Cyclists injured in Westminster attack

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cunobelin

Cyclists injured in Westminster attack

Post by Cunobelin »

Looks like a group of cyclists waiting at lights were deliberately injured ana noter vehicle attack at Westminster.

AT present the news is that injuries are "minor" but the story is still developing

BBC link

Rockymountain

Re: Cyclists injured in Westminster attack

Post by Rockymountain »

This is sad.......I do hope the injured are OK and recover quickly.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

The driver seemed bent on getting into the Palace of Westminster rather than creating havoc outside it, which certainly minimised injuries, by the look of it.

Stupid would-be terrorist thought he could crash through an armoured barrier, I note...
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

I'm glad I don't live in London, but I suppose it could happen in any major city these days. Hope for a quick recovery to all that were hurt.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Expect even a terrorist will be treated leniently if he took out some of those infuriating cyclists....
Debs

Post by Debs »

After seeing the footage on BBC news:
A British nation is shocked to see cyclists waiting at a red traffic light! :D
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

yakdiver wrote:I'm glad I don't live in London, but I suppose it could happen in any major city these days. Hope for a quick recovery to all that were hurt.

I'm glad I don't live in London but not for the same reason. You're on the money though 'nutters' like this can strike anywhere :(
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I don't live in London but I don't have a problem visiting the city (some years since I did it by bike though). Remember that terrorist attacks like (allegedly) this one are incredibly rare. If this was a terrorist attack, and not simply the actions of a deranged loner....

Far more cyclists are killed or injured due to - well I don't need to spell it out..... :evil:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

A deranged loner can be a terrorist...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

All right then, I'll re-phrase. "...If this was an organised terrorist attack...."
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
pwa

Post by pwa »

661-Pete wrote:I don't live in London but I don't have a problem visiting the city (some years since I did it by bike though). Remember that terrorist attacks like (allegedly) this one are incredibly rare. If this was a terrorist attack, and not simply the actions of a deranged loner....

Far more cyclists are killed or injured due to - well I don't need to spell it out..... :evil:

Even that last one can be put into context. I bet far more cyclists die from illnesses to do with overeating than from road incidents. As for terrorism in London, I will be there tomorrow and I won't give it a thought. We just get on with things, don't we.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

661-Pete wrote:I don't live in London but I don't have a problem visiting the city (some years since I did it by bike though). Remember that terrorist attacks like (allegedly) this one are incredibly rare. If this was a terrorist attack, and not simply the actions of a deranged loner....

Police were clear fro m the start that because of the target it was being treated as a Terrorist attack

However they were equally clear that that could be reviewed as they were investigating the perpetrator, his religious and personal beliefs and contacts, whether he was "known" to the Police and his mental state
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Daily Mail headline says "Gang of Dangerous Cyclists hit road tax paying motorist" and call for the introduction of number plates on bicycles and compulsory third party insurance. The article says that "the gang of non road tax paying cyclists were loitering near parliament and that many were concealing their identities behind burka like helmets and sunglasses when they struck a motorist"
mjr

Post by mjr »

More seriously, captions on the BBC video described the injured cyclists as having been "in the way" of the attacker. Even in this case, the BBC considers us in the way of motorists rather than legitimate road users :-(
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

[XAP]Bob wrote:A deranged loner can be a terrorist...

And doesn't have to be a Muslim either.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden