Favourite Museums

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cunobelin

Re: Favourite Museums

Postby Cunobelin » 16 Feb 2019, 9:43am

Whippet wrote:Bovington tank museum, Portsmouth Historic shipyards - especially Victory and Warrior, Pitt Rivers in Oxford.

If in Portsmouth, try the Royal Armories at Fort Nelson.... especially if they are firing

dodger

Postby dodger » 16 Feb 2019, 3:29pm

The old black house in the north of Lewis was a superb find. Lived in until the mid 20th Century and with a traditional peat fire burning in the middle of the floor.
No chimney, so the smoke is a bit asthma inducing. I felt a bit kippered by the time I came out.

Hobbs1951

Postby Hobbs1951 » 16 Feb 2019, 3:51pm

Russell-Cotes in Bournemouth and the Zeppelin museum in Friedrichshafen. I like Bovingdon (Father was in the RTR) and the tank museum in Saumur is a cracker.

Mustn't forget the Utah Beach D-Day Museum.

There's a long list, I try to get back to all of my favourites.

J.

ambodach

Postby ambodach » 17 Feb 2019, 11:22am

Kelvingrove in Glasgow museum and art gallery. Trouble with some of the tourist type ones are that a lot of the exhibits are familiar to me from my childhood.

Whippet

Postby Whippet » 17 Feb 2019, 8:16pm

Cunobelin wrote:
Whippet wrote:Bovington tank museum, Portsmouth Historic shipyards - especially Victory and Warrior, Pitt Rivers in Oxford.

If in Portsmouth, try the Royal Armories at Fort Nelson.... especially if they are firing

Good idea, I’ll give it a go. I didn’t realise they “fired”, sounds excellent thanks.

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 17 Feb 2019, 9:26pm

Has anyone recommended the imperial War museum of the North? Seriously good, modern museum. If you don't leave with an emotional change in some way then you are heartless. Best way to describe how I felt when I left it is either shell shocked or thoughtful. It gave me a lot to think about.

If in Holland go to the maritime museum in den Helder. It's a pretty good museum.

As a kid my gran used to take us to Liverpool museum every holidays. It was my kind of place. Just too much to see in one day. I have not been back for possibly 30 years. Anyone been recently? Is it still a good museum?

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 18 Feb 2019, 6:38am

Whippet wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:

Good idea, I’ll give it a go. I didn’t realise they “fired”, sounds excellent thanks.

Not often, but keep your eyes open.

We went to a Tattoo there a coupe of years ago.

!812 with Fireworks and cannon!

loch eck steve

Postby loch eck steve » 18 Feb 2019, 10:44am

Inverarary jail in Argyll is well worth a visit . An old 18th century jail with live actors .