Speed Awareness Course

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Speed Awareness Course

Post by Cyril Haearn »

pete75 wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:
pete75 wrote:It would appear they put a different version in the E class - it uses the so called Comand system. It has live traffic updates and even recalculates if there's traffic congestion on the route. Maybe you need a software update.

As above, “live updates” aren’t...they are what is fed in to the system from other sources and as a result shows delays after they happen

Quite often a diversion can itself be blocked within a short time, but it takes a lot longer for that information to sneak up the data chain and back down again

They can only show delays after they've happened. You appear to expect automotive systems to have second sight and predict delays before they happen.

I do expect that, they can see where there are jams and the instructions can be achanged in accordance ..

It would be quite simple to tell a third of drivers to stay on the motorrway, a third to take a parallel A-road and the rest to take an interesting detour through the villages :oops:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mjr

Post by mjr »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
pete75 wrote:They can only show delays after they've happened. You appear to expect automotive systems to have second sight and predict delays before they happen.

I do expect that, they can see where there are jams and the instructions can be achanged in accordance ..

Not only that, they can tell where the cars are going and could make predictions of where's going to get too busy soon and jam up!

It would be quite simple to tell a third of drivers to stay on the motorrway, a third to take a parallel A-road and the rest to take an interesting detour through the villages :oops:

It would be better to tell the drivers what speed to do on the motorway to arrive at the back of the jam probably just as it starts to move forwards and what speed to do in the slow-moving traffic to minimise the risk of it stopping again. It'd be like a smart motorway that actually worked.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

pete75 wrote:They can only show delays after they've happened. You appear to expect automotive systems to have second sight and predict delays before they happen.

Care to explain, this weird interpretation??

The posts that I made explained clearly why this was NOT POSSIBLE

Let me remind you of what was posted::

As above, “live updates” aren’t...they are what is fed in to the system from other sources and as a result shows delays after they happen

Quite often a diversion can itself be blocked within a short time, but it takes a lot longer for that information to sneak up the data chain and back down again

There are a lot of systems (Google, Waze) and others that fed in the data,[color=#FF0000] but do not predict.[/color]

[color=#000000][color=#000000]Classic example was a problem on teh M27 near Portchester. Alternative route is Portsdown Hill which was absolutely fine. However when my colleague took the route 15 minutes later that was gridlocked, and when our late starter arrived that was also an avoidance on teh SatNav

One of the reasons I use Waze as a backup, it shows local problems long before they feed back up the chain and then back down to the SatNav

I am unsure how these posts can in ay way lead to your bizarre conclusion:
:

thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm not sure if this is relevant but I've just been doing granddad's taxi service to a Leeds United match, not in my own car but in an Audi. In the absence of much in the way of a police presence, cars being parked / abandoned all over. Driving in my usual granddad style - ultra cautious mode - I was passing a row of (illegally) parked cars when a driver who had parked with his two offside wheels on the footway, emerged from between the vehicles and opened his nearside door into the carriageway in front of me and the car flashed up an alert and braked before I reacted. I'm pretty sure I would not have hit him anyway.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Cunobelin wrote:

Care to explain, this weird interpretation??

The posts that I made explained clearly why this was NOT POSSIBLE

Let me remind you of what was posted::

There are a lot of systems (Google, Waze) and others that fed in the data,[color=#FF0000] but do not predict.[/color]

[color=#000000][color=#000000]Classic example was a problem on teh M27 near Portchester. Alternative route is Portsdown Hill which was absolutely fine. However when my colleague took the route 15 minutes later that was gridlocked, and when our late starter arrived that was also an avoidance on teh SatNav

One of the reasons I use Waze as a backup, it shows local problems long before they feed back up the chain and then back down to the SatNav

I am unsure how these posts can in ay way lead to your bizarre conclusion:
:

OK an example. On the M1 a lorry sheds it's load . two carriageways are closed leaving only the third open. This causes a delay. A car Satnav signals this delay to the driver. Obviously this has to be after the lorry shed it's load ie after the delay happened. The system could not have predicted this and can only report it after it had happened. Your complaint that they only report delays after you happened seem to imply you expect them to predict them in advance.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

That delay is pretty short nowadays - surely we can remember how slow the police signs used to be in updating warnings like ‘fog’
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

pete75 wrote:OK an example. On the M1 a lorry sheds it's load . two carriageways are closed leaving only the third open. This causes a delay. A car Satnav signals this delay to the driver. Obviously this has to be after the lorry shed it's load ie after the delay happened. The system could not have predicted this and can only report it after it had happened. Your complaint that they only report delays after you happened seem to imply you expect them to predict them in advance.

.... and does nothing to support your claim that:

Its above, an absolutely untrue statement. What is clear is that I have provided an explanation of the limits of live updates and why they are not in fact "Live", or something that can be totally relied upon

Pete75 wrote:Your complaint that they only report delays after you happened seem to imply you expect them to predict them in advance.

Another untrue statement . There was no complaint, it was a statement of fact. As to how you interpreted that to your ridiculous assumption, I really cannot fathom

It’s a bit like stating that punctures need repairing and delay your journey being interpreted as “I expect puncture repair kits to predict punctures”

Could you please stop misinterpreting my posts to suit your agenda?
Last edited by Cunobelin on 1 Sep 2018, 3:00pm, edited 3 times in total.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

[XAP]Bob wrote:That delay is pretty short nowadays - surely we can remember how slow the police signs used to be in updating warnings like ‘fog’

But still exists. My original example was over a half hour period, which is sufficient time for the alternative to be problematic.

There are ways to quicken this by using local radio and systems like Waze that whilst still imperfect often show problems as they occur, or shortly after

In my experience, I get problems highlighted on Waze 15-20 mins before anything shows on the Garmin

Question is though, how much of this is a distraction and how much are we becoming over-reliant on these pieces of equipment rather than the basic road skills?

(And just to clarify:

1. This is not a complaint - it is a statement of the fact there are delays and how I personally deal with that delay
2. It is not an expectation that the system should predict the accident before it happens, again it is a statement of what happens in reality)
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I use Google Maps on pretty much every car journey. Given the way that it collects location data from all phones where it's enabled (most) and also uses Waze & other data, which is collected via Google in any event, it's as close to real time as makes no significant difference.

I haven't, for the last 5+ years anyway, seen any need for anything else. I know it's all terribly Big Brother, but gosh it's useful when one is spending, as currently, 3-45 to 4 hours a day commuting on 3 days per week :cry:
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

interesting one this afternoon.

On a dual carriageway, which narrows to single lane.

In the mirror was an ambulance with blue lights, and audibly a siren

So we pull across to the kerb.......

6 cars then overtook and blocked the single lane blocking access and delaying the ambulance.

Now we have a situation where "all cars" are fitted with systems that allegedly (but don't, and aren't able to) compensate for poor driving, perhaps we need another system that alerts thee thick and stupid drivers who either cannot see a humongous vehicle with blue lights and a siren (supported by a very loud horn) to alert the muppets who just blocked their way, or feel that a hundred yards further is worth risking another person's life and delaying their care
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

More regulation is needed!

Volume limit for radios
Windows and bodywork should let sound through

Aircon is a big problem I think, it only works if windows are closed

In town one should open a window to hear warnings
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Cyril Haearn wrote:More regulation is needed!

Volume limit for radios
Windows and bodywork should let sound through

Aircon is a big problem I think, it only works if windows are closed

In town one should open a window to hear warnings

Interesting one....

The iPod Zombie, beloved by the motoring lobby, and cyclists with earphones are their own worst enemy.......

Yet the difference in the ability to hear ambient sounds in th environment is similar to closing a car's windows

However I am sure that before long all cars will be fitted with a device that removes the need to listen to the environment as well as to see it
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Cunobelin wrote:
pete75 wrote:OK an example. On the M1 a lorry sheds it's load . two carriageways are closed leaving only the third open. This causes a delay. A car Satnav signals this delay to the driver. Obviously this has to be after the lorry shed it's load ie after the delay happened. The system could not have predicted this and can only report it after it had happened. Your complaint that they only report delays after you happened seem to imply you expect them to predict them in advance.

Its above, an absolutely untrue statement. What is clear is that I have provided an explanation of the limits of live updates and why they are not in fact "Live", or something that can be totally relied upon

Pete75 wrote:Your complaint that they only report delays after you happened seem to imply you expect them to predict them in advance.

Another untrue statement . There was no complaint, it was a statement of fact. As to how you interpreted that to your ridiculous assumption, I really cannot fathom

It’s a bit like stating that punctures need repairing and delay your journey being interpreted as “I expect puncture repair kits to predict punctures”

I was merely pointing out the absurdity of some of your statements.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

pete75 wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:

I can only apologise if you feel that explaining why there are no "Live updates" and why that delay occurs is absurd, others recognised the posts and discussed them in an intelligent manner.

However if this is the way you chooses to avoid answering why you have lied about what I posted then that is your prerogative
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Cunobelin wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:

I can only apologise if you feel that explaining why there are no "Live updates" and why that delay occurs is absurd, others recognised the posts and discussed them in an intelligent manner.

However if this is the way you chooses to avoid answering why you have lied about what I posted then that is your prerogative

At least you've given me a good laugh. You stated that these systems only report delays after they had happened. To include that statement in a post generally critical of these systems implied you think they should do otherwise. That otherwise could only be predicting the events before they occured. I was merely pointing out the absurdity of that.
ANyhow at leats you've given me a good laugh with your unintentionally funny and somewhat misinformed postings.