All You Wood Burners, Wet Wood.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
NATURAL ANKLING

All You Wood Burners, Wet Wood.

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I see that the Gov are set to ban wet wood sales.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
PDQ Mobile

Re: All You Wood Burners, Wet Wood.

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Quite right too.
After this beautiful drying summer!!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Why would anyone buy wet wood?

We're lucky in that we're self-sufficient in wood, and we could do a "pick your own but bring your own chainsaw" business we have so much of it.

Any wood we see for sale round here is advertised as "seasoned".
Mick F. Cornwall
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I presume this refers to this article or similar. It's been under discussion for some months now.

I think 'wet wood' means any wood that's not been properly seasoned. For softwoods and some hardwoods, I believe that takes anything from six months to two years. I'm told that in some countries (Germany for instance) it's illegal to burn firewood for at least two years after cutting.

But I presume this ban doesn't apply to wood used in construction etc. Green oak takes around ten years to mature. Not that anyone would want to burn the stuff (except arsonists)! But, needing to replace a porch support pillar, I opted to replace it with green oak (the cheapest option and recommended to me by the timber yard). They warned me that it would probably crack as it dried out, but this wouldn't affect its structural strength. Indeed, several years later, it shows a few minor cracks but is doing just fine!

Meanwhile, a few days ago we had to have a big willow tree felled at our house in France, because it had been partly blown down by a storm and was endangering the neighbour's property. So we shall have an awful lot of wet wood to deal with, on our next visit. We shan't be burning it any time soon!

I believe Ben@forest is the expert here....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

The terrminology is confusing. Freshly cut wood should be described as 'green' not wet. Wet wood should really describe wood that has been wetted. Thus - green oak.

The major issue is people ignoring smokeless zones where people shouldn't be burning wood whether seasoned or green on ordinary wood burners. But this is not enforced, I'm afraid it'll be introducing new legislation where adequate laws already exist.
random37

Post by random37 »

The direction of travel is moving away from wood burning.

I expect stoves won't be permitted in new builds eventually. Then, they will die out.

There are much cleaner ways to heat a home, even though I love them.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

random37 wrote:The direction of travel is moving away from wood burning.

I expect stoves won't be permitted in new builds eventually. Then, they will die out.

There's no reason why woodburning stoves or wood (or wood pellet) boilers can't be as efficient or clean as other forms of fuel. This technology already exists and is in locations from swimming pools to schools to village halls across the UK (especially Scotland).

But for the manufacturers of ordinary domestic woodburning stoves making them and getting them approved to a higher standard may not make economic sense for the returns and because they will inevitably be more expensive the market will be smaller.

As is often said on this forum when energy is the topic - a mix of fuels are required and wood is one of them.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Mick F wrote:Why would anyone buy wet wood?

People do though and very frequently too.
It's mostly to do with the suppliers not wanting to invest in kiln drying equipment (which counter intuitively uses energy!) or being prepared to store long enough to get it dry.

Burning dry wood is easy but one needs to be a bit organized.
There are many benefits though from lower emissions to far more heat output and clean flues.
I think we have been here before!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Ben@Forest wrote:The terrminology is confusing. Freshly cut wood should be described as 'green' not wet. Wet wood should really describe wood that has been wetted. Thus - green oak.

The major issue is people ignoring smokeless zones where people shouldn't be burning wood whether seasoned or green on ordinary wood burners. But this is not enforced, I'm afraid it'll be introducing new legislation where adequate laws already exist.

Spot on.
We appear to have a government that likes to introduce new laws whilst at the same time cuttting(sorry)the funding to enforcement agencies employed to implement those laws.
The words useless bunch and nitwits springs readily to mind,unless that's their intention all along :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

PDQ Mobile wrote:

It's mostly to do with the suppliers not wanting to invest in kiln drying equipment (which counter intuitively uses energy!) or being prepared to store long enough to get it dry

The majority of kiln dried firewood is dried in a solar kiln or in a kiln which uses waste heat from another process. I have yet to see a kiln for drying firewood that was powered by a fossil fuel heat source (tho I've seen one using waste wood - i.e. wood contaminated by paint and varnish).
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Ben@Forest wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:

It's mostly to do with the suppliers not wanting to invest in kiln drying equipment (which counter intuitively uses energy!) or being prepared to store long enough to get it dry

The majority of kiln dried firewood is dried in a solar kiln or in a kiln which uses waste heat from another process. I have yet to see a kiln for drying firewood that was powered by a fossil fuel heat source (tho I've seen one using waste wood - i.e. wood contaminated by paint and varnish).

I guess that depends on the sun shining and there being enough waste painted wood, (which is foul stuff to burn anyway).
I only know of one locally, it uses the same wood as is being dried and I imagine uses electric from the grid for the fans?

I use a super simple wind,wait and sun system!
Costs nothing to run and the results (esp this summer) are superb!
random37

Post by random37 »

Ben@Forest wrote:There's no reason why woodburning stoves or wood (or wood pellet) boilers can't be as efficient or clean as other forms of fuel. This technology already exists and is in locations from swimming pools to schools to village halls across the UK (especially Scotland).

I live on top of a big hill, at chimney level with a row of terraced houses. On a still winter's night, the smoke can be quite unpleasant.

Perhaps wood burners might be efficient and clean in optimal situations. But people don't maintain them well, and they burn whatever they can get hold of.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

661-Pete wrote:Meanwhile, a few days ago we had to have a big willow tree felled at our house in France, because it had been partly blown down by a storm and was endangering the neighbour's property. So we shall have an awful lot of wet wood to deal with, on our next visit. We shan't be burning it any time soon!
Willow is rubbish as firewood.
We have a big one that fell down - they all do eventually - and it's not worth the petrol for the chainsaw let alone my effort to cut it up.
It can remain where it is as a habitat for the wildlife.

random37 wrote:The direction of travel is moving away from wood burning.
If you live somewhere off the gas main like wot we do, we only have the options of coal or wood or lecky.

Which would you chose if you are surrounded by woodland?
Mick F. Cornwall
random37

Post by random37 »

Mick F wrote:If you live somewhere off the gas main like wot we do, we only have the options of coal or wood or lecky.

Which would you chose if you are surrounded by woodland?

Well, serves you right. :D

Of course, I would choose properly seasoned wood. I have a multifuel stove myself. But many won't, and that is an environmental problem.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I cut our own wood.
If it's a new tree, the wood is cut into long lengths that I can carry, and left outside along the south-facing wall. I'll bring it round to the area where I do the logging on the horse by the shed, and cut it into short lengths and chunks - sometimes splitting it with my splitting axe - and bring it indoors.
If it's still not dry, it doesn't matter because it's put next to the stove and it dries nicely over a few days or weeks - especially if it's split.

If I can keep ahead of the game during the spring, there's enough wood to get us into the winter. If we run out by then, I cut some more.

Constant conveyor belt.

It's lit now even though it's mid-August. Doesn't need to be lit for heating of course, but the hot water is brilliant and will last for a few days as we have a huge hot water tank in the loft, so we won't light it until late next week maybe.
The wood on the hearth is mainly oak.
IMG_0540.JPG
Mick F. Cornwall