Favourite Museums

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
fausto copy

Re: Favourite Museums

Post by fausto copy »

We were back in Penmaenmawr t'other day (thanks to Cyril Haearn's recommendation for Anne Forrest book :roll: ) searching out Mrs.Copy's childhood holiday haunts. Outside one cafe a lady asked me where we'd cycled from and why we were there.
After my explanation, she asked if we'd been to the new museum, which was approx 50 metres away.
Needless to say, we went in and were really impressed with the set up, although it had more information on the quarrying and railway and plane disasters than the family history we hoped for.
However a real find, and we'll have to return as the booklet Mrs.C bought was accidentally left behind after I found a couple of old postcards for her to buy also.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

One wonders whether the wild horses of the Carneddau could be ridden
Probably not, they have lived up there wild for centuries :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

iandriver wrote:Ah, the pencil museum in Keswick on those rainy holidays in the lakes.

My kids love the Pencil museum!
My personal favourites are the Natural History Museum(London) and the Royal Armouries(Leeds).
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

I've been to the Grenzhus in Schlagsdorf today, about the Inner German Border when east and west were separated, plus a lot of info about how the two systems dealt with each other, the growing rapprochement and unification.

Good museum, recently renovated with section of the border, tower, lights, road, ditch, raked sand (to spot footprints) and of course fence still intact. Also good value entry €4 and good currywurst in the cafe. Worth every cent.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Ben@Forest wrote:I've been to the Grenzhus in Schlagsdorf today, about the Inner German Border when east and west were separated, plus a lot of info about how the two systems dealt with each other, the growing rapprochement and unification.

Good museum, recently renovated with section of the border, tower, lights, road, ditch, raked sand (to spot footprints) and of course fence still intact. Also good value entry €4 and good currywurst in the cafe. Worth every cent.

There are dozens more museums on the border :wink:
The Grenzmuseum in Schlutup/Luebeck is good too
In Ratzeburg: A-Paul-Weber Museum, grotesque satirical graphics, in Schwerin DDR Art
&c &c
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Cyril Haearn wrote:In Ratzeburg: A-Paul-Weber Museum, grotesque satirical graphics, in Schwerin DDR Art

Went to the Weber Haus and the DDR Hinter von Horizont exhibition. Both good, especially the latter. But bit surprised by the esteem Weber gets - his ability is amazing but there is no doubt he was an anti-semite and his work was exhibited by the Nazis in WW2.

But like much of Germany what was appropriated by the Nazis at that time and what would have been 'the citizen's default position' is difficult to separate.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Ben@Forest wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:In Ratzeburg: A-Paul-Weber Museum, grotesque satirical graphics, in Schwerin DDR Art

Went to the Weber Haus and the DDR Hinter von Horizont exhibition. Both good, especially the latter. But bit surprised by the esteem Weber gets - his ability is amazing but there is no doubt he was an anti-semite and his work was exhibited by the Nazis in WW2.

But like much of Germany what was appropriated by the Nazis at that time and what would have been 'the citizen's default position' is difficult to separate.

Richard Wagner is still persona non grata in Israel although he died many years before 1933

Weber is complicated I think but his satirical drawings are fantastic. He had a long life under several different regimes, I thought he was "out" under the nazis actually

Matthias Claudius is an undisputed genius from nearby Reinfeld :wink:
sjs

Post by sjs »

ibbo68 wrote:
iandriver wrote:Ah, the pencil museum in Keswick on those rainy holidays in the lakes.

My kids love the Pencil museum!
My personal favourites are the Natural History Museum(London) and the Royal Armouries(Leeds).

The branch of the Natural History Museum in Tring is pretty good if you like taxidermy.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Ben@Forest wrote:Went to the Weber Haus and the DDR Hinter von Horizont exhibition. Both good, especially the latter. But bit surprised by the esteem Weber gets - his ability is amazing but there is no doubt he was an anti-semite and his work was exhibited by the Nazis in WW2.

Richard Wagner is still persona non grata in Israel although he died many years before 1933

Weber is complicated I think but his satirical drawings are fantastic. He had a long life under several different regimes, I thought he was "out" under the nazis actually

Weber was a communist and arrested by the Gestapo in 1937/38 but l think the regime and he then concentrated on their agreements rather than differences. Weber definitely was anti-semitic and he also did a series of anti-British drawings that the Nazis exhibited - as a communist you can imagine that Weber had a good line in the British monarchy, aristocracy, the downtrodden masses etc ,etc, however accurately or not it reflected the reality.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Mehlwelten.de, a collection of flour sacks and a replica of Oetzi, the 5000 year old iceman, went there today by cycle + train, took longer, cost more but I was determined to avoid TDC the tragedy of drive-cycling mentioned elsewhere :wink:

Got a booklet about 33 surprising museums, have not visited most of them yet
Wire museum
Museum of lies
DDR museum
Banana museum
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

fausto copy wrote:We were back in Penmaenmawr t'other day (thanks to Cyril Haearn's recommendation for Anne Forrest book :roll: ) searching out Mrs.Copy's childhood holiday haunts. Outside one cafe a lady asked me where we'd cycled from and why we were there.
After my explanation, she asked if we'd been to the new museum, which was approx 50 metres away.

The Penmaenmawr museum, used to be in the New York Cottages where people gathered before emigrating to trumpland, now it is in the old PO

There are talks in winter about local history and themed guided walks, maybe I could join one as the Peoples William (Gladstone), just have to grow my grey whiskers for a few months :wink:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I do love little local museums, very often one has an interesting conversation with the curator/warder, learns a lot, often quite a small village has a lot of history

Some fora members go to Spoons to meet people, museums are better for me cos I do not drink :wink:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The railway museum in York is very good, I enjoyed reading the comments, many praised the museum and bleated about expensive parking for vehicles, plusminus

Havnae been to York for a while, but I thought it had a train station with quite good services :wink:
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Cyril Haearn wrote:The railway museum in York is very good, I enjoyed reading the comments, many praised the museum and bleated about expensive parking for vehicles, plusminus

Havnae been to York for a while, but I thought it had a train station with quite good services :wink:

Yep and right next door to the museum too.

If I had my way I'd make it near impossible to use private vehicles anywhere where there was decent public transport. York like a lot of cities is ruined by the traffic trying to make it's way through its interior.
Time to stop traffic entering city centres and provide out of town parking with public transport links.

Train museum is of course excellent.
Whilst I was there last a young lad of about 8 was trying to explain how the 'cutaway' engine worked to his dad, but his dad was having none of it.
The lad was right and in the end I corrected the dad by pointing out how the plumbing actually worked - doubt I won me any fans but I bet the lad was chuffed.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

We visited this museum a few years ago on a tandem tour in NL:- https://www.batavialand.nl/en/plan-your-visit a great and very informative visit
We also visited the Koller Muller art museum/gallery,and as Mrs R2's dad was at Arnhem in WW2 we also visited the museum there too :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden