Finger Nails

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Finger Nails

Post by Mick F »

From my earliest memories, I've always bitten my nails.
Many many times over the eons, I've deliberately stopped, but before I knew it, I was biting them again without thinking. I've tried to stop, but find I'm biting them again totally without thinking.

A few short months ago, I realised I'd stopped. No conscious effort on my part, just stopped, and I never noticed until I saw my nails had grown. I've even had to cut them! :shock:

Why have I stopped?
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Re: Finger Nails

Post by al_yrpal »

Happened to me too about 15 years ago. Perhaps its like sucking your thumb, you suddenly grew up! :lol:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Don't worry about it or you'll end up biting your fingernails. :roll:
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Every one probably did it when they were young I did (45% teenagers).
1:3 adults, I chew my fingers sometimes, but gave up toenail biting when could no longer get my foot behind my neck :lol:
Its a ology thingummy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nail_biting
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't like mysteries. There's always a reason for everything, and I do worry about it. It's probably that I've grown out of it, though not actually grown up. :wink:

I wonder if people can grow out of habitually smoking or habitually drinking in the same way I've grown out of habitually biting my nails?
Mick F. Cornwall
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Mick F wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't like mysteries. There's always a reason for everything, and I do worry about it. It's probably that I've grown out of it, though not actually grown up. :wink:

I wonder if people can grow out of habitually smoking or habitually drinking in the same way I've grown out of habitually biting my nails?

I love mysteries. But then I am an old hippy-romantic. Sometimes the sublime is sublime.

There is a reason for everything .... as long as you can make one up. Often the reasons bear no relation to reality but humans are good at reconfiguring which bits of reality they notice and which bits they don't. Many make up their own realities, which they construct and overlay upon actual reality, all inside their wee heads!

Habits can be grown out of (or be acquired) via many inner twitched of the synaptic plexus. What are the twitch-processes involved? We will never know.

There are many dark forces that work to infantilise modern folk, as this makes them easier to order about and sell things to. Many of us never grow up now, these days. If we do, we become shocked at how the human world has gone ga-ga. Our synaptic plexus twitches madly in a forlorn effort to understand the reasons. If we are incautious, conspiracy theories of the most outrageous ilk form in our brainboxes and we go on a rant about them!

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Smoking and drinking can be addictive. For some more than others. Biting nails or sucking thumbs are just pointless habits. I am trying not to grow up, I know people who have and they are all boring.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Not sure about that.
Smoking and drinking CAN be addictive, and thumb sucking and nail biting CAN have a point.

I was doing it out of habit, but not all day. It was often when I was concentrating on something. Telly, movies, reading ..... that sort of thing. It helped me do something physically when doing something mentally. I sucked my thumb as a kid, maybe until I was five? It helped me relax and to sleep, but I never did it during the day.

Maybe I'm less mental now. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I bit my nails habitually until the age of 34.

Why am I so precise about the age? Well, that year, I had a face-plant and broke all four of my top front teeth.

For several weeks, until I had my dental bridge fitted, I couldn't bite my nails (nor much else, actually...). Once the bridge went in, I found I could bite again - but the habit of nail-biting was broken for good.

Some disadvantages. A week or two ago, I took up piano-playing again after a long break. It was then I discovered my fingernails were too long. Time for the clippers...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

I think it is just good grooming. Others may advocate the nail clipper, but nothing gives satisfaction like a nail stripped cleanly from one end to the other by teeth alone. I wonder if 'feel good' hormones are released?

What about the toenails, Mick? Do you strip them with your teeth as well :o . I have to admit, I find toenails laborious and unsatisfying to trim, unlike fingernails. Perhaps there are fewer nerve endings on the toes and this is why...
fixerupper

Post by fixerupper »

I have never bitten my finger nails 'cos they are mostly painty ,gluey or oily or something else revolting ...and too tough to bite ...and good pair of sharp scissors is the only way ....
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Freddie wrote:What about the toenails, Mick? Do you strip them with your teeth as well :o .
I have to admit, that I did peel my toenails in the past. I couldn't get my toes in my my mouth, but I could reach quite well to peel them off even though I bit my finger nails. :oops:

Maybe I stopped as I got older and couldn't reach so easily. Trimming with a clipper is still ok though.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

al_yrpal wrote:Smoking and drinking can be addictive. For some more than others. Biting nails or sucking thumbs are just pointless habits. I am trying not to grow up, I know people who have and they are all boring.

Al

There is a difference between being child-like and being childish. The latter involves tantrums, sulks and inconsiderate behaviours of every ilk & tittle. The former requires only that you do not become ossified i' the brainbox whilst wearing grey suits and a tie - or, worse, beige clothing that shows the various dribbles.

Cugel, aged 15 & 3/4 (just below the age of responsibility but old enough to enjoy various naughty pleasures).
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Still not bitten 'em or even tempted to, nor am I biting them absent mindedly.

I'm still mystified why.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Maybe you were short of calcium, the metabolism changes over time

Plenty of things get better with age*, I used to have digestive problems with headaches, had to be sick, not had them for a few years

Feeling healthy and smug today, been for a long ride, 40+ km :wink: with a lot of talking in a museum at the destination

This thread will run and run. One hopes

* one gets older and wiser without trying
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies