Bude Tunnel

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
thirdcrank

Bude Tunnel

Post by thirdcrank »

Bearing in mind how much we hear about Cornwall, I'm a bit surprised nobody has mentioned the now famous Bude Tunnel.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-45401354

It's all so obviously a bit of fun that I'm surprised how many people seem to have taken the Trip Advisor review seriously. eg the one and three star reviews.

The local tourist information bod comes across a bit sniffy as well.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Bude Tunnel

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Maybe one can programme bots to do good reviews :wink:
There is a link there to a cafe with awful porridge
Porridge is so easy, how could anyone get it wrong?

One wonders which Shopping Paradises will be listed as buildings worth keeping
There is a lot of Cornwall on here but I have not been beyond Plymouth, cannae be sure that it exists
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:D :D :D
Kernow bys vyken.
Cross over the Tamar, and come and visit!

As for Bude, been there, seen it, cycled there and back, but never seen a tunnel, just hills. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
rjb

Post by rjb »

Mick F wrote::D :D :D
Kernow bys vyken.

As for Bude, been there, seen it, cycled there and back, but never seen a tunnel, just hills. :wink:

You can cross into Cornwall over the tamarbridge for free but they charge you to escape on the return, oh and don't forget your passport. :lol:

As a teenager I cycled to Bude from Plymouth with a group of riders in the 1960's. When we arrived we didn't have a lock between us so buried our bikes in the sand on the beach to give us a couple of hours to explore the place. On our return we dug our bikes out and washed as much of the sand off as we could in the canal. :roll: I still remember the ride home with the graunching noise of the sandy chain struggling around. We were very nieve in those days but enjoyed the experience which taught us all a lesson. We knew little about bike maintenance before hand but soon learnt a lot. :lol:
Those were the days.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

In a big industrial city like Leeds, the Victorians had to be imaginative in thinking up names for all the terraced street. There's a a small bit of Beeston, Leeds 10, with names of places in Cornwall, including Bude Road (no tunnel, BTW.) Pre-satnav, I was approached in my shiny panda car by a delivery driver asking for Buddy Road. He assumed that it was pronounced to rhyme with nuddy.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

rjb wrote:
Mick F wrote::D :D :D
Kernow bys vyken.

You can cross into Cornwall over the tamarbridge for free but they charge you to escape on the return, oh and don't forget your passport. :lol:

As a teenager I cycled to Bude from Plymouth with a group of riders in the 1960's. When we arrived we didn't have a lock between us so buried our bikes in the sand on the beach to give us a couple of hours to explore the place. On our return we dug our bikes out and washed as much of the sand off as we could in the canal. :roll: I still remember the ride home with the graunching noise of the sandy chain struggling around. We were very nieve in those days but enjoyed the experience which taught us all a lesson. We knew little about bike maintenance before hand but soon learnt a lot. :lol:
Those were the days.

Plus One, burying bikes in the sand, fantastic but I believe it :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Good job the tide didn't come in. :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall