Favourite Museums

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
carpetcleaner

Re: Favourite Museums

Postby carpetcleaner » 19 Apr 2020, 8:50pm

Sweep wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:
Was it not the Bliar regime that scrapped admission charges for many museums?

Yes i think it was.
Charges to many of londons finest museums effectively a gift of la thatch, a philistine and so many other awful things. So i stopped going, and only returned when they were free again.
As i recall the british museum was the only major museum that maintained free admission.
More glory to them.

You mean you started going again when everyone else paid towards your entrance fee even though most of them didn't want to visit?

My favourite museum is the British Museum. Endlessly fascinating. Pity it is in London at one end of the island. I think it should be moved to a more central location, perhaps Birmingham, to make access easier for more people in the midlands,and the north. If it was there I'd visit more often from my home in suburban Cheshire.

jgurney

Postby jgurney » 19 Apr 2020, 9:24pm

Did anyone else here visit the museum of chimney pots which was once at Tollard Royal, Dorset? I came upon it in the mid-1980's while riding between (now extinct) Cranbourne YH and (extant) Street YH. I gather the exhibits have now been removed to Blandford Forum.

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 6 Jul 2020, 9:27am

jgurney wrote:Did anyone else here visit the museum of chimney pots which was once at Tollard Royal, Dorset? I came upon it in the mid-1980's while riding between (now extinct) Cranbourne YH and (extant) Street YH. I gather the exhibits have now been removed to Blandford Forum.

Not been there unfortunately

Pendon museum is one of my favourites, perfect models of GWR scenes plus the Madder Valley Railway
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 7 Jul 2020, 7:15am

Browsed through a book with pictures of paintings, sitting at home

How much more agreeable than spending time and money travelling to a busy art gallery in the metropolis, I thought (I like little museums)
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

pete75

Postby pete75 » 7 Jul 2020, 10:26am

carpetcleaner wrote:
Sweep wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:
Was it not the Bliar regime that scrapped admission charges for many museums?

Yes i think it was.
Charges to many of londons finest museums effectively a gift of la thatch, a philistine and so many other awful things. So i stopped going, and only returned when they were free again.
As i recall the british museum was the only major museum that maintained free admission.
More glory to them.

You mean you started going again when everyone else paid towards your entrance fee even though most of them didn't want to visit?

My favourite museum is the British Museum. Endlessly fascinating. Pity it is in London at one end of the island. I think it should be moved to a more central location, perhaps Birmingham, to make access easier for more people in the midlands,and the north. If it was there I'd visit more often from my home in suburban Cheshire.

You don't seem to object to everyone else paying for you to visit that even though most of them don't visit. Some years ago I recall hearing the head of the BM saying all the objects therein belonged to the public and it was wrong to charge people to look at their own property. The same applies to the other major national museums.