Favourite Museums

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
brynpoeth

Favourite Museums

Postby brynpoeth » 5 Sep 2018, 6:53pm

I do love visiting museums, the Nation Cycle Museum at Llandrindod Wells is one favourite
Does the word "museum" have a slightly boring feel, a place one was forced to visit as a child? One could use use "exhibition" or "heritage centre" instead

Visiting a small museum one often gets into conversation with the staff, that can be very interesting. Not so keen on big museums even if entry is free, often there is far too much to comprehend. One would need several days for the NRM for example

Planning a visit to a collection of flour sacks soon, someone who was there told me it is very interesting :wink:

Which is your favourite?
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love the three Es: enforcement, enforcement & enforcement

iandriver

Re: Favourite Museums

Postby iandriver » 5 Sep 2018, 10:46pm

Ah, the pencil museum in Keswick on those rainy holidays in the lakes.

The Portsmouth Historic Dockyards were just staggering. I love these real world places that have become museums. Beamish was great too, as was the SS Great Britain (much better than I expected).
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....

roubaixtuesday

Postby roubaixtuesday » 5 Sep 2018, 10:58pm

The People's History Museum Salford, the story of how democracy was forged through struggle.

In other words, what should be taught in schools, but is ignored in favour of a fake narrative of English royalty and aristocracy.

All in my humble opinion, naturally.

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 6 Sep 2018, 6:06am

Reykjavik has a "Phallological museum"

Always fancied a look whilst in Reykjavik, but never rose to the occasion

bogmyrtle

Postby bogmyrtle » 6 Sep 2018, 8:26am

Scarpa Flow Museum but I think it's in the process of being renovated. Hope it isn't messed around too much. I thought it was great the way it was i.e a bit rustic.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.

pwa

Postby pwa » 6 Sep 2018, 8:37am

http://www.lolc.co.uk/museum/gallery/

The Land of Lost Content in Craven Arms is well worth a visit if you have never been there. It is a converted chapel stuffed with artefacts from the Twentieth Century to make you recall your past. It is a cranky, mad presentation done in an amateurish but obsessive way by, I presume, a very tidy hoarder. It is a genuine experience.

pete75

Postby pete75 » 6 Sep 2018, 12:18pm

There's few industrial/heritgae types museums around Ironbridge, Beamish etc which I always enjoy but there's something about the Black Country museum at Dudley that appeals to me more than any of the others.

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 6 Sep 2018, 2:19pm

The quirky multisubject jaw dropping Pitt Rivers museum in Oxford followed closely by the museum at Luxor in Egypt.

Gaydon motor museum.

And.. a town thats virtually a museum at Williamsburg Virginia along with nearby Jamestown and Yorktown.

Snowshill Manor - National Trust, former home of a Kleptomaniac! :lol:

Its virtually impossible to single one out because museums often cover a single subject. I do love quirky places with unexpected objects. :D

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. CTC gone but not forgotten!

Mistik-ka

Postby Mistik-ka » 6 Sep 2018, 10:49pm

iandriver wrote:Ah, the pencil museum in Keswick on those rainy holidays in the lakes

Rainy holidays in the Lakes! :shock:
Why weren't we warned? :(
I guess it's too late to cancel our airline tickets… :lol:

Oh well, the Cumberland sausage from Waberthwaite will serve as a compensation, I suppose (and we've already got a shopping list drawn up for the shop at the Pencil Museum). :D

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 7 Sep 2018, 9:01am

I like all museums - keep missing out on the Pencil Museum though!

My favourite museum of all time by a considerable margin is the Royal Tyrrell in Alberta, an amazing place.

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 7 Sep 2018, 7:43pm

What about museum charges? Many museums in the UK are free to enter (which are not?) but one may make a donation

The railway museum in Utrecht charges 16€, most of the rolling stock in this "Dutch" museum was made in Britain or Germany :?

I don't mind paying to see something that interests me, 5€ is fine

What effect did free admission have, did many more people go? That might make the visit less enjoyable

NUKe

Postby NUKe » 7 Sep 2018, 9:31pm

The Irish folk museum near Omagh County Tyrone. Old cottages, a blacksmith forge, shops then you pass through a coffin ship to emerge in the new world . an Irish American Beamish if you like.
National Railway museum York.
Sammy Millers motorcycle museum
NUKe

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 7 Sep 2018, 9:36pm

The Bowes Museum in Barnard Castle is a french chateau in the North of England, +1
Last edited by brynpoeth on 8 Sep 2018, 6:42am, edited 1 time in total.

pete75

Postby pete75 » 7 Sep 2018, 11:55pm

Was here on Saturday https://sinsheim.technik-museum.de/en/ . It's a hell of a museum. They even have about 70 racing bikes of various eras along with a couple of fifties/sixties TDF support vans in team colours.

Whippet

Postby Whippet » 8 Sep 2018, 7:39pm

Bovington tank museum, Portsmouth Historic shipyards - especially Victory and Warrior, Pitt Rivers in Oxford.