Should electric bikes be allowed on Audax events?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Should electric bikes be allowed on Audax events?

Post by Mick F »

reohn2 wrote:
squeaker wrote:
reohn2 wrote:If it's a legal pedelec I can't see that being the case TBH

Why not? Mick on form = 200W (ie not Chris Froome - other examples available), e-bike through a gearing system at 250W plus Mick's friend giving it some to prove a point at 200W = 450W on a hill so mostly power proportional to speed. That and the probability that the e-bike will produce a bit more than 250W for a shorter time than specified for the 250W rating :roll:

There's only one way to find out.....

Go for a ride with him up Gunny Hill! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
squeaker wrote:Why not? Mick on form = 200W (ie not Chris Froome - other examples available), e-bike through a gearing system at 250W plus Mick's friend giving it some to prove a point at 200W = 450W on a hill so mostly power proportional to speed. That and the probability that the e-bike will produce a bit more than 250W for a shorter time than specified for the 250W rating :roll:

There's only one way to find out.....

Go for a ride with him up Gunny Hill! :D

Yep!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

I think the whole audax thing is somewhat precious,and if others choose to use an ebike,chemical stimulants,wind-assistance etc. should make no difference to the achievements of the genuine rider.However I cannot see how an e-bike rider can get any sense of achievement.Personally I ride bikes to get somewhere and am unconcerned about proving my fitness to myself or others.I can stand all the rules about mudguards,lights etc.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mumbojumbo wrote:I think the whole audax thing is somewhat precious,and if others choose to use an ebike,chemical stimulants,wind-assistance etc. should make no difference to the achievements of the genuine rider. However I cannot see how an e-bike rider can get any sense of achievement.Personally I ride bikes to get somewhere and am unconcerned about proving my fitness to myself or others.I can stand all the rules about mudguards,lights etc.

It depends on what they seek to achieve,if it's just to complete the distance then I agree,but people may enter Audax events for different reasons.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
meic

Post by meic »

mumbojumbo wrote:I think the whole audax thing is somewhat precious,and if others choose to use an ebike,chemical stimulants,wind-assistance etc. should make no difference to the achievements of the genuine rider.However I cannot see how an e-bike rider can get any sense of achievement.Personally I ride bikes to get somewhere and am unconcerned about proving my fitness to myself or others.I can stand all the rules about mudguards,lights etc.

I am guessing that you meant to say that you can not stand all the rules about mudguards, lights etc.
In which case you will be relieved to know that the rules about lights are nothing to do with Audax but the normal UK laws, enforced (or not) by the police, I have not ridden an Audax where there was a compulsory mudguard requirement enforced and I would be very impressed if anybody could actually find any Audax with a mudguard requirement.
Yma o Hyd
PH

Post by PH »

meic wrote:I would be very impressed if anybody could actually find any Audax with a mudguard requirement.

Happy to oblige
http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/18-398/

I did one from the same organiser earlier in the year which also required mudguards. I think it might be the only one I've done this year and it's certainly getting less common, I don't pay much attention as the bikes I'll use for Audax have them anyway.. Where I have noticed it's a requirement it's with good reason, as above, group riding in fenland after a bit of rain without them is unfair to the other riders and the controls.
PH

Post by PH »

mumbojumbo wrote:I think the whole audax thing is somewhat precious,and if others choose to use an ebike,chemical stimulants,wind-assistance etc. should make no difference to the achievements of the genuine rider.However I cannot see how an e-bike rider can get any sense of achievement.

Well I'm sure the e-bike riders are very grateful for your support and opinion that they're not genuine riders.
Have you ever ridden in a group with an e-bike? Put one on the front and everyone benefits, particularly into a headwind :D
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I have recently ridden with an ebike rider on a lejog .... after 3 days of him laughing and making comments as he whined up hills that where killing the rest of us ... words where had !
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
meic

Post by meic »

PH wrote:
meic wrote:I would be very impressed if anybody could actually find any Audax with a mudguard requirement.

Happy to oblige

I did one from the same organiser earlier in the year which also required mudguards. I think it might be the only one I've done this year and it's certainly getting less common, I don't pay much attention as the bikes I'll use for Audax have them anyway.. Where I have noticed it's a requirement it's with good reason, as above, group riding in fenland after a bit of rain without them is unfair to the other riders and the controls.

I am duly impressed, do you know if the rule was strictly enforced, broadly but not entirely respected or pretty much ignored?
Mudguards seem to be disappearing from our local Audax scene as "guests" from local race clubs are outnumbering the old school regulars, at least at 200k and less.
Yma o Hyd
PH

Post by PH »

meic wrote:
PH wrote:

Happy to oblige

I am duly impressed, do you know if the rule was strictly enforced, broadly but not entirely respected or pretty much ignored?
Mudguards seem to be disappearing from our local Audax scene as "guests" from local race clubs are outnumbering the old school regulars, at least at 200k and less.

The ride was Hereward the Wake in the middle of the July heatwave, I didn't pay that much attention but from memory all those I rode with or saw at the controls seemed to have guards. I don't think there was any enforcement, it was clear in the ride description that came with the route sheet and I think everyone respected that, IMO it'd be extremely rude not to.
I'm not sure relaxing the rules was a good idea, I've done a few where I'd have preferred all riders to be using them. I know there's the argument that I don't have to ride in that group, but the emphasis should be on them not me. It's all part of the wannabe racer thing, yet the actual racers I know wouldn't think of going on a wet training ride without guards.
as "guests" from local race clubs are outnumbering the old school regulars, at least at 200k and less.

Yes, I think the longer events attract less racers, though the popularity of endurance racing is changing that.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

landsurfer wrote:I have recently ridden with an ebike rider on a lejog .... after 3 days of him laughing and making comments as he whined up hills that where killing the rest of us ... words were had !

Sure, until his battery ran out and he had to pedal 25 kg of velocipede with nobbut his thews. Our club prez, having a dickey heart, recently went electric and is a pain in the butternuts to ride with: on the flat he holds it down to 20-22 kph as being optimal for the battery, while on the climbs he breezes up as above. If I want to remain companionable I match his speed, but if I ride at my own speed I leave him far behind on descents or on the flat and usually make it up the next hill before he catches up, whereupon I'm away again.

Last Sunday we set out on a 100k circuit together. The first 25k were rising false flat with the odd short hill. By the first control so much of his battery was gone that he defaulted to the 80k circuit.

Anyway: should eBikes be allowed on Audax events? <evil glee>Yes, but only on 200k or over, and no recharging allowed.</evil glee>
Have we got time for another cuppa?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

mumbojumbo wrote:I think the whole audax thing is somewhat precious,and if others choose to use an ebike,chemical stimulants,wind-assistance etc. should make no difference to the achievements of the genuine rider. However I cannot see how an e-bike rider can get any sense of achievement.Personally I ride bikes to get somewhere and am unconcerned about proving my fitness to myself or others.I can stand all the rules about mudguards,lights etc.

You can't see how they can get any sort of achievement...

I suggest that's a problem with your imagination and/or empathy than it is with e-bikes.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Si

Post by Si »

I used to view cycling as a challenge. I did it both for the enjoyment of simply riding and for the pride in constantly trying to better what I'd done before and what others had done. Thus I liked audaxes as doing one meant that I had achieved something (something that 99.9+% of the population could not do).

In this frame of mind I would have said that allowing ebikes into audaxes was not something I would support. Audaxing is about long distance, self supported cycling under your own power. An ebike means that it is not all done under your own power and thus an ebike rider has no right to claim to have achieved what I achieved. I believed there are three main reasons for an ebike: non-age related disability (minority), age-related lack of fitness (can't manage what you used to....but many audaxers are quite senior), and non-age-related lack of fitness (the majority). this latter category should certainly not be claiming the same achievement as I have. The other two categories may claim an achievement but it should be under their own classification to differentiate from "real"(tm) audaxers.

These days my views are somewhat different. Cycling should not chiefly be a sport or competitive or challenging. It should be an activity that all can take part in regardless of ability, as "active travel": you know the story - reduces pollution, social isolation, income based movement restriction, poor standards of health, etc etc. Thus I welcome any organisation that makes cycling more inclusive. Audax may have started as a touring competition for those who wanted to do more distance than anyone else and keep score, but I think it is widening its horizons now as demonstrated by the fact that there are many more 50km rides available (can you imagine the uproar in the early days of audax if anyone had claimed a 50km as a "distance" ride!). It now helps to get people into cycling or motivate them to cycle more. I'm not claiming that audax will do this for the whole population but it is one small cog in a much larger, multi-approach, solution.

ATEOTD I'd much rather have a load of people out on a Sunday morning doing audaxes on ebikes than out in their cars polluting, congesting, etc.

But I still think that ebikes, whilst welcomed, should be used under a different audax classification to those who ride under their own steam.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

You can't see how they can get any sort of achievement...

I suggest that's a problem with your imagination and/or empathy than it is with e-bikes.

You are right.I cannot imagine entering an Audax with loads of other cyclists,and I cannot imagine being cheeky enough to enter an audax with an e-bike.Might as well turn up with a 250cc motorbike
meic

Post by meic »

ATEOTD I'd much rather have a load of people out on a Sunday morning doing audaxes on ebikes than out in their cars polluting, congesting, etc.

By far the largest part of my solo car use, when into Audaxes, was driving my bike to attend Audax events.
Yma o Hyd