food and move it around so if it starts to teeter then it'll collapse with a hell of a bang!

There's a perfect storm coming, we've been warned about it for the best part of 50 years, now most of those who warned think it too late and even now the politicians and public wont attempt anything until the wheels are going over the cliff.
Whippet

Post by Whippet »

I’m pessimistic about the future, but can’t see the point in worrying about something I have extremely limited ability to change.
softlips

Post by softlips »

Being dead is like being stupid. It only impacts other people - you know nothing about it.

There is no point in worrying about anything you can’t change. By all means plan for the future, but accept there will be hiccups you didn’t foresee along the way. Learn from mistakes but don’t waste time on regret. Life is too short.

I’m 52 this year and more and more I’m operating on patients younger than myself, ages you realise how time is passing.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

661-Pete wrote:Mick F, perhaps you might want to have a re-think? After you've sobered up?
Sober.
Completely sober.
My thoughts are sober too.
What does it matter if you are no longer here and dead an gone?
kwackers wrote:What's there to worry about?
Humans are transitory, life itself is transitory.
In the long term there is no future.
Exactly.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Mick F wrote: ... What does it matter if you are no longer here and dead an gone? ....

It won't matter to you then but there is a case for being concerned about the future while you are still alive.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, I agree about whist you are alive, but do you actually care about a hundred years hence?
Nice to think that your children, grandchildren and greatgrandchildren would be ok, but after you have gone, you have no control and no influence, and they would do as they please, and not as you would want.

'twas ever thus.
Mick F. Cornwall
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Mick F wrote:Yes, I agree about whist you are alive, but do you actually care about a hundred years hence?
Nice to think that your children, grandchildren and greatgrandchildren would be ok, but after you have gone, you have no control and no influence, and they would do as they please, and not as you would want.

'twas ever thus.

Personally I would like to think that some of the extraordinary wonder of the planet remains for them.
For IMHO life would be much poorer without it.

Also by the same token trying to preserve a diversity of species, for within such a diverse gene pool there may lie undiscovered benefits.