Favourite Museums

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

Favourite Museums

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I do love visiting museums, the Nation Cycle Museum at Llandrindod Wells is one favourite
Does the word "museum" have a slightly boring feel, a place one was forced to visit as a child? One could use use "exhibition" or "heritage centre" instead

Visiting a small museum one often gets into conversation with the staff, that can be very interesting. Not so keen on big museums even if entry is free, often there is far too much to comprehend. One would need several days for the NRM for example

Planning a visit to a collection of flour sacks soon, someone who was there told me it is very interesting :wink:

Which is your favourite?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
iandriver

Re: Favourite Museums

Post by iandriver »

Ah, the pencil museum in Keswick on those rainy holidays in the lakes.

The Portsmouth Historic Dockyards were just staggering. I love these real world places that have become museums. Beamish was great too, as was the SS Great Britain (much better than I expected).
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

The People's History Museum Salford, the story of how democracy was forged through struggle.

In other words, what should be taught in schools, but is ignored in favour of a fake narrative of English royalty and aristocracy.

All in my humble opinion, naturally.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Reykjavik has a "Phallological museum"

Always fancied a look whilst in Reykjavik, but never rose to the occasion
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

Scarpa Flow Museum but I think it's in the process of being renovated. Hope it isn't messed around too much. I thought it was great the way it was i.e a bit rustic.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
pwa

Post by pwa »

http://www.lolc.co.uk/museum/gallery/

The Land of Lost Content in Craven Arms is well worth a visit if you have never been there. It is a converted chapel stuffed with artefacts from the Twentieth Century to make you recall your past. It is a cranky, mad presentation done in an amateurish but obsessive way by, I presume, a very tidy hoarder. It is a genuine experience.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

There's few industrial/heritgae types museums around Ironbridge, Beamish etc which I always enjoy but there's something about the Black Country museum at Dudley that appeals to me more than any of the others.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

The quirky multisubject jaw dropping Pitt Rivers museum in Oxford followed closely by the museum at Luxor in Egypt.

Gaydon motor museum.

And.. a town thats virtually a museum at Williamsburg Virginia along with nearby Jamestown and Yorktown.

Snowshill Manor - National Trust, former home of a Kleptomaniac! :lol:

Its virtually impossible to single one out because museums often cover a single subject. I do love quirky places with unexpected objects. :D

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mistik-ka

Post by Mistik-ka »

iandriver wrote:Ah, the pencil museum in Keswick on those rainy holidays in the lakes

Rainy holidays in the Lakes! :shock:
Why weren't we warned? :(
I guess it's too late to cancel our airline tickets… :lol:

Oh well, the Cumberland sausage from Waberthwaite will serve as a compensation, I suppose (and we've already got a shopping list drawn up for the shop at the Pencil Museum). :D
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

I like all museums - keep missing out on the Pencil Museum though!

My favourite museum of all time by a considerable margin is the Royal Tyrrell in Alberta, an amazing place.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

What about museum charges? Many museums in the UK are free to enter (which are not?) but one may make a donation

The railway museum in Utrecht charges 16€, most of the rolling stock in this "Dutch" museum was made in Britain or Germany :?

I don't mind paying to see something that interests me, 5€ is fine

What effect did free admission have, did many more people go? That might make the visit less enjoyable
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

The Irish folk museum near Omagh County Tyrone. Old cottages, a blacksmith forge, shops then you pass through a coffin ship to emerge in the new world . an Irish American Beamish if you like.
National Railway museum York.
Sammy Millers motorcycle museum
NUKe

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The Bowes Museum in Barnard Castle is a french chateau in the North of England, +1
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 8 Sep 2018, 6:42am, edited 1 time in total.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Was here on Saturday https://sinsheim.technik-museum.de/en/ . It's a hell of a museum. They even have about 70 racing bikes of various eras along with a couple of fifties/sixties TDF support vans in team colours.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Whippet

Post by Whippet »

Bovington tank museum, Portsmouth Historic shipyards - especially Victory and Warrior, Pitt Rivers in Oxford.