Cyclists injured in Westminster attack

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: Cyclists injured in Westminster attack

Post by reohn2 »

mnichols wrote:Daily Mail headline says "Gang of Dangerous Cyclists hit road tax paying motorist" and call for the introduction of number plates on bicycles and compulsory third party insurance. The article says that "the gang of non road tax paying cyclists were loitering near parliament and that many were concealing their identities behind burka like helmets and sunglasses when they struck a motorist"

Was there any mention of cyclists wearing hipster beards as part of their deplorable behaviour to conceal their indentity ?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

reohn2 wrote:And doesn't have to be a Muslim either.
Statistically, they are most likely to be though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_terrorism

"In 2015 four Islamic extremist groups were responsible for 74% of all deaths from terrorism: ISIS, Boko Haram, the Taliban and Al-Qaeda, according to the Global Terrorism Index 2016."
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Freddie wrote:
Statistically, they are most likely to be though.......

Did I say otherwise?
Perhaps if we didn't decimate and rape their countries and bomb the hell out of them killing millions,we wouldn't have some of the more extreme elements trying to get their own back on us,YVMV mine won't.
W H Auden
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

Interesting theory, but factually wrong. Here is a list of Islamic terror attacks for the last thirty days, notice where they occur and who they are aimed at (I'll give you a clue, not European "Imperialists", in the main):

https://www.thereligionofpeace.com/atta ... ?Yr=Last30

Do you have another theory?
reohn2 wrote:Perhaps if we didn't decimate and rape their countries and bomb the hell out of them killing millions,we wouldn't have some of the more extreme elements of them trying to get their own back on us
Even if that was entirely true (and the above link shows that it is not, seeing as majority of terror is committed in muslim lands), that would be an argument in favour of reducing/halting entirely muslims moving to Europe to reduce these attacks or, if not, perhaps you think it is somehow justified the extreme element 'getting their own back' on European civilians. Which is it?
reohn2 wrote:YVMV mine won't.
If you are not open to changing your mind, then why discuss these things at all?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Freddie wrote:Interesting theory, but factually wrong. Here is a list of Islamic terror attacks for the last thirty days, notice where they occur and who they are aimed at (I'll give you a clue, not European "Imperialists", in the main):

https://www.thereligionofpeace.com/atta ... ?Yr=Last30

Do you have another theory?
reohn2 wrote:Perhaps if we didn't decimate and rape their countries and bomb the hell out of them killing millions,we wouldn't have some of the more extreme elements of them trying to get their own back on us
Even if that was entirely true (and the above link shows that it is not, seeing as majority of terror is committed in muslim lands), that would be an argument in favour of reducing/halting entirely muslims moving to Europe to reduce these attacks or, if not, perhaps you think it is somehow justified the extreme element 'getting their own back' on European civilians. Which is it?
reohn2 wrote:YVMV mine won't.
If you are not open to changing your mind, then why discuss these things at all?

Freddie we've been through this movie before and I'm not about engage again with you on the issue .
Believe whatever you like,but look into recent history for your answers.
W H Auden
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

Your point has merit, I don't say it doesn't. I am not in favour of adventures abroad, however Islamic terror occurs in many parts of the world we haven't bombed and most of its victims are not Europeans, so it is not an all encompassing answer. Islamic terrorism long predates our ability to bomb them and incursions were made into Europe by Islam as early as the 7th century. Here is a 5 minute video to illustrate the early days of expansion (by the sword), if you are interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_To-cV94Bo
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Freddie wrote:Here is a 5 minute video to illustrate the early days of expansion (by the sword), if you are interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_To-cV94Bo
By a Physics / Maths PhD who considers Barack Obahma to be a Muslim?
"42"
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Not necessarily accurate (who knows what is?) but here is a story in the Independent which puts a rather different complexion on the whole affair.

I am reminded of the last time I was knocked off, back in 2012. The car (a taxi) drove right across my path, giving me no chance to evade it. I wasn't seriously hurt, but what if I had been - killed even? The driver was evidently a Muslim, probably of Pakistani or Bangladeshi origin. He was wearing Muslim-style clothing (the sort you see men wearing on their way to Mosque). He had a Muslim-sounding name. Would the police have labelled the collision a 'possible terrorist attack' because of those little details?

Of course not. It was a case of Careless Driving, and the driver (who admitted the offence) got his just desserts - for just that.

Sorry, but I detect the smell of racism and intolerance somewhere....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Freddie wrote:
Statistically, they are most likely to be though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_terrorism

"In 2015 four Islamic extremist groups were responsible for 74% of all deaths from terrorism: ISIS, Boko Haram, the Taliban and Al-Qaeda, according to the Global Terrorism Index 2016."

The data is skewed and inaccurate.

Posted before, but worthwhile remebrering:

ISIL/ IS/ ISIS have a leader who claims to be a direct descendant of "The Prophet"

For this reason ALL Muslims wherever they may be owe him (and IS) "bayat" or fealty

This means that any attack by Muslim however large/ small is claimed by IS as theirs, regardless of the truth

Take the 59 killed by Stephen Paddock in the worst shooting incident in the US....

Amaq (IS News agency) claimed:

“The Las Vegas attack was carried out by a soldier of the Islamic State and he carried it out in response to calls to target states of the coalition.”

They also claimed that the gunman had changed his name to Abu Abd el-Bar al-Amriki in response to calls by the group's top leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi to "target the countries of the Crusader coalition

IN 2017 in the Philippines, a gunman in a botched robbery caused a stampede in a Casin, and 53 people were injured. The perpetrator was a mentally ill local man with gambling problems and debts..... yet again ISIS claimed responsibility

Their own propoganda states that it is important that they be seen to be responsible for any attack regardless as to whether there is any connection
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

661-Pete wrote:Not necessarily accurate (who knows what is?) but here is a story in the Independent which puts a rather different complexion on the whole affair.

I am reminded of the last time I was knocked off, back in 2012. The car (a taxi) drove right across my path, giving me no chance to evade it. I wasn't seriously hurt, but what if I had been - killed even? The driver was evidently a Muslim, probably of Pakistani or Bangladeshi origin. He was wearing Muslim-style clothing (the sort you see men wearing on their way to Mosque). He had a Muslim-sounding name. Would the police have labelled the collision a 'possible terrorist attack' because of those little details?

Of course not. It was a case of Careless Driving, and the driver (who admitted the offence) got his just desserts - for just that.

I think the Police were right in their dealings initially

As they stated it was being dealt with as a "terrorist attack" not because go the individual's race colour, religion or creed, but because of the nature of the target. They also stated that they were investigating a suspect who had been arrested at the scene. However it was made clear that this included the mental health of the individual.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

661-Pete wrote:

There is now that Trump is tweeting his usual bigoted tripe
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Cunobelin wrote:I think the Police were right in their dealings initially

As they stated it was being dealt with as a "terrorist attack" not because go the individual's race colour, religion or creed, but because of the nature of the target. They also stated that they were investigating a suspect who had been arrested at the scene. However it was made clear that this included the mental health of the individual.
I don't see a problem with the police reaction. It was fully justified. It's others who have latched onto the word 'terrorist' who are the problem.

If this does indeed turn out to be a terrorist attack, and if the suspect does turn out to have been radicalised by Daesh or any other extremist organisation, I'll be ready to eat my words...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

Cunobelin wrote:This means that any attack by Muslim however large/ small is claimed by IS as theirs, regardless of the truth

Take the 59 killed by Stephen Paddock in the worst shooting incident in the US....
I'm pretty sure every admission of responsibility for x attack by ISIS is not taken as read.
661-Pete wrote:Not necessarily accurate (who knows what is?) but here is a story in the Independent which puts a rather different complexion on the whole affair.
His friends have vouched for him, someone inform the police so they can call off their investigation... :roll:
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Freddie wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:This means that any attack by Muslim however large/ small is claimed by IS as theirs, regardless of the truth

I'm pretty sure every admission of responsibility for x attack by ISIS is not taken as read.
His friends have vouched for him, someone inform the police so they can call off their investigation... :roll:

Unfortunately it is when it suits....

Republican Scott Perry has this week stated that ISIS is responsible... after all you cannot accept that it was a nutter with a gun, and also helps support the argument for teh wall along the US/Mexico border

[youtube]DCYH7eTO0G8[/youtube]

Interestingly several of his friends also raise the possibility ha had mental health issues.

That is a two edged sword. It may make the attack, simply the sad actions of someone with mental health problems, or it may also point to radicalisation, as mental health issues are a prime susceptibility in the process
Last edited by Cunobelin on 15 Aug 2018, 8:09pm, edited 1 time in total.
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

My source was Global Terrorism Index, not Scott Perry, whoever that may be.