Should electric bikes be allowed on Audax events?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
horizon

Re: Should electric bikes be allowed on Audax events?

Post by horizon »

[XAP]Bob wrote:So is the OP asking whether this rule is correct/appropriate or were they unaware of it?

I didn't know the rules as such but had heard or read (on here?) that e-bikes were allowed. It posed a question for me which I wanted to share.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
horizon

Post by horizon »

[XAP]Bob wrote:The fact that most other people were riding UCI regulation compliant vehicles, or that some of them might not have been :shock: really doesn't bother me, and I can't really see why it would bother anyone else on the ride...

Well, this is where I have to decide whether it would bother me. My ideas about Audax (and I won't know for sure until I try one) come from the fact that other people are doing it. That could mean all sorts of things (good and bad) but the positive one is that there is some sort of moral support from being on the same event as other people who are also struggling with the same things you are. So while it is an interesting (mental) challenge to do it despite there being other people who aren't facing quite the same challenge (but who may be facing other ones), it isn't quite what I had in mind. A bit like going out for a meal with friends while on a strict diet.

However, if someone suggests that you really are on your own on an Audax, then again it might alter my view of it.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
BertYardbrush

Post by BertYardbrush »

Blimey.
I've done a few Audaxes. Didn't realise some participants take the points side so seriously.
I did wonder what was the purpose of the cards.
Some of the comments are quite off putting to a casual rider like me who has just got an Orbea Gain as age and medical condition takes its toll.
I have no intention of joining any ride in the knowledge that other participants would feel discomfited by my presence.
I will miss the spreads.
NickWi

Post by NickWi »

Hi Bert, Please don't be put off by other people’s ignorant or prejudice comments. Some people seem to think you’re going to set the throttle (which you don’t have nowadays) to your maximum speed and whizz past them feet up, particulay uphill.

Since getting my Gain back in April I've done six Audaxes with two more planned over the next month. I've never had a single negative comment, grumble or gripe, in fact it’s been the opposite. Other riders look, don't really want to ask, but when they catch your eye it's the same half a dozen questions every time. Where's the battery, is that the motor, what's the range, what's that button for, what’s the weight like and so on. I'm not bothered about collecting AAA points, my time or if other riders go faster or further than me (or both). I do it for the pleasure of riding, the company and to get out and explore areas I wouldn't otherwise know. If you see a fat bloke on a bright Orange D20 (rather unimaginatively called Tango), that’s me.
horizon

Post by horizon »

NickWi wrote: Please don't be put off by other people’s ignorant or prejudice comments.

I think that's a bit unfair - it was a good discussion about an issue that is a bit of a knotty problem.

I've never had a single negative comment, grumble or gripe,

That would be my expectation (and I'm pleased to hear it).
PH

Post by PH »

BertYardbrush wrote:Blimey.
I've done a few Audaxes. Didn't realise some participants take the points side so seriously.
I did wonder what was the purpose of the cards.
Some of the comments are quite off putting to a casual rider like me who has just got an Orbea Gain as age and medical condition takes its toll.
I have no intention of joining any ride in the knowledge that other participants would feel discomfited by my presence.
I will miss the spreads.

Hold on a sec. The membership decided to permit e-bikes on BP events but not to validate them, I haven't seen anyone on this thread or anywhere else express any discomfort or objection of any sort about that. Have you?
There is a discussion and some disagreement about whether the regulations should be changed to extend the events e-bikes are permitted on, but no proposals to do so and it's unlikely to happen anytime soon.
So what events are you going to boycott? Those where you're very welcome, or those where your bike isn't permitted anyway?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F wrote:A friend of mine has a fairly new eBike. Chatting to him about it the other day.

I climb Gunnislake Hill at circa 5mph, maybe 7mph if I'm feeling fit!
He climbs the self same hill at 15mph on his eBike.
Well, this morning I was climbing Gunny hill on Moulton, and my mate passed me at about 30mph! :shock: :shock:

He was driving his van.
Mick F. Cornwall